- Today's comic by Ruben Bolling is Meet the Super-Fun-Pak Comix cartoonists:
- These Daily Kos community posts were the most shared on Facebook May 21:
- Test your knowledge of Senate also-rans:
- Initial claims for jobless compensation rise sharply: A week after initial claims for unemployment compensation fell below 300,000 for the first time in six years, they climbed back into the territory where they've been for nine months. For the week ending May 17, seasonally adjusted initial claims were 326,000, up 28,000 from the previous week's revised level. For the comparable week of 2013, first-time claims were 344,000. The less volatile four-week running average fell to 322,500. For the week ending May 3, the total number of unemployed Americans receiving compensation was 2,620,476, down 84,543 from the previous week. For the comparable week of 2013, there were 4,738,083 people claiming compensation. But much of that steep drop is a consequence of the failure of Congress to renew the federally funded compensation program that covered a portion of people who have been without jobs for 27 weeks or longer.
- Stamp issued for Harvey Milk's birthday:
A crew of LGBT rights advocates, including photographer Danny Nicoletta (close friend of the late Harvey Milk ), San Francisco Department of Emergency Management Executive Director Anne Kronenberg (who was Milk's campaign manager), Cleve Jones (creator of the AIDS Quilt), and Nicole-Murray Ramirez ("Queen Mother" of the Imperial Court, board member of the Harvey Milk Foundation), are at the White House on Thursday for ceremonies dedicating the Postal Service's new Harvey Milk stamp. May 22 is Milk's birthday.
- Fox News anchor busted in airport bar:
Fox News anchor Gregg Jarrett was arrested at a bar in the Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport for refusing to cooperate with airport police who were called about an intoxicated man at the grill, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.He was released in time to make it to work on $300 bond and is to appear in court June 6.
Metropolitan Airports Commission spokesman Patrick Hogan told the newspaper that Jarrett was taken into custody about 12:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Northern Lights Grill. Police said he seemed intoxicated, acted belligerent and refused to follow orders. Jarrett, 59, was booked into Hennepin County Jail on a preliminary charge of obstructing the legal process by interfering with a peace officer, the Associated Press reported.
- Most Senate Democrats urge change in R*S*ns team name:
A letter led by Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., signed by 49 senators who caucus with the Democrats, urges [NFL commissioner Roger] Goodell to use NBA Commissioner Adam Silver’s decision to ban Los Angeles Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling as a precedent.Good try. But Goodellresponded to say the team's name is used only to present a"strong, positive and respectful image."
“Today, we urge you and the National Football League to send the same clear message as the NBA did: that racism and bigotry have no place in professional sports. It’s time for the NFL to endorse a name change for the Washington, D.C. football team.”
- This is your brain videogaming while stoned:
Pot and video games have long been bound together in hazy, wedded bliss—as well as in compulsion and codependency. Many a World of Warcraft binger has been found in the darkest hours of the night with clouds of sweet, milk-white smoke curling around him, a bong next to the keyboard. [...]
I think it’s fair to say that despite playing stoned after many fatiguing hours of game testing, in the groggy hours after midnight, our scores were still around the same and often better than when sober.
- Which country do your alcohol drinking habits match?
- #TeamBlackness discussed Missouri's (lack of) voter suppression, a man who evaded jail time after repeatedly drugging and raping his wife, and how one 11-year-old disastrously tried to get out of showing his grandmother his bad report card.
Subscribe on iTunes | Subscribe On Stitcher | Direct Download | RSS
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, Constitutional freedoms abound! Greg Dworkin rounds up factional politics & their policy implications... for "both sides." Conservatives pile on against Open Carry TX. The exciting conclusion of Quinn Norton's "Everything is Broken."
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
navajo, side pocket, LakeSuperior, gpoutney, JeffW, LinSea, commonmass, anyname, ratcityreprobate, Eric Nelson, nellgwen, a2nite, JGibson, John Crapper
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- There's an old Monty Python sketch in which a "Face the Press" interviewer grills the Minister for Home Affairs: "You claimed that you would build 88,000 million, billion houses a year in the ...4 comments 10 Recs
- I just finished George Marshall's book Don’t Even Think about It: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Ignore Climate Change . The timing could not be more ironic for I also read this diary by ...29 comments 21 Recs
- Precinct Organizing Support Sought My county's Precinct Organizing Committee is planning a "train the trainers" session in July. I'm working with a couple of folks to track down good hands-on ...31 comments 11 Recs
- Texas' state Senate districts (click to enlarge) In a move that election law expert Rick Hasen characterizes as "surprising," the Supreme Court ...27 comments 12 Recs
- Hey KTK peeps! It's me again, signing on from Austin where it is sunny and...oh wait it looks like it might rain again tonight after all. Was that thunder in the distance AGAIN? Maybe it was just ...105 comments 72 Recs
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues" is a casual community diary (published Monday - Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography and other things of ...53 comments 28 Recs
- Some times the 'best medicine' is the truth. And one thing's for sure about Candidate Bernie Sanders -- We can always count on him to tell us the truth. Especially when it comes to the fading ...78 comments 66 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12429)
- Afghanistan (11509)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25084)
- Community (91365)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56277)
- eKos (12468)
- Environment (46314)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15119)
- Jobs (12491)
- Labor (28721)
- Libya (4270)