Click here to add your name:
For the last 10 months I have been traveling across South Dakota talking to people in their kitchens, cafes, living rooms, and businesses about taking our country back from the billionaires. It's a message I intend to take to the halls of the United States Senate.
Yesterday's Supreme Court ruling in the McCutcheon case makes this more urgent than ever. They just eliminated one of the last limits on billionaires' ability to buy our elections. It's Citizens United on steroids.
This ruling is a tipping point for our democracy. If we don't stop them, billionaires will use their wealth to block our efforts to revive the American dream. Now is the time to fight back.
We have a plan to undo this ruling and restore people power to elections. I'm proud to join Democracy for America and a coalition of progressive organizations in the fight to take back our democracy by supporting the recently introduced Government By The People Act.
This bill will help reverse the impact of both the McCutcheon and Citizens United rulings, and will end the legalized bribery that undermines the democratic process.
The Government By The People Act is already sponsored by over 130 Representatives. We can force the rest of Congress to support this bill by showing massive public outrage over today's horrible court decision.
Click here to join me and DFA in telling Congress to reverse McCutcheon and Citizens United by passing the Government By The People Act.
This is not how our government is supposed to work. Billionaires are not supposed to pick election winners -- the people are. How can anyone say unlimited campaign contributions don't influence elected officials? Have you seen presidential candidates beating down your door and asking for your support? Then again, you and I don't have a billion dollars to buy a politician.
One of the main reasons DFA endorsed my campaign for Senate is my commitment to get big money out of politics. If I'm elected to the Senate, I will support the Government By The People Act. But I will go further.
On the back of my business card is the text of a constitutional amendment that would overturn both Citizens United and McCutcheon and bring sanity back to our campaigns. It is straightforward: "So that the votes of all, rather than the wealth of the few, shall direct the course of this Republic, Congress shall have the power to limit the raising and spending of money with respect to federal elections..."
The Government By The People Act is the first step. Join me and DFA in telling Congress to reverse McCutcheon and Citizens United and pass this bill now.
Thank you for standing with me and DFA to take our democracy back from billionaires.
Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate, South Dakota
Received this e-mail today from U.S. Senate candidate Rick Weiland (D. SD) and Democracy For America:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
scribeboy, cotterperson, jancw, Gowrie Gal, gpoutney, doingbusinessas, slakn1, gfv6800, JamieG from Md, Greenfinches, pierre9045, BMScott
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski lost her 2010 primary, and she may be a conservative target again Last week, Roll Call reported that state Sen. Mike ...2 comments 6 Recs
- The Senate voted 62-38 Thursday morning to advance the ...95 comments 34 Recs
- This is worth the 155 seconds it takes to watch, if for no other reason than it will bring a smile to your face. A friend once told me that the secret of Monty Python's success was that the ...137 comments 219 Recs
- Elizabeth Warren wants Hillary Clinton to say "no" to Fast ...7 comments 19 Recs
- In the wake of Jeb Bush's whiplash-producing reversal last week, the U.S. media is engaged in a feeding frenzy over who would have supported the Iraq war " knowing what we know now ." ...57 comments 75 Recs
- I don't know how these people remember to keep breathing . Sen. ...62 comments 53 Recs
- (photo credit: G. Pisano) On Hardball tonight, Chris Matthews interviewed ex-CIA Deputy Director (and Acting Director) under George W. Bush, Michael Morrell. Here is a ...278 comments 440 Recs
- (image courtesy of SwitchYourBank.org) Late-night breaking from Bloomberg : UBS Group AG said its main unit will plead guilty to fraud in the U.S. for manipulating benchmark interest rates ...172 comments 298 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi could be key in the fight over fast-track trade legislation. Senate Majority Leader Mitch ...46 comments 59 Recs
- Matt Bevin has apparently won the Kentucky GOP nod for governor by 83 votes. We were expecting a tight GOP gubernatorial primary in Kentucky, but not this tight! With all precincts reporting, tea ...17 comments 19 Recs
- No current results.