- Today's comic by Ruben Bolling is God-Man versus multiverses:
- Cannabis tour guide warned Maureen Dowd about edibles:
New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd had a terrible trip after she ate too much of a pot-infused candy bar—but she was warned about the unpredictable potency of edibles, according to the man who gave her a tour of Colorado's marijuana industry.
In a column published Tuesday, Dowd described the paranoid, "hallucinatory state" she wound up in for eight hours after eating the candy. The next day, a medical expert at an edibles plant told her that candy bars like the one she'd eaten were supposed to be divvied up into 16 pieces for novices.
- Google swamped because so many people do not like what it has said about them:
Google Inc. said Tuesday that it had received 41,000 requests from people hoping to delete individual results that turn up for their name in the first four days after it posted a Web page to take the requests late last week. The page was part of Google's response to a controversial [European] court decision that enshrined the new "right to be forgotten" in mid-May.
The figure suggests that while a wave of people looking to exercise their new right has crested since Friday, the flood is continuing. The number of requests works out to more than 10,000 a day through the end of day Monday, or roughly 7 a minute, compared with 20 requests a minute in the initial hours after Google posted the web form.
Google may have to hire new staffers or redirect internal resources to handle the wave of requests, people familiar with the matter said.
- California voter turnout worst ever:
The 2014 California Primary Election will go down as the worst ever in terms of voter turnout.The best California turnout for a mid-term primary was 43 percent in 1998.
NBC Bay Area talked with the Secretary of State’s office who said that preliminary numbers showed a little over 18 percent of registered voters actually participated in Tuesday's primary.
- U.S. Supreme Court opens door for marriage equality in Oregon:
The U.S. Supreme Court decided Wednesday, June 4, to reject an appeal of the mid-May federal court ruling that opened the door to same-sex marriage in Oregon.
The court let stand U.S. District Judge Michael McShane’s May 19 ruling that it was unconstitutional for the state to continue blocking same-sex couples from being married. The ruling set off several hours of celebrations and weddings across Oregon.
The National Organization for Marriage filed a May 27 request with Justice Anthony Kennedy asking that the full court block McShane’s ruling and stop same-sex marriages until the group’s appeal could be heard.
- HRC says no "lingering effects" from concussion:
When asked in an interview featured in People Magazine whether she has any “lingering effects” from the head injury [that she suffered in 2012, Hillary Clinton] said: “No. I did have a concussion and some effects in the aftermath of it, mostly dizziness, double vision. Those all dissipated.”
“At the inauguration for President [Barack] Obama’s second term, I was standing [with] Paul Ryan,” she told People’s Sandra Sobieraj Westfall. “I said, ‘Congressman, I read that you’re a great athlete. Have you ever had a concussion?’ ‘Oh, yeah. Three at least.’ I said, ‘Were they serious?’ He said, ‘One was really serious. I’m so grateful to my mother, because she said, ‘You’re grounded. You’re going to rest until it goes away.’ And of course it did.’”
- GM chief says fatal recall delay caused by incompetence and neglect:
General Motors’ fatal delay in recalling cars with faulty ignition switches was caused by a “pattern of incompetence and neglect”, chief executive Mary Barra said Thursday.
Announcing the findings of an internal report, Barra said she had fired 15 people and disciplined another five for the decade-long delay that has been linked to at least 13 fatal crashes and eventually led to the recall of 2.6m Chevrolet Cobalts, Saturn Ions and other models equipped with faulty ignition switches.
- LAPD gets aerial drones that Seattle PD dropped because of citizen outcry:
Last week, the Los Angeles police department announced a new acquisition: two Draganflyer X6 drones, small hexacopters about three feet wide and capable of being outfitted with a range of sophisticated cameras. This makes the LAPD the largest municipal police department in the country known to possess unmanned aerial vehicles for surveillance or tactical uses. [...]
As the press release emphasizes, these drones didn’t cost Los Angeles a cent. Rather, they were a hurried hand-me-down from the Seattle Police Department, which grounded the drones before they could be used in police work due to an angry public reaction over safety and privacy concerns.
- Former Chicago Cubs manager Don Zimmer dead at 83.
- #TeamBlackness discussed Janelle Ambrosia, who screamed n----r at a man because he startled her children when he started his car and then explained on radio that she's not racist and the word isn't so bad because it only means "ignorant," something she no doubt calls her white friends when they get out of line. Also discussed is the plethora of street harassment against women, Pharrell's misappropriation of American-Indian culture, and why people need to stop talking about interracial dating.
Subscribe on iTunes | Subscribe On Stitcher | Direct Download | RSS
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, Greg Dworkin rounded up Bergdahl, TNC's nod to Black Kos, and Europe's "negative interest rate" experiment. Politicians scrub pro-Bergdahl messages. Moncton shootings. Spanish abdication. Technology & the search warrant explosion.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
scribeboy, glitterscale, navajo, JeffW, LinSea, Its the Supreme Court Stupid, annieli, Mr MadAsHell, FarWestGirl, IllanoyGal, wintergreen8694, RMForbes, enhydra lutris, Eric Nelson, 420 forever, George3, Expat Paulsen, Penny GC
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- The big news: Nigerian army [http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/28/us-nigeria-violence-rescue-idUSKBN0NJ2FK20150428?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=twitter rescued 293 women and girls] ...22 comments 26 Recs
- Oscar Grant Plaza filled Saturday afternoon with a couple hundred people come to the first #BlackSpring event in Oakland. The organizers came up with a great idea, an its already spread across the ...8 comments 48 Recs
- Not much to say, other than this: I gave to Bernie Sanders' campaign yesterday and it's been a long time since I've given money to a candidate and had a real sense that my donation - and the ...8 comments 18 Recs
- Yesterday, Pope Francis led a celebration for the soon-to-be canonized Junípero Serra by praising the 18th century Spanish Franciscan friar who founded the first nine of 21 Spanish missions in ...34 comments 18 Recs
- I keep a close watch on this heart of mine I keep my eyes wide open all the time I keep the ends out for the tie that binds Because you're mine, I walk the line I Walk the Line , by Johnny Cash ...21 comments 38 Recs
- Solid science education is the best inoculation against ignorance.25 comments 19 Recs
- Out of the clear blue sky Greg Abbott, the recently elected Governor of the once great state of Texas, decided to outdo his usually over-the-top tea party rhetoric the other day. I mean, is this ...11 comments 16 Recs
- A daily series, Connect! Unite! Act! seeks to create face-to-face networks in each congressional district. Groups ...88 comments 36 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12306)
- Afghanistan (11497)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (24702)
- Community (90306)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2376)
- Economy (55812)
- eKos (12436)
- Environment (45663)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1195)
- International (14705)
- Jobs (12408)
- Labor (28260)
- Libya (4263)