- Today's comic by Matt Bors is Mission Accomplisher-er:
- March-May was hottest on record: The Japan Meteorological Association said the March-May period was the hottest in 120 years of record-keeping, and also that May was the hottest on record. And this before warming from El Niño hits.
- NASA is researching supersonice passenger jets that don't go boom (as much).
- Conservatives dish up Obama conspiracy to destroy Phil Mickelson:
At the end of May it was reported that the FBI and SEC were investigating whether Mickelson and bigwig sports gambler and golf course owner Billy Walters had engaged in insider trading using secret knowledge obtained from billionaire investor Carl Icahn. The initial leaks suggested that Icahn may have given advance warning to Walters in 2011 that he was planning a takeover of Clorox, which Walters relayed to Mickelson so he could buy stock in the company right before its value soared.Right-wing blogs have transformed this into a plot by the administration against Mickelson because he spoke against high taxes for millionaires. Through a spokesperson, Mickelson told Mother Jones magazine that he had never implied a political motivation or any other kind for the investigation.
- Study: Early musical training makes for better brain "sharpness":
A controlled study using functional MRI brain imaging reveals a possible biological link between early musical training and improved executive functioning in both children and adults, report researchers at Boston Children's Hospital. [...]
Executive functions are the high-level cognitive processes that enable people to quickly process and retain information, regulate their behaviors, make good choices, solve problems, plan and adjust to changing mental demands.
"Since executive functioning is a strong predictor of academic achievement, even more than IQ, we think our findings have strong educational implications," says study senior investigator Nadine Gaab, PhD, of the Laboratories of Cognitive Neuroscience at Boston Children's. "While many schools are cutting music programs and spending more and more time on test preparation, our findings suggest that musical training may actually help to set up children for a better academic future.
- Americans are shockingly—and dangerously—ignorant politically.
- After a seven-year run, National Public Radio has decided to cancel Tell Me More, which was hosted by former ABC News anchor Michel Martin and discussed issues of race, identity, faith, gender, and family and attracted a passionate, diverse fanbase. It all comes down to the whole if a tree falls in the forest, or say, a fantastic show on race and current events like #ABlackShow on Free Speech TV comes out, and no one hears it/financially supports it, does it really make a sound/impact?
Subscribe on iTunes | Subscribe On Stitcher | Direct Download | RSS
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show: Greg Dworkin's rounds up the kitchen sink spin on Benghazi. The Affordable Care Act has acted to make care affordable. R*dsk*ns news breaks! Joan McCarter chats about Idaho agri-business, Gop in disarray, and Raul Labrador's flops.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Gooserock, Powered Grace, churchylafemme, Diana in NoVa, chimene, Gorette, raincrow, JeffW, fayea, annieli, whaddaya, bakeneko, too many people, Eric Nelson, Mr Robert, belinda ridgewood, George3, aresea
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- Protests against Shell's plan for Arctic drilling have received global attention. From the actions of kayaktivists around Seattle to Shell's annual stockholder meeting, Shell has been receiving a ...21 comments 47 Recs
- The same region devastated by the Santa Barbara Oil Spill of 1969 is now the scene of a massive clean up of crude oil by the state and federal governments and volunteers. The international and ...9 comments 22 Recs
- Welcome to the 2015 Daily Kos Backyard Science Yardbird Race! This is the fifth tally for 2015, and is the official place to post your sightings, ask for help, and brag some if you wish. Here's ...85 comments 21 Recs
- Pardon me while I take one minute from what I'm doing to stop and ask the same question I've asked ever since I returned from Viet Nam. ...16 comments 31 Recs
- Dear Little Brother If you'd lived through Viet Nam, who would you be now? For one thing, you'd 69 years old, still six years younger than me. I still giggle when I remember how , as a child, you ...15 comments 86 Recs
- “America’s the richest country on Earth because we’ve been able to put capital together and we’ve been able to make our poor somewhat the envy of the world....If you go to India or you go ...6 comments 7 Recs
- "Where are we headed?" she said. "To a bar" I said. "a land without feelings or genuine interest In order To reduce the awareness of Our mortality thru sin, vice, and false language in a failed ...15 comments 15 Recs
- It's that time again..... my sixth annual meet-up by the lake ;-)4 comments 8 Recs
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues" is a casual community diary (published Monday - Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography and other things of ...31 comments 21 Recs
- While out driving, earlier, I saw a young woman running along the road, on the sidewalk. A little further along, it was an elderly gentleman, also running. From their ‘gear,’ it was clear that ...51 comments 43 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12391)
- Afghanistan (11508)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25047)
- Community (91291)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56250)
- eKos (12467)
- Environment (46252)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15089)
- Jobs (12477)
- Labor (28680)
- Libya (4270)