- Today's comic by Matt Bors is Pushy promotion:
- These Daily Kos community posts were the most shared on Facebook May 20:
AR-Gov: Asa Hutchinson (R) Turned Away from Polls Because of Voter ID Law, by poopdogcomedy
Scott Walker Caught in Another Big, Fat Lie, by PuddyTat
- News in the slam: The San Quentin News is a jailhouse newspaper founded in 1940 and made into a real enterprise in 2008. It recently received an award from the Society of Professional Journalists for “accomplishing extraordinary journalism under extraordinary circumstances.” No kidding. On the front page of the current issue is a story headlined Study: Thousands Wrongfully Convicted.
[T]he monthly News, which bills itself as “The Pulse of San Quentin,” is the state’s only inmate-produced newspaper and one of the few in the world. The paper’s 15 staff members, all of them male felons, write from the unusual perspective of having served an estimated 297 ½ years collectively for burglary, murder, home invasion, conspiracy and, in one case, a Ponzi scheme.
In a notorious prison best known for its death row, the men are committed to what Juan Haines, the 56-year-old managing editor, who is serving 55 years to life for that 1996 bank robbery, calls “boots on the ground” journalism, accomplished without cellphones or direct Internet access. “It’s about being heard in a place that’s literally shut off from the world,” he said.
- 60 years of political gerrymandering: Yes, it's worse now. Check out the evolution of Maryland's Third District. And look at the increase in gerrymandering elsewhere.
- FBI having trouble hiring hackers who don't smoke pot:
According to the Wall Street Journal, FBI Director James Comey said that the in order to pursue so-called cyber criminals, the government would pretty much have to let government hackers get stoned—because who's going to quit the habit just to work for the FBI?
“I have to hire a great work force to compete with those cyber criminals and some of those kids want to smoke weed on the way to the interview,” Comey said, clearly not pandering to stereotypes.
- Want a cool job? How about panda nanny? The Giant Panda Protection and Research Center in China's Sichuan province is looking for people to watch over panda cubs.
Chinadaily USA reports that the job lasts for a year and pays 200,000 yuan, equivalent to about $32,500, as well as an SUV for transport and meals and accommodations. Current panda nannies, mostly volunteers, come from Europe, the U.S., and Japan--but as part of a program designed to increase global awareness of the needs of panda conservation, the organizers have decided to create a paid position. It's unclear how many slots are available, but the campaign also includes the recruitment of eight panda observers for a three-day stint.
- According to the Center for Disease Control, 30 percent of inner city kids live in what is likened to a war zone and suffer from PTSD. Some observers have coined the condition "hood disease." On Monday's TWiB Prime, #TeamBlackness also discussed paid menstrual leave, Eric Holder’s comments about grey racism, and why millennials are confused about racism.
Subscribe on iTunes | Subscribe On Stitcher
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show: "rural only" nutrition program? Why we militarize cops. Greg Dworkin and Joan McCarter on post-primary news & polling, a new gun rights conspiracy theory, more Sen. rules changes, and how Rs deal when tripped up by voter ID.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
OLinda, eeff, navajo, YucatanMan, gpoutney, jnhobbs, JeffW, commonmass, Puddytat, John Crapper, aresea
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- Dennis Hastert Dennis Hastert ...3 comments 4 Recs
- As thousands die and roads melt in India's sweltering heat wave and reports file in predicting the imminent collapse of Antarctica's 12,000 year-...22 comments 22 Recs
- DOOMSDAY CLOCK Moves Up To 11:57 "current efforts are entirely insufficient" on Catastrophic Warming
- A greener world they say, without dealing with how the "trade agreements" will address the climate change. I added the bold. The Obama Administration claims that the new round of secret trade deals ...6 comments 14 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12434)
- Afghanistan (11509)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25104)
- Community (91431)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56294)
- eKos (12468)
- Environment (46347)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15152)
- Jobs (12495)
- Labor (28741)
- Libya (4270)