- Today's comic by Tom Tomorrowis In a just world:
- What you missed on Sunday Kos ...
No mission creep in Iraq on Obama's watch. He knows a war in Iraq is a 'dumb war,' by Ian Reifowitz
The Daily Kos Elections gubernatorial power rankings: June edition, by Steve Singiser
Murdoch's minions: Jason and Naomi Schaefer-Riley, by Denise Oliver Velez
GOP Sen. Ron Johnson: It costs too much to fund the VA, by Mark E Andersen
We have a crappy healthcare system, by Joan McCarter
Peak wingnut is a myth, by Dante Atkins
- Former POW Bowe Bergdahl moved to outpatient care:
Bergdahl, 28, had been receiving inpatient treatment at Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston. He is now receiving outpatient care on the base in San Antonio, according to the statement. The Army said his "reintegration process" is proceeding with exposure to more people and a gradual increase in social interaction.
- Earnings for 820 occupations in one chart.
- This day in labor history, June 23, 1855:
On June 23, 1855, a 19 year old slave woman named Celia murdered her master rather than allow him to rape her. She then attempted to burn his body, nearly succeeding in erasing all traces of the crime. She was arrested, convicted, and executed. This story gets at both the inhumanity of slavery and the sexual labor forced upon millions of African and African-American women during two centuries of chattel slavery in the United States.
Robert Newsom, a prosperous farmer in Callaway County, Missouri, purchased Celia in 1850. She was 14. In the 1850 census, Newsom owned 800 acres and five male slaves. Celia was the first female slave he purchased and it seems that he did so in order to use her for sex, as well as to serve as the house cook. His wife had died in 1849 and he decided on a sex slave rather than a new wife. He first raped Celia before they returned to his plantation. She eventually had two children by him.
- Egypt give three Al Jazeera journalists long prison terms:
A judge on Monday convicted three journalists of conspiring with the Muslim Brotherhood to broadcast false reports of civil strife in Egypt.
Two of the journalists were sentenced to seven years in prison, and the third was given 10 years, the three additional years apparently for his possession of a single spent bullet. The case has drawn condemnation from international rights groups and Western governments because there was no publicly available evidence that the journalists had either supported the Brotherhood or broadcast anything inaccurate.
- Researcher: Two-parent families can be lethal:
Since returning from my fieldwork, I have been struck by the pervasive narrative across the ideological spectrum regarding the value of two-parent families. To be sure, children who enjoy the support of two adults fare better on average than those who do not, and parents with loving partners often benefit from greater emotional and economic security. However, I have seen the ways in which prioritizing two-parent families tethers victims of violence to their assailants, sacrifices safety in the name of parental rights and helps batterers maintain control. Sweeping rhetoric about the value of marriage and father involvement is not just incomplete. For victims of domestic violence, it’s dangerous.
- Student freed from 32-ton German vagina.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, Greg Dworkin rounds up McAuliffe's fight to expand Medicaid, Walker & Christie's fight investigators. Rs down to last reason to oppose ACA. Gun nuts love/hate the Constitution. Lethal combo: science denialism + Hobby Lobby "religious freedom."
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- 4 comments 10 Recs
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues" is a casual community diary (published Monday - Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography and other things of ...76 comments 23 Recs
- [Mikey Weinstein]: This guest Op-Ed from my dear friend, Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF) Advisory Board member, and former Secretary of State Colin Powell’s Chief of Staff Lawrence ...6 comments 38 Recs
- Healthcare reform is not done. Not by a long shot. While Obamacare has gone a very long way ...13 comments 9 Recs
- Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-TX) Sen.9 comments 11 Recs
- Progressive ideas have been getting a metric fck ton of increased media coverage due in a large part to the efforts of PCCC, DFA, and Dkos to get the word out on the courageous work of Senator ...12 comments 20 Recs
- In ancient times, Romans crossed out coins imprinted with the face of their tyrannical emperor, Caligula. In the early 20th century, British ...5 comments 6 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12390)
- Afghanistan (11508)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25006)
- Community (91160)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56218)
- eKos (12466)
- Environment (46186)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15063)
- Jobs (12469)
- Labor (28634)
- Libya (4270)