- Today's comic by Matt Bors is Mission Accomplisher-er:
- March-May was hottest on record: The Japan Meteorological Association said the March-May period was the hottest in 120 years of record-keeping, and also that May was the hottest on record. And this before warming from El Niño hits.
- NASA is researching supersonice passenger jets that don't go boom (as much).
- Conservatives dish up Obama conspiracy to destroy Phil Mickelson:
At the end of May it was reported that the FBI and SEC were investigating whether Mickelson and bigwig sports gambler and golf course owner Billy Walters had engaged in insider trading using secret knowledge obtained from billionaire investor Carl Icahn. The initial leaks suggested that Icahn may have given advance warning to Walters in 2011 that he was planning a takeover of Clorox, which Walters relayed to Mickelson so he could buy stock in the company right before its value soared.Right-wing blogs have transformed this into a plot by the administration against Mickelson because he spoke against high taxes for millionaires. Through a spokesperson, Mickelson told Mother Jones magazine that he had never implied a political motivation or any other kind for the investigation.
- Study: Early musical training makes for better brain "sharpness":
A controlled study using functional MRI brain imaging reveals a possible biological link between early musical training and improved executive functioning in both children and adults, report researchers at Boston Children's Hospital. [...]
Executive functions are the high-level cognitive processes that enable people to quickly process and retain information, regulate their behaviors, make good choices, solve problems, plan and adjust to changing mental demands.
"Since executive functioning is a strong predictor of academic achievement, even more than IQ, we think our findings have strong educational implications," says study senior investigator Nadine Gaab, PhD, of the Laboratories of Cognitive Neuroscience at Boston Children's. "While many schools are cutting music programs and spending more and more time on test preparation, our findings suggest that musical training may actually help to set up children for a better academic future.
- Americans are shockingly—and dangerously—ignorant politically.
- After a seven-year run, National Public Radio has decided to cancel Tell Me More, which was hosted by former ABC News anchor Michel Martin and discussed issues of race, identity, faith, gender, and family and attracted a passionate, diverse fanbase. It all comes down to the whole if a tree falls in the forest, or say, a fantastic show on race and current events like #ABlackShow on Free Speech TV comes out, and no one hears it/financially supports it, does it really make a sound/impact?
Subscribe on iTunes | Subscribe On Stitcher | Direct Download | RSS
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show: Greg Dworkin's rounds up the kitchen sink spin on Benghazi. The Affordable Care Act has acted to make care affordable. R*dsk*ns news breaks! Joan McCarter chats about Idaho agri-business, Gop in disarray, and Raul Labrador's flops.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Gooserock, Powered Grace, churchylafemme, Diana in NoVa, chimene, Gorette, raincrow, JeffW, fayea, annieli, whaddaya, bakeneko, too many people, Eric Nelson, Mr Robert, belinda ridgewood, George3, aresea
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- A daily series, Connect! Unite! Act! seeks to create face-to-face networks in each congressional district. Groups ...136 comments 36 Recs
- US counties with a net job loss since the nationwide recovery began five years ago. The data was provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It includes the total number of workers in ...26 comments 21 Recs
- happy birthday to me as well. May 26 2002 May 26 ...21 comments 27 Recs
- "What's for dinner?" is a regular refrain around Casa Brillig. For the most part, my status as the at-home parent means I am the Dinner Decider. We've got a short set of meals I make often, for ...62 comments 51 Recs
- Last Friday was the memorial service for Kyler Prescott. Kyler's mother spoke to the press before the service. I feel so broken inside. I feel like my soul has been ripped from my body. -- ...24 comments 130 Recs
- Last week, I noted that the number of ACA exchange-based QHP selections has officially passed the 12 million mark nationally. I also mentioned that: Of course, when you throw in the missing tax ...8 comments 20 Recs
- This is a message to activists trying to fight the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). Stop calling the TPP a "trade" agreement. TPP is a corporate/investor rights agreement, not a "trade" agreement. "...13 comments 46 Recs
- It's been a while and we need to regroup, discuss the state of affairs, come up with new ideas and have fun. On the fun side, we are going to try a potluck A potluck is a gathering of people where ...8 comments 15 Recs
- The NYC Kossacks welcomed both peregrine kate and asterkitty to Spitzer's Corner on a gorgeous Spring day. As usual, it was a great group of Kossacks with fabulous food and terrific conversation.99 comments 48 Recs
- Come oh come ye tea-thirsty restless ones -- the kettle boils, bubbles and sings, musically. ~ Rabindranath ...77 comments 42 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12414)
- Afghanistan (11509)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25067)
- Community (91344)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56264)
- eKos (12468)
- Environment (46293)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15118)
- Jobs (12483)
- Labor (28710)
- Libya (4270)