Click here to add your name:Like a lot of parents, the thought of how Linda and I will pay for our children's college educations is rarely far from my mind.
Higher education is a key part of the ladder up economically. But for too many people, crushing student loan payments make higher education look like a road not to opportunity, but to a lifetime of debt.
That’s why I joined with Senator Elizabeth Warren to introduce the Bank on Students Emergency Loan Refinancing Act, which would allow borrowers to refinance their loans at today’s lower interest rates, potentially saving hundreds of dollars each year.
Join the call for affordable education: sign the petition urging Congress to allow students to refinance their loans.
Making college affordable is central to building an economy where everyone has a fair shot to get ahead, which is why it’s long been one of my top priorities.
I introduced the College Affordability and Innovation Act with Senator Chris Murphy earlier this year to ensure that colleges receiving federal dollars are doing their best to provide their students a quality education at a reasonable cost.
The new bill I introduced with Senator Warren would allow students with existing loans — many of which have interest rates of 7% or more — to refinance at today’s lower rate of 3.86%. That rate, of course, was achieved last year when Republicans joined the effort led by Democrats and President Obama to cut student loan rates.
Sign the petition: urge Congress to pass the Warren-Schatz college affordability bill and help make sure that paying for college doesn’t lead to a lifetime of debt.
Received this e-mail today from Senator Brian Schatz (D. HI):
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Ohio Gov. John Kasich signed ...46 comments 45 Recs
- Yummy! Mmmm, mmmm! Nothing like a nice, cold glass of chemicals to wet your whistle: An analysis of ...31 comments 26 Recs
- Over the last decade, Pennsylvania has emerged as a powerhouse when it comes to drilling and pumping and making money off of natural gas— ...4 comments 9 Recs
- Republican gubernatorial candidate James Comer The May 19 Kentucky GOP gubernatorial primary may be one for the books. Last week, we learned that a blogger named Michael Adams was accusing state ...29 comments 22 Recs
- With currently a staggering 829 votes ... Bernie Sanders is expected to win the nomination 61.52% to 38.48% . ** http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2015/04/30/bernie-sanders-will-challenge-...481 comments 158 Recs
- Republican Sen. John McCain PPP surveys both the GOP primary and general elections in Arizona, and let's just say ...54 comments 38 Recs
- The Labor Department ...4 comments 10 Recs
- Minority Leader Harry Reid is promising to give ol' ...25 comments 36 Recs
- Democratic Rep. Patrick Murphy (at left) On Monday, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee offered its endorsement to Rep. Patrick Murphy in Florida's open-seat ...57 comments 4 Recs
- Indiana Republican Gov. Mike Pence On Thursday, former state House Speaker and 2012 Democratic nominee John Gregg announced that he would seek a rematch with Republican Gov. Mike ...24 comments 34 Recs
- No current results.