The uninsured rate was lower in April than in the fourth quarter of 2013 across nearly every key demographic group. The rate dropped more among blacks than any other demographic group, falling 7.1 percentage points to 13.8%. Hispanics were expected to disproportionately benefit from the Affordable Care Act—commonly referred to as "Obamacare"—because they are the subgroup with the highest uninsured rate. Although the percentage of uninsured Hispanics, at 33.2%, is down 5.5 points since the end of 2013, this rate is still the highest by far across key demographic groups.The uninsured rate overall, but especially among lower-income people, would have dropped even more had every state decided to accept the Medicaid expansion. Of the 35 states that have uninsured rates of 15 percent or higher, 21 refused expansion. They've left 5 million people without coverage, purely out of political spite.
Similarly, the uninsured rate among lower-income Americans—those with an annual household income of less than $36,000—has also dropped by 5.5 points, to 25.2%, since the fourth quarter of 2013.
The new Gallup survey on the uninsured is making a big splash today because of its top line number: 13.4 percent, down from 15 percent in March. That decline, Gallup notes, shows the lowest rate of uninsured Americans since they began surveying this issue in January 2008. Where those declines happened is a huge part of the story, too, though. So is the fact that the declines would have been even larger but for Republican refusal to expand Medicaid.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Odysseus, assyrian64, glitterscale, splashy, lcrp, dopper0189, 4Freedom, john07801, Cronesense, jnhobbs, rhutcheson, Polly Syllabic, FarWestGirl, BarackStarObama, ratcityreprobate, FloridaSNMOM, George3, skepticalcitizen, GleninCA, cjtjc, BMScott
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Joan McCarter
- Need a bit of inspiration this morning? I've got just the story for you. On Tuesday, two men showed up on a street corner in Tillamook, Oregon, with signs reading "Homo sex is sin" and "Jesus said ...112 comments 411 Recs
- DKos Radio's KITM podcast (AUDIO): Greg & Joan blast 'bad intel' BS; TPP shell game targets MedicareWe kicked off with a recap of the ...1 comments 4 Recs
- Why even bother? Well, you guys went ahead and did a press avail, and ...267 comments 287 Recs
- Yes, it's been a while since I've done a GunFAIL update here at Daily Kos. But no, I never stopped keeping records on accidental shootings, guns left behind in bathrooms, and the like. In fact, I ...82 comments 254 Recs
- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie takes on civil liberties, domestic espionage, and ...106 comments 46 Recs
- (Click to enlarge) Follow Jen on Twitter at @...81 comments 95 Recs
- Seeking to avoid the multi-day saga that Jeb Bush endured ...145 comments 154 Recs
- Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island gave his 20-minute pilot floor speech on climate change in October 2011. But he began his weekly series with a climate change speech in April 2012. Since ...30 comments 80 Recs
Joan McCarter's Tags
- No current results.
Joan McCarter's Blogroll
- No current results.