- Today's comic by Matt Bors is Your worst fear:
- Koch brothers planning to have tar sands project under way by 2016. We learned recently that the Charles and David Koch are, with 1.1. million to 1.2 million acres, one of the largest leaseholders of Canadian tar sands land. Now, Koch Oil Sands Operating LLC, a subsidiary of the behemoth Koch Industries,
“We intend to develop a bitumen recovery project identified as the Dunkirk In Situ Project and have submitted the proposed Terms of Reference for an Environmental Impact Assessment to Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development,” Paul Baltzer, spokesman for the Wichita, Kan.-based company, said in an e-mail.
According to the terms of reference document, the steam-driven project would produce 60,000 barrels a day of bitumen, to be developed in two 30,000-barrel-a-day phases.
- Virginia senator sends letter of praise to Bashar al-Assad:
A letter from Virginia state Sen. Richard Black praising Syrian President Bashar al-Assad was posted to the Syrian president's Facebook page Sunday. Black (R-Loudoun County) confirmed sending the letter in a phone call with The Post's Laura Vozzella.
"I write to thank the Syrian Arab Army for its heroic rescue of Christians in the Qalamoun Mountain Range," the letter begins. Black praises the Syrian army's efforts against the forces that have been challenging Assad's power for several years, which the letter claims are "dominated by our arch-enemy Al Qaeda." By protecting Christians in the country, Assad has "followed the practice of [his] father by treating with respect all Christians and the small community of Jews in Damascus."
- Glacier's melt isn't so glacial:
Canada’s Athabasca glacier is melting at an “astonishing” rate, according to Parks Canada, and could disappear within a generation.
The glacier, which is the largest of the eight glaciers that form the Columbia Icefield in Alberta, Canada, loses 16 feet of ice each year, Parks Canada Resource Conservation Manager John Wilmshurst told the Canadian Press.
- Apparently Ted Nugent was busy:
Phil Robertson, the controversial star of “Duck Dynasty,” will address the Republican Leadership Conference on Thursday in New Orleans, the conference announced on its website Tuesday.
The reality star made headlines last year when he called homosexual behavior sinful and compared it to bestiality in GQ magazine, leading A&E to suspend him from the family series. He returned to the show after releasing a statement through the cable network saying he would “never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different.”
- Mayor de Blasio says ferrets okay: The weasel cousins were banned in New York City in 1999 on the grounds they pose a greater health risk to people than other animals kept as pets.
The turnaround on ferrets, confirmed by city officials on Tuesday, would bolster the image of a mammal-friendly mayor who has pledged to turn New York into a kinder place for its four-legged residents, notably the horses that work in Central Park. [...]
The move was prompted by a ferret enthusiast in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, Ariel Jasper, who petitioned the city to reconsider the ban. Ms. Jasper, a master’s student at Brooklyn College, said she was emboldened by Mr. de Blasio’s outspoken opposition to the use of horse-drawn carriages in Central Park.
- How well do condoms really work to prevent spread of HIV?. That's a tricky question whose answer depends on how consistently they are used correctly. And they often aren't, even by people educated in how to use them. Used correctly and consistently, it appears they might work to prevent HIV's spread 80 to 90 percent of the time.
- #TeamBlackness delved into some of the media's worst reactions to the shootings in Santa Barbara, and broke down how broken our society really is.
Subscribe on iTunes | Subscribe On Stitcher | Direct Download | RSS
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, Greg Dworkin and Joan McCarter on Kinsley, Greenwald. Handicapping the handicappers. VA & Medicaid. Diminished Iran threat. Boggs plays dumb. McConnell health care word salad. Bonkersghazi. Latest NYCer overspending craze.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Gooserock, eeff, navajo, gpoutney, JVolvo, JeffW, LinSea, FogCityJohn, annieli, wintergreen8694, Eric Nelson, The Marti, julesrules39
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- I often struggle to write about Memorial Day. It is about more ...73 comments 66 Recs
- On Thursday, May 21st, 2015, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, in response to window breaking during ...27 comments 48 Recs
- I am going to give in to Denise Oliver Velez's request to turn a comment into a diary. The aversion to length (TL;DR) is a peculiar modern affliction, but I will make it easier for people who ...15 comments 48 Recs
- 4 comments 10 Recs
- 6 comments 14 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12390)
- Afghanistan (11508)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25036)
- Community (91250)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56237)
- eKos (12467)
- Environment (46220)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15075)
- Jobs (12469)
- Labor (28655)
- Libya (4270)