- Today's comic by Mark Fiore is Cartoon: Create-Your-Own Caliphate:
- No mission creep in Iraq on Obama's watch. He knows a war in Iraq is a 'dumb war,' by Ian Reifowitz
- Stop calling the Iraq war a mistake. It lets the liars who initiated that war off the hook, by Meteor Blades
- The Daily Kos Elections gubernatorial power rankings: June edition, by Steve Singiser
- Murdoch's minions: Jason and Naomi Schaefer-Riley, by Denise Oliver Velez
- GOP Sen. Ron Johnson: It costs too much to fund the VA, by Mark E Andersen
- We have a crappy healthcare system, by Joan McCarter
- New Daily Kos Elections interactive legislative maps for Illinois and Oklahoma, by Stephen Wolf
- Peak wingnut is a myth, by Dante Atkins
- Chris Matthews necessarily schooled by Elizabeth Warren on politics and the Democratic message, by Egberto Willies
- Malia and Sasha's parents want them to taste minimum-wage work:
President Barack Obama and wife Michelle both worked minimum-wage jobs before they got law degrees: a character-building experience they said they also want their teenage daughters to share.
The president scooped ice cream at Baskin-Robbins, waited tables at an assisted-living facility for seniors and also worked as a painter. The first lady worked at a book binding shop.
"I think every kid needs to get a taste of what it's like to do that real hard work," Michelle Obama said in an interview with Parade magazine, slated to run on Sunday.
- Brian Schweitzer apologizes for 'stupid and insensitive remarks'. And it wasn't a nopology, but the real thing, without qualifiers:
Former Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer on Thursday apologized for comments he made during an interview with National Journal, presumably ones about House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) and Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA).
"I recently made a number of stupid and insensitive remarks to a reporter from the National Journal. I am deeply sorry and sincerely apologize for my carelessness and disregard," Schweitzer wrote in a Facebook post.
- Joe Walsh kicked off his own radio show for racist slurs:
Walsh, who has hosted "The Joe Walsh Show" on a conservative Chicago radio station since early 2013, took to Twitter to complain about being cut off by the station's management. Walsh, by his own account, used several epithets during a discussion on the Redskins' controversial name, including the n-word. [...]
The ex-congressman also has a history of racially-charged remarks. In 2012, he claimed that Democrats want Hispanic Americans to "be dependent on government, just like they got African Americans dependent on government." Earlier that same year, he claimed President Barack Obama was only elected because of his race.
- Before there was fictional Pvt. Ryan, there was real-life Pvt. Wilfred Smith. Five of the young British soldier's brothers were killed in World War I before Queen Mary intervened and got him sent home to northern England.
- Five wrongly convicted men in Central Park jogger case settle for $40 million. That works out to about $1 million for each year the five African American and Hispanic men spent in prison after they were found guilty of gang-raping and a jogger in 1989. One served 13 years, the four others seven years apiece. The five exonerated men were 14 to 16 at the time of the crime.
The media sensationalized the crime, committed it was said as part of alleged "wolf pack" and "wilding" behavior. It later transpired that the actual rapist was someone else, a man convicted of rape and murder who acted alone in the attack on the 28-year-old jogger. The settlement must still be approved by the city comptroller and a federal judge. The Bloomberg administration had fought any settlement on the grounds that the city had acted in good faith in the case. Mayor Bill de Blasio had said in his campaign the city had a “moral obligation to right this injustice.”
- The four most important races for whip in congressional history. In order of importance: Nancy Pelosi vs. Steny Hoyer for House Democratic whip (2001); Trent Lott vs. Alan Simpson for Senate GOP whip (1994); Ted Kennedy vs. Robert Byrd for Senate Democratic whip (1971); Newt Gingrich vs. Ed Madigan for House GOP whip (1989)
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, it's a Friday grab-bag. Hot mug shots. Hannity re-berates Muslim student. A collection of Iraq wrongness. "Reining in" the NSA. Closing in on Christie & Walker. R*dsk*ns vs. Freedom! SW VA hates Obamacare because "death panels."
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Angie in WA State, navajo, Diana in NoVa, YucatanMan, Ekaterin, Mother Mags, gpoutney, JVolvo, Mary Mike, Words In Action, renzo capetti, ericlewis0, Oh Mary Oh, annieli, Eric Nelson, belinda ridgewood, Aunt Pat, LtPowers
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- There's an old Monty Python sketch in which a "Face the Press" interviewer grills the Minister for Home Affairs: "You claimed that you would build 88,000 million, billion houses a year in the ...4 comments 10 Recs
- I just finished George Marshall's book Don’t Even Think about It: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Ignore Climate Change . The timing could not be more ironic for I also read this diary by ...29 comments 21 Recs
- Precinct Organizing Support Sought My county's Precinct Organizing Committee is planning a "train the trainers" session in July. I'm working with a couple of folks to track down good hands-on ...31 comments 11 Recs
- Texas' state Senate districts (click to enlarge) In a move that election law expert Rick Hasen characterizes as "surprising," the Supreme Court ...27 comments 13 Recs
- Hey KTK peeps! It's me again, signing on from Austin where it is sunny and...oh wait it looks like it might rain again tonight after all. Was that thunder in the distance AGAIN? Maybe it was just ...105 comments 72 Recs
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues" is a casual community diary (published Monday - Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography and other things of ...53 comments 28 Recs
- Some times the 'best medicine' is the truth. And one thing's for sure about Candidate Bernie Sanders -- We can always count on him to tell us the truth. Especially when it comes to the fading ...78 comments 67 Recs
- If you were to read some of the audience’s comments in [http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/05/26/1387749/-Gaius-Publius-Hillary-TPP-the-World-of-Money-and-the-Center-for-American-Progress THIS ...11 comments 30 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12431)
- Afghanistan (11509)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25084)
- Community (91367)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56277)
- eKos (12468)
- Environment (46314)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15119)
- Jobs (12491)
- Labor (28721)
- Libya (4270)