Skip to main content

If you thought Greg Abbott still didn't have enough explaining to do, I'd love to see how he tries to explain the position his party's candidate for state controller has taken on raising sales taxes.
The GOP's controller candidate, Glenn Hegar, has proposed jacking up our state's sales tax from 8.5 percent (at least here in Dallas County) to as much as 20 percent. So much for Republicans as conservative taxpayer's champions.
Here's an ad from the campaign of Hegar's Democratic opponent, Mike Collier, featuring Hegar's own words on his proposal:
https://www.youtube.com/...
More below.

Collier has done more than just present an ad with Hegar's own words. He also provided this fact sheet.
In addition, the Waco Tribune has also slammed Hegar's plan in this editorial.
Here's part of the Waco Tribune editorial:

One lesson immediately suggests itself in the ongoing dust-up between Republican and Democratic candidates for state comptroller: You should exercise care about rhetoric geared to gain applause or approval from a select group of voters; it may come back to haunt you. That situation has been dogging Republican state comptroller candidate Glenn Hegar ever since he told a tea party audience that he favors elimination of property taxes and simply hiking the sales tax.
Result: Democratic opponent Mike Collier has been getting unexpected traction by demonstrating that, to replace the nearly $45 billion raised for cities, counties and schools through property taxes, you’d have to raise the common state and local sales tax of 8.25 percent (which produces about $28 billion statewide) to somewhere between 20 and 25 percent. That means if you buy a $100 suit, you could pay $25 in taxes. Ouch!
To someone like me struggling to make ends meet, Hegar's proposal would spell financial disaster. It'd be the same for many folks who the GOP is fighting to keep from voting merely because they may not have the means to secure the documents needed to gain acceptable voter ID.
It also would mean that folks who find Texas to be an affordable place to live would be forced to leave instead of paying Hegar's tax. Texas, sad to say, would become the land of the rich that says to h--- with the poor and less well to do.
That is not the Texas my wife and I moved to just under 20 years ago. I'm very thankful that President Obama made it possible for us to achieve affordable health care coverage for both of us that Republicans are still fighting to take away from us.
I like how Mike Collier has taken the fight to Hegar on this matter. I hope other Democrats force their Republican counterparts to take sides on Hegar's tax. No amount of hiding behind surrogates and games of Etch-a-Sketch and rope-a-dope can shield Republicans from the electoral h--- that awaits them once folks become aware of what one of its candidates is proposing. The Republicans may try to masquerade as friends of Texas taxpayers, but this Hegar proposal makes the GOP's longtime claim what it really has been-- a total and complete lie.
For more on Mike Collier's campaign for Texas comptroller, check out his site: http://www.collierfortexas.com/. I sure like the way he, like Wendy Davis, has put Republicans on the defensive.
EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

A tag is a way to search for this diary. If someone is searching for "Barack Obama," is this a diary they'd be trying to find?

Use a person's full name, without any title. Senator Obama may become President Obama, and Michelle Obama might run for office.

If your diary covers an election or elected official, use election tags, which are generally the state abbreviation followed by the office. CA-01 is the first district House seat. CA-Sen covers both senate races. NY-GOV covers the New York governor's race.

Tags do not compound: that is, "education reform" is a completely different tag from "education". A tag like "reform" alone is probably not meaningful.

Consider if one or more of these tags fits your diary: Civil Rights, Community, Congress, Culture, Economy, Education, Elections, Energy, Environment, Health Care, International, Labor, Law, Media, Meta, National Security, Science, Transportation, or White House. If your diary is specific to a state, consider adding the state (California, Texas, etc). Keep in mind, though, that there are many wonderful and important diaries that don't fit in any of these tags. Don't worry if yours doesn't.

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed from the site and returned to your drafts for further editing.)
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

  •  More Dem candidates need to do this... (7+ / 0-)

    rip the scabs of untruth off of the Republicans' ridiculous legislative and regulatory proposals, and expose GOP legislators for what they are: a mendacious group of predators, bent on sticking it to the 99% every freakin' chance they can, to further line the pockets of their 1% overlords.

    America's LAST HOPE: vote the GOP OUT in 2014 elections. MAKE them LOSE the House Majority and reduce their numbers in the Senate. Democrats move America forward - Republicans take us backward and are KILLING OUR NATION!

    by dagnome on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 11:21:57 AM PDT

  •  Abbott could shoot his wife in the head (2+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    alaprst, yoduuuh do or do not

    right there in the church pew and he's still going to get the vote of every Republican in Texas who goes to the polls. We need to accept that there is literally no amount of deprivation someone on the Right can do that would convince even a right winger to vote for a Democrat. I mean that literally.

    Remember, these are the same people who hung women as witches in Salem in the 1600s, lynched blacks less than a century ago and pulled gay kids behind pickup trucks a decade or so ago. You think they'll be troubled by one of their own doing anything?

    I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. - Susan B. Anthony

    by pajoly on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 11:28:31 AM PDT

  •  Dems nationwide should capitalize on this (1+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    alaprst

    And vow to not raise regressive taxes of any kind.

    This means no (i) carbon tax or (ii) cap and trade or (iii) increase in the federal/state/local gas tax.

    To support any increase of any regressive tax is to support income inequality.

    Learn about Centrist Economics, learn about Robert Rubin's Hamilton Project. www.hamiltonproject.org

    by PatriciaVa on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 02:44:33 PM PDT

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site