- Today's comic by Ruben Bolling is Percival Dunwoody, Idiot Time-Traveler From 1909:
- Reubin Askew, 85, R.I.P.. As the Democratic governor of Florida in the 1970s, Askew guided the state through a tumultuous period of school integration.
His eight years in office coincided with the end of the Vietnam War, Watergate and dramatic social change across the nation. He was a liberal on racial issues and crusaded for overhauling the state's tax laws, open government, environmental protection, ethics legislation and streamlining the courts and other governmental agencies.
Upon being elected governor, Askew immediately called a special session of the Legislature to put on the ballot a constitutional amendment for a corporate income tax. Askew stumped the state in support of the measure that voters adopted by a 2-1 margin.
- Rep. John Dingell hospitalized for minimally invasive heart surgery.
- Year one for Pope Francis:
One year ago Thursday, a relatively obscure prelate from Argentina made his debut as the new leader of the world’s oldest Christian church, stepping out onto the fabled balcony overlooking St. Peter’s Square and joking that his brother cardinals had gone to “the end of the earth” to find a pope.
For an institution legendary for taking itself rather seriously, that flash of humor alone communicated that this wasn’t going to be your grandfather’s kind of pontiff.
- Motorist evading cops runs down SXSW crowd, killing two:
Authorities say police in downtown Austin tried to pull over the man driving a small Toyota at about 12:30 a.m., when he snaked through the lot of a corner gas station, went the wrong way down 9th Street, and then accelerated onto a block closed off for the festival. Witnesses say he “gunned” the car when turning onto Red River, a central street crowded with clubs and bars, and drove “at full speed” into the crowd.
- Yes, they're still idiots: Foxaganda entertainers are pushing the idea that if the Keystone XL pipeline were built in a speeded-up fashion, it would "weaken" Russia in its clash with Ukraine. But even if the final 1,167-mile segment of the pipeline were approved for construction tomorrow, it could not be built in time to have an impact on Moscow's efforts to reabsorb Crimea. Moreover, the 830,000 barrels a day of tar sands petroleum the pipeline would transport wouldn't be enough to affect the 92 million-barrels-a-day global market enough to have an effect on Russia, according to energy analyst Chris Nelder.
- Surprise. Not:
...with poll after poll showing that Clinton would be a strong frontrunner for the 2016 presidential race, critics and media analysts alike are already struggling to cover the former secretary of state without falling into sexist tropes.
Just this week, the Chicago Sun-Times‘ new political website Early & Often ran a profile on her ”many facial expressions,” many of them intended to be comical or absurd; it’s hard to imagine a male politician getting the same treatment.
- Proposed Georgia law would allow people to carry guns in airports. And K-12 schools, churches, bars and government buildings. The "Safe Carry Protection Act" (HB 875) has a few other provisions, too:
The sweeping bill would also expand the state's Stand your Ground law into an "absolute" defense for the use of deadly force in self-protection. "Defense of self or others," the bills reads "shall be an absolute defense to any violation under this part." In its current wording, the bill would even allow individuals who possess a gun illegally—convicted felons, for example—to still claim a Stand Your Ground defense.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show: Greg Dworkin on the Pulitzer "Snowden Effect", the Malaysian airliner mystery, ACA polls, new social media data, and proposed new overtime rules. Biz groups say they're "stunned" by the overtime proposal. "My Life as a Retail Worker"
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
eeff, navajo, Eyesbright, Major Kong, coloradorob, onionjim, JeffW, LinSea, FogCityJohn, annieli, wintergreen8694, Joe Jackson, ratcityreprobate, aresea
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- There's an old Monty Python sketch in which a "Face the Press" interviewer grills the Minister for Home Affairs: "You claimed that you would build 88,000 million, billion houses a year in the ...3 comments 9 Recs
- I just finished George Marshall's book Don’t Even Think about It: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Ignore Climate Change . The timing could not be more ironic for I also read this diary by ...27 comments 20 Recs
- Precinct Organizing Support Sought My county's Precinct Organizing Committee is planning a "train the trainers" session in July. I'm working with a couple of folks to track down good hands-on ...31 comments 11 Recs
- Texas' state Senate districts (click to enlarge) In a move that election law expert Rick Hasen characterizes as "surprising," the Supreme Court ...27 comments 10 Recs
- Hey KTK peeps! It's me again, signing on from Austin where it is sunny and...oh wait it looks like it might rain again tonight after all. Was that thunder in the distance AGAIN? Maybe it was just ...105 comments 70 Recs
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues" is a casual community diary (published Monday - Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography and other things of ...52 comments 27 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12429)
- Afghanistan (11509)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25084)
- Community (91365)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56277)
- eKos (12468)
- Environment (46314)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15119)
- Jobs (12491)
- Labor (28720)
- Libya (4270)