Click here to add your name:When you turn on your tap, the last thing you expect to come rushing out are toxic chemicals.
But that’s exactly what happened earlier this year in Charleston, West Virginia. Around 10,000 gallons of chemicals from a nearby plant contaminated the city’s water supply, leaving about 300,000 residents without access to drinkable water.
What’s more frustrating is that, with proper oversight, this disaster could have been averted. The plant that spilled those chemicals and polluted Charleston’s water supply had not been inspected by state or federal regulators in two years. We cannot afford that kind of risk anywhere. Not in West Virginia, and not in the Southwest, where water is scarce during this historic drought.I’m joining with my friend and fellow Senator from West Virginia, Joe Manchin, to urge Washington to act and protect our water. We can prevent future chemical spills like the one in Charleston. Add your voice to ours and sign the petition today.
This disaster could have happened anywhere. We need to make our voices heard in favor of safeguards that will ensure events like the spill in Charleston won't happen in New Mexico, or anywhere else in America.
Thank you for adding your signature to this important effort.
Received this e-mail today from Senator Tom Udall (D. NM):
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
BlackSheep1, KayCeSF, AoT, gooderservice, kurt, Thinking Fella, flitedocnm, jan4insight, Glen The Plumber, wylieSteve
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- You can watch it Live now. Why Bernie matters: A 2016 primary run by Bernie ...215 comments 217 Recs
- Sorry, Sen. Johnson. The House just doesn't care about your political prospects. Things are getting just slightly urgent for Republicans faced with the possibility that the Supreme Court will ...45 comments 31 Recs
- Fighting it to the end. Thanks to 14 Democrats joining all-but-five Senate Republicans in approving fast-track trade legislation last week, it's now up to the House, which is where most close ...93 comments 78 Recs
- Gubernatorial frontrunner GOP Sen. David ...7 comments 8 Recs
- A confluence of two ideas: the Democrats are not being serious about hiking the minimum wage AND Bernie Sanders makes a more formal presidential campaign announcement today. These are connected ideas.232 comments 148 Recs
- Ann Kirkpatrick Tuesday morning brought some exciting news for Arizona Democrats, as Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick announced she'd run against veteran ...56 comments 59 Recs
- Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski lost her 2010 primary, and she may be a conservative target again Last week, Roll Call reported that state Sen. Mike ...2 comments 6 Recs
- No current results.