Tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day, and I had two main choices for tonight's diary:
1. Chime in on the South Boston Allied War Veteran's Council tradition of being bigoted homophobes excluding people from their annual St. Patrick's Day Parade. (Why a Veteran's Council in charge of a St. Patrick's Day Parade? Welcome to Evacuation Day, a lovely little holiday which could also be known as How To Get St. Patrick's Day Off In Suffolk County Which Yes Includes Boston.) I am thrilled that Irish-American Mayor Marty Walsh, many other politicians, Sam Adams, Heineken and more refuse to participate in today's parade.
2. Music appropriate for the Wearing o' the Green.
This is me we're talking about, so pop below the
dingledoodle squigglie dKosaboxty dividerthingie fold after a word from our sponsor...
Here at Top Comments we strive to nourish community by rounding up some of the site's best, funniest, most mojo'd & most informative commentary, and we depend on your help!! If you see a comment by another Kossack that deserves wider recognition, please send it either to topcomments at gmail or to the Top Comments group mailbox by 9:30pm Eastern. Please please please include a few words about why you sent it in as well as your user name (even if you think we know it already :-)), so we can credit you with the find!
That's right, music :-). For your listening pleasure tonight, a set of tunes from Irish/Celtic musicians. No genre specificity and yes, I know that some of them aren't originally from Ireland... but they might as well have been!
- Danny Boy - Frederic Weatherly Given that everyone, as far as I can tell, has done a rendition of this song, I went with Commander Chris Hadfield recorded in an Irish pub.What are you listening to these days?
- The Emperor's New Clothes - Sinead O'Connor I know it's not her "signature" song, but I've always liked this one better.
- Whiskey In The Jar - Traditional, Metallica rendition Love this tune, and discovered via the magic of Wikipedia that American Colonials liked the song because of 'its irreverent attitude toward British officials".
- I'm Shipping Up To Boston - Dropkick Murphys Yeah yeah, not Irish. But unequivocally linked to St. Patrick's Day, Celtic punk, and they are political allies :). Oh, and pirates and wooden legs. You want me NOT to include that?!
- I Don't Like Mondays - Boomtown Rats Bob Geldof, singing our universal Sunday night theme song...
- Orinoco Flow - Enya Still one of my favorite tunes, makes me think of beaches, oceans and cold drinks with little umbrellas.
- Toss The Feathers - Traditional, The Corrs rendition You thought I'd choose their cover of "When The Stars Go Blue" didn't you?
- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2 Would it have been a list of Irish musicians without these lads? I could do an entire playlist of them, so choosing just this one was hard. This rendition, featuring U2 + Bruce Springsteen, is marvelous.
Brillig's ObDisclaimer: The decision to publish each nomination lies with the evening's Diarist and/or Comment Formatter. My evenings at the helm, I try reeeeallllyy hard to publish everything without regard to content. I really do, even when I disagree personally with any given nomination. "TopCommentness" lies in the eyes of the nominator and of you, the reader - I leave the decision to you. I do not publish self-nominations (ie your own comments) and if I ruled the world, we'd all build community, supporting and uplifting instead of tearing our fellow Kossacks down.
Short form: No agenda, and I publish all noms and let you sort out what it all means to you. No self-noms. Until dailykos gives me a salary, all thoughts are my own :).
From Dragon5616:In my Connect! Unite! Act! dairy about movie monsters, The Marti offered this all-too-true analogy.
From Tara the Antisocial Social Worker:If you haven't read Hunter's righteous rant The damnation of the happy slave, you must. In discussing right-wing revisionism around slavery and racism, Hunter observes that, "We need to stop being, to be blunt, stupid." Which gives annieli an idea for a movie.
From Yours Truly, brillig:scribblingTiresias had the best description of Paul Ryan ever, replying to niemann's mention of Dickens in Egberto Willies's diary Fox conservative commentator admits America has Third World Healthcare.
Top Mojo for yesterday, March 16th, first comments and tip jars excluded. Thank you mik for the mojo magic! For those of you interested in How Top Mojo Works, please see his diary FAQing Top Mojo.
1) No, his circumstances changed, he became by Agathena — 115
2) LOL Bob...uh, DUCK! by praenomen — 86
3) Apparently voting and getting Dems in office by ChemBob — 81
4) "Purity" by Phoebe Loosinhouse — 80
5) What makes it so damn hard is that in a lot by JesseCW — 78
6) Kos is a pretty good by david mizner — 76
7) The headline of your comment is a very valid... by bobswern — 76
8) If We Don't Maintain at Least Some Threat Level by bink — 74
9) Even when I was a devout little Methodist boy... by rbird — 74
10) We're never allowed to run a liberal Democrat by Phoebe Loosinhouse — 73
11) We had this happen a few months ago. by FloridaSNMOM — 72
12) You have absolutely no idea at all what I do or by JesseCW — 66
13) Wow! by Phoebe Loosinhouse — 64
14) HA! I was waiting for the Benghaziiiiiiii. by zenbassoon — 63
15) I've been voting for Democrats longer than Kos has by dkmich — 62
16) It didn't take the tea part-ers two by dfarrah — 60
17) Oh, man. by raptavio — 60
18) Everyone has their personal line in the sand by Phoebe Loosinhouse — 59
19) "Isn't life hard enough without by anon004 — 58
20) I'll never understand why by Publius2008 — 56
21) I'm here by gerard w — 55
22) for the first time ever, the investigators by edrie — 54
23) While you brighten the place by complaining by JesseCW — 54
24) :) by Pam from Calif — 53
25) To Hair Is Human; To Wig, Divine by bink — 53
26) Dude, please. by DeadHead — 52
27) I'm here to stir up shit by BOHICA — 52
28) Gasp! kos may have changed his mind! by fou — 51
29) OhHai T-Dub! Kittehs, Advantage, Because Caturdai: by leonard145b — 51
30) How about supporting better Dems in primaries? by RFK Lives — 49
31) No dogs allowed by BOHICA — 49
32) Plausible, maybe by alysheba — 49
33) Kos long ago admitted by Land of Enchantment — 49
34) This feels plausible by Dave in Northridge — 49
35) are latina women allowed? Or by Lenny Flank — 49
Top Pictures for yesterday, March 16th. Click any image to be taken to the full comment. Thank you jotter for the image magic!