House Rules Chairman Pete Sessions of Texas and other senior Republicans are pushing proposals to tie the extension of emergency unemployment insurance to jobs measures and the extension of some tax breaks in an attempt to bring the plan to the House floor. [...]Great. House Republican energy plans (drill! Keystone XL!) and House Republican jobs plans (tax breaks for businesses! Keystone XL!) in exchange for a short-term extension of unemployment aid that will be almost entirely retroactive by the time they're done taking recess and coming up with a list of demands. Still, the fact that they're even talking about putting forward any unemployment extension is a sign that they're feeling some pressure.
Rep. Peter Roskam, R-Ill., chief deputy whip and a senior tax writer, said no decision had been reached on add-ons, but that some lawmakers were floating ideas. “There’s a lot of discussion of merging UI to this or to that, energy and other things,” Roskam said.
Rep. Pete Sessions (R-TX)
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
eeff, Eyesbright, jane123, begone, gpoutney, onionjim, BeninSC, millwood, JeffW, Larsstephens, Amber6541, kjoftherock, ericlewis0, slice, annieli, bgblcklab1, FarWestGirl, Vatexia, allergywoman, a2nite, This old man, AverageJoe42, benamery21, Cadillac64, kfunk937, BMScott
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Laura Clawson
- I am sad, but also excited, to announce that after 11 years I am leaving Daily Kos and joining Raintank , where I will be working on monitoring software and doing devsy-opsy. It's been a long and ...112 comments 265 Recs
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...130 comments 133 Recs
- To give voice to 35 workers killed on the job over the past 35 years at a massive refinery in Texas City, hundreds of surviving family members, co-workers and friends gathered there last month to ...4 comments 17 Recs
- Like many, I am watching the terrible events in Baltimore play out, and am also following the very disturbing details of Freddie Gray's death as they are revealed. I'm writing tonight because the ...114 comments 162 Recs
- Watching the discussion around the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) gives me a nasty sense of déjà vu. Long before joining AFGE, I worked as a food service worker, licensed practical nurse, and ...178 comments 206 Recs
- Americans across the political spectrum need to rise up and stop Fast Track now! The good news is that overwhelmingly House Democrats will vote No! The bad news is that lined up against them, and ...4 comments 13 Recs
- At the American Association of Editorial Cartoonists in Washington, D.C. in 2012, Dan Perkins appears with Sparky the Penguin, his avatar and a leading character in his cartoon This ...59 comments 218 Recs
- This is no plea for pity for corporate kingpins like Walmart and McDonald’s inundated by workers’ demands for living wages. Raises would, of course, cost these billion-dollar corporations ...7 comments 19 Recs
- Tonight, starting at 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT and running for about 15 hours, we will be taking Daily Kos offline to implement a major upgrade to the infrastructure behind the site. There should be no ...239 comments 178 Recs
- I’m going to write about community tonight, since it was my home when I first came to Daily Kos, and it’s my home now. Carnacki began Top Comments on June 14, 2006. He asked for diarists, I ...86 comments 52 Recs