- Today's comic by Tom Tomorrow is Rancher Bundy:
- This is what you missed on Sunday...
Not this Chait again: or, hating Obama is part of the right's racial animus, by Dante Atkins
Remember when the GOP was the patriotic, law and order party?, by Mark E Andersen
Anything Russian 'in czarist times' is fair game in Putin's mind, by Ian Reifowitz
The ghosts, joys and unexpected obsessions of seeing it live, by Laura Clawson
Repeat after me: President. Obama. Is. Black, by Denise Oliver Velez
- Wrongfully imprisoned Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dead at 76:
Carter was a contender for the middleweight boxing crown in the 1960s, but his life and career were derailed when he and another man were convicted of three murders that took place at a bar in Paterson, N.J., in 1966.
Carter maintained his innocence and his advocates kept working for his release after his 1967 murder conviction.[...]
A federal court "found that police and prosecutors had violated Carter's rights to a fair trial," as NPR's Nina Totenberg reported back in 1999, "not to mention the trial judge, who allowed the prosecution to put on a case that the federal courts later found to be tainted by an appeal to racial prejudice."
- While talking safety, Sen. Blumenthal almost gets clobbered by train:
Naturally, it happened for Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) at a news conference on commuter safety ... right after the guy next to him says, "Safety, as you know, is paramount."
- Three-million-year-old tundra found at bottom of Greenland ice sheet:
The new discovery indicates that even during the warmest periods since the ice sheet formed, the center of Greenland remained stable; "it's likely that it did not fully melt at any time," Vermont's Bierman said. This allowed a tundra landscape to be locked away, unmodified, under ice through millions of years of global warming and cooling.
- Official Bush I rainbow socks featured for GOP fund-raiser.
- Boy Scouts boot entire church that won't discriminate against gay Scoutmaster:
The troop has stood by its openly gay Scoutmaster in the face of the national organization’s attempt to remove him for being an “avowed homosexual.”
Last year, the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) lifted its ban on openly gay youth—but reaffirmed its ban on openly LGBT adults serving as volunteers or professionals in the organization.
Geoff McGrath, an openly gay 49-year-old Eagle Scout, started a Boy Scout troop a few months later, in the Rainier Beach section of Seattle, Washington. The chartering organization, an LGBT-inclusive United Methodist Church, reportedly encouraged McGrath to take the volunteer position, well aware of his record pro-equality activism.
- L.A. Sheriff's Office spied on a whole city:
In a secret test of mass surveillance technology, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department sent a civilian aircraft over Compton, California, capturing high-resolution video of everything that happened inside that 10-square-mile municipality.
Compton residents weren't told about the spying, which happened in 2012. "We literally watched all of Compton during the times that we were flying, so we could zoom in anywhere within the city of Compton and follow cars and see people," Ross McNutt of Persistence Surveillance Systems told the Center for Investigative Reporting. The technology he's trying to sell to police departments all over America can stay aloft for up to six hours. Like Google Earth, it enables police to zoom in on certain areas.
- Bad news about California drought:
[N]early 69 percent of the state is still either under extreme or exceptional drought. And a remarkable 95 percent of the state is still suffering from severe drought or worse.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, Greg Dworkin's in the pundit roundup! "Doc satisfaction." What happens when "power goes to your head." More Gop war over Common Core. Dems urged to run proudly on ACA. UAW drops NLRB appeal of VW vote. Christie still toast.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
eeff, lyvwyr101, JVolvo, JeffW, annieli, anyname, FarWestGirl, wintergreen8694, DRo, Eric Nelson, George3, Cadillac64
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- The Senate voted tonight on TPP and it turned out better than some had expected: “I'm absolutely happy, because no country should get in with that designation,” [Sherrod] Brown said. “I'll be ...69 comments 70 Recs
- OND Editors OND is a community feature on Daily Kos, consisting of news stories from around the world, sometimes coupled with a daily theme, original research or commentary. Editors of OND ...23 comments 23 Recs
- Um, so apparently no one was scheduled for tonight. Consider this an open thread while your TC team throws the rest together.95 comments 41 Recs
- 4 comments 12 Recs
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues" is a casual community diary (published Monday - Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography and other things of ...85 comments 26 Recs
- [Mikey Weinstein]: This guest Op-Ed from my dear friend, Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF) Advisory Board member, and former Secretary of State Colin Powell’s Chief of Staff Lawrence ...6 comments 41 Recs
- Healthcare reform is not done. Not by a long shot. While Obamacare has gone a very long way ...14 comments 17 Recs
- Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-TX) Sen.9 comments 14 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12390)
- Afghanistan (11508)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25013)
- Community (91174)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56220)
- eKos (12466)
- Environment (46195)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15064)
- Jobs (12469)
- Labor (28637)
- Libya (4270)