- Today's comic by Jen Sorensen is Racist idiot PR:
- These Daily Kos community posts were the most shared on Facebook April 28:
- In private ceremony, Rick Perry is baptized in same river as Sam Houston was 160 years ago:
With only close friends and family looking on, the born-again Christian governor was baptized outdoors, in the spring waters once used to wash the sins off Sam Houston, the first elected president of the Republic of Texas and one of the most colorful political figures in American history. [...]
The creek has suffered from the lingering Texas drought and these days is often covered with algae and lily pads. So before Perry went to be baptized, Hassell said he asked the local volunteer fire department to spray off the gunk to clear a good spot for the Texas governor.
- ICYMI, Clippers' owner is a Republican:
Conservatives— including Matt Drudge, The National Review, and The Daily Caller—have taken time since the Sterling story broke to describe him as a Democrat or point to Sterling's past contributions to Democratic politicians.While Sterling has in the past contributed a few thousand dollars to Democratic candidates, he is a registered Republican.
- Elizabeth Warren will headline Netroots Nation '14 in Detroit: Her speech will be given July18. It will be Warren's third appearance at the gathering of Democratic and liberal political bloggers that was begun in 2006 as Yearly Kos. Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was also invited to speak, but her office declined.
- Flesh-eating fungus killed hospitalized children:
The children died of various causes between August 2008 and July 2009 during an outbreak of a flesh-eating fungal infection, mucormycosis, most likely spread by bed linens, towels or gowns, according to a medical journal. The disclosure this month caused new pain for the families of the children and raised troubling questions about how the infections came about, why doctors did not connect the cases until more than 10 months after the first death, and what obligation the hospital had to inform parents—and the community—of the outbreak.
- Best congressional websites and social media outreach awarded: The Congressional Management Foundation gave 80 members of Congress Golden Mouse Awards for “excellence in online communication.”
Florida Congressman Patrick Murphy (D) earned one for creating a photo contest that highlighted polluted waterways in his state. Illinois Sen. Mark Kirk (R) landed one for using Twitter to share his recovery from a stroke. And Pennsylvania Sen. Robert P. Casey Jr. (D) picked up one of the top prizes for Web-site development.
- Researchers build circuit board modeled on the human brain:
Stanford scientists have developed faster, more energy-efficient microchips based on the human brain—9,000 times faster and using significantly less power than a typical PC. This offers greater possibilities for advances in robotics and a new way of understanding the brain. For instance, a chip as fast and efficient as the human brain could drive prosthetic limbs with the speed and complexity of our own actions.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show: more bad Bush, Clinton "dynasty" comparisons. Greg Dworkin parses polls & notes Rs may finally learn ACA isn't going anywhere. Shooting news from GA, with its loose new gun laws. Time's "Do Guns Save Lives?" More from Issenberg.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Gooserock, marina, gpoutney, unclebucky, BeninSC, JeffW, commonmass, Onomastic, annieli, smiley7, wintergreen8694, Joe Jackson, Monsieur Georges, Eric Nelson, belinda ridgewood, George3, remembrance, aresea, Yo Bubba, The Marti
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- Protests against Shell's plan for Arctic drilling have received global attention. From the actions of kayaktivists around Seattle to Shell's annual stockholder meeting, Shell has been receiving a ...19 comments 40 Recs
- The same region devastated by the Santa Barbara Oil Spill devastated of 1969 is now the scene of a massive clean up of crude oil by the state and federal governments and volunteers. The ...4 comments 16 Recs
- Welcome to the 2015 Daily Kos Backyard Science Yardbird Race! This is the fifth tally for 2015, and is the official place to post your sightings, ask for help, and brag some if you wish. Here's ...82 comments 21 Recs
- Pardon me while I take one minute from what I'm doing to stop and ask the same question I've asked ever since I returned from Viet Nam. ...15 comments 29 Recs
- Dear Little Brother If you'd lived through Viet Nam, who would you be now? For one thing, you'd 69 years old, still six years younger than me. I still giggle when I remember how , as a child, you ...15 comments 84 Recs
- “America’s the richest country on Earth because we’ve been able to put capital together and we’ve been able to make our poor somewhat the envy of the world....If you go to India or you go ...6 comments 7 Recs
- "Where are we headed?" she said. "To a bar" I said. "a land without feelings or genuine interest In order To reduce the awareness of Our mortality thru sin, vice, and false language in a failed ...12 comments 13 Recs
- It's that time again..... my sixth annual meet-up by the lake ;-)3 comments 4 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12390)
- Afghanistan (11508)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25046)
- Community (91283)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56249)
- eKos (12467)
- Environment (46247)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15089)
- Jobs (12469)
- Labor (28669)
- Libya (4270)