- Today's comic by Jen Sorensen is Safe websurfing tips:
- Tonight marks the first of six straight weeks with primaries, as voters in Indiana, North Carolina, and Ohio head to the polls to pick nominees in races for the Senate and House. The biggest question looms in North Carolina's Senate contest, where state House Speaker Thom Tillis is hoping to avoid a runoff and get right to challenging Democratic Sen. Kay Hagan. So join us at Daily Kos Elections starting at 7:30 PM ET as we follow the returns from this race and all the others. And to get up to speed on the key battles tonight, check out our primary preview.
- These Daily Kos community posts were the most shared on Facebook May 5:
Woman Sexually Assaulted by NYPD Convicted of Felony Assault, by David Harris Gershon
- On the 77th anniversary of the Hindenburg disaster, some color photos of the interior: The two Hindenburg-class passenger carrying airships were named in honor of Paul von Hindenburg, a German general in World War I. They were the largest aircraft ever to fly and the last of their type ever built. More photos and drawings of the interior.
Each cabin had call buttons to summon a steward or stewardess, a small fold-down desk, a wash basin made of lightweight white plastic with taps for hot and cold running water, and a small closet covered with a curtain in which a limited number of suits or dresses could be hung; other clothes had to be kept in their suitcases, which could be stowed under the lower berth.
None of the cabins had toilet facilities; male and female toilets were available on B Deck below, as was a single shower, which provided a weak stream of water “more like that from a seltzer bottle” than a shower, according to Charles Rosendahl.
- Oregon Gov. Kitzhaber praised for saving woman's life with CPR.
- 10 Absurd "Christian" billboards:
7. Keep… baby Jesus fetus in Christmas? This sign, however, is a little less clear. According to this anti-choice Cleveland organization, Christmas starts with Christ, so we should keep Christ in it. And it also starts with baby Jesus as a halo-rocking fetus, so I guess we should keep him around too? So, no aborting baby Jesus on Christmas. Which sucks for atheists because that’s apparently how they celebrate the holiday.
- Climate disruption may be causing coffee rust epidemic. In Central America, la roya, a fungus known in English as coffee rust, is destroying the coffee crops that are the livelihood of up to four million people:
Big farmers hire fewer workers to pick the ripe coffee cherries that enclose the beans. Smaller farmers go into debt and sell livestock or tools to make up for the lost income. Sales fall at local merchants. Teenagers leave school to work on the farm because their parents can no longer hire outside help. At the very end of the chain are the landless migrant workers who earn just a few dollars a day. [...]
The coffee rust has spread far and fast, driven by higher temperatures in the region that have allowed the fungus to thrive at higher altitudes. Many experts say climate change is largely to blame for the shifting weather patterns.
- Lewinsky, 40, ends silence with article in Vanity Fair:
Maintaining that her affair with Clinton was one between two consenting adults, Lewinsky writes that it was the public humiliation she suffered in the wake of the scandal that permanently altered the direction of her life: “Sure, my boss took advantage of me, but I will always remain firm on this point: it was a consensual relationship. Any ‘abuse’ came in the aftermath, when I was made a scapegoat in order to protect his powerful position. [...] The Clinton administration, the special prosecutor’s minions, the political operatives on both sides of the aisle, and the media were able to brand me. And that brand stuck, in part because it was imbued with power.”
- New York lawmakers will introduce legislation against teams' with names using racial slurs, such as "Redskins":
Four New York state lawmakers will introduce a resolution at the state capitol Tuesday calling on professional sports teams to quit using racial slurs like “Redskins” as their team names, the Change The Mascot campaign announced in a press release Monday.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, Greg Dworkin's big story: RomneyCare made people healthier & they're living longer; ACA will do the same. Can Benghazi rebrand? Did that kid really "check" his privilege? Net throttling already happening. Wall St.'s private tax.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Gooserock, OLinda, eeff, antirove, YucatanMan, Pam from Calif, sunbro, Dvalkure, gpoutney, JVolvo, JeffW, LinSea, Susan Grigsby, renzo capetti, annieli, wintergreen8694, enhydra lutris, allergywoman, Eric Nelson, belinda ridgewood, aresea
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- Denny Hastert A new report ...203 comments 41 Recs
- What could go wrong? Climate Talks In Copenhagen Dominated By Climate Destroying Corps This is about the United Nations climate talks, as they are being sponsored by fossil fuel interests. I ...7 comments 11 Recs
- Chris Mooney at the Washington Post has a wonderful piece debunking a recent Forbes post by Heartland's increasingly irrelevant James Taylor. Unsurprisingly, Taylor tries to mislead readers by ...5 comments 15 Recs
- [http://www.wlky.com/politics/cuba-taken-off-terrorist-list/33285658 WLKY:] The U.S. State Department says Cuba has been taken off a list of state sponsors of terrorism. Secretary of State John ...38 comments 64 Recs
- Phyllis Schlafly has always been a racist, right-wing jackass, but at least she's honest about ...56 comments 37 Recs
- You ought to be out raising hell. This is the fighting age. Put on your fighting clothes. -Mother Jones ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` Saturday ...10 comments 13 Recs
- 20 comments 45 Recs
- Denny Hastert, discussing the Mark ...241 comments 103 Recs
- Let's hope nothing does go wrong, but so far more than 500 800 people have RSVP'd to attend a Muhammad cartoon drawing contest in Phoenix on Friday, similar to the contest in Garland, Texas . That ...381 comments 141 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12437)
- Afghanistan (11510)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25129)
- Community (91453)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56296)
- eKos (12468)
- Environment (46358)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15162)
- Jobs (12495)
- Labor (28744)
- Libya (4270)