The Senate voted to end debate on the motion to proceed to H.R. 3979, the Protecting Volunteer Firefighters and Emergency Responders Act, which will be used as the legislative vehicle to extend federal unemployment insurance for five months.Once it's through the Senate, the bill's fate, and the fate of around two million long-term unemployed people, will be in the House's hands. Speaker John Boehner has repeatedly expressed opposition to this bill, but a relatively strong bipartisan vote in the Senate will put him under added pressure to allow a vote.
The vote sets up 30 hours of debate before proceeding to the bill, but lawmakers have said they expect a vote on final passage by Friday.
A five-month extension of emergency jobless aid achieved cloture in the Senate by a wider-than-predicted margin Thursday afternoon. The five Republican senators involved in crafting the deal plus all Democrats would have been enough to break the filibuster on the bill, which provides five additional months of unemployment insurance to people who've been jobless for six months or more. Then Sens. Dean Heller, Lisa Murkowski, Susan Collins, Mark Kirk, and Rob Portman were joined by fellow Republicans Kelly Ayotte, Pat Toomey, Bob Corker, Ron Johnson, and Dan Coats. The bill moved forward 65 to 34 and should keep moving:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
eeff, ChemBob, brentut5, gpoutney, BeninSC, mconvente, BobBlueMass, Involuntary Exile, divineorder, Jonohex, Larsstephens, Its the Supreme Court Stupid, annieli, bgblcklab1, Mr MadAsHell, This old man, bewareofme, Dodgerdog1, Arkenstark
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Laura Clawson
- Yes, it's been a while since I've done a GunFAIL update here at Daily Kos. But no, I never stopped keeping records on accidental shootings, guns left behind in bathrooms, and the like. In fact, I ...82 comments 256 Recs
- I am sad, but also excited, to announce that after 11 years I am leaving Daily Kos and joining Raintank , where I will be working on monitoring software and doing devsy-opsy. It's been a long and ...120 comments 293 Recs
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...132 comments 136 Recs
- To give voice to 35 workers killed on the job over the past 35 years at a massive refinery in Texas City, hundreds of surviving family members, co-workers and friends gathered there last month to ...4 comments 19 Recs
- Like many, I am watching the terrible events in Baltimore play out, and am also following the very disturbing details of Freddie Gray's death as they are revealed. I'm writing tonight because the ...115 comments 164 Recs
- Watching the discussion around the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) gives me a nasty sense of déjà vu. Long before joining AFGE, I worked as a food service worker, licensed practical nurse, and ...178 comments 208 Recs
- Americans across the political spectrum need to rise up and stop Fast Track now! The good news is that overwhelmingly House Democrats will vote No! The bad news is that lined up against them, and ...4 comments 14 Recs
- At the American Association of Editorial Cartoonists in Washington, D.C. in 2012, Dan Perkins appears with Sparky the Penguin, his avatar and a leading character in his cartoon This ...60 comments 222 Recs
- This is no plea for pity for corporate kingpins like Walmart and McDonald’s inundated by workers’ demands for living wages. Raises would, of course, cost these billion-dollar corporations ...7 comments 19 Recs
- Tonight, starting at 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT and running for about 15 hours, we will be taking Daily Kos offline to implement a major upgrade to the infrastructure behind the site. There should be no ...239 comments 179 Recs