While women have always been more likely to earn poverty-level wages than men (wages less than what a full-time, year-round worker needs to sustain a family of four at the official poverty threshold), women have seen some improvement over the last three-and-a-half decades, as their rates of poverty-level wages have declined, especially among those 35 to 44 years old.We must overcome this tragedy by increasing the minimum wage, reducing student loans and making college more affordable for all.
On the other hand, men between 25 and 44 have seen precipitous increases in the share working at such low wages, with the share more than doubling between 1979 and 2013. This trend has been particularly stark among the younger age group. The figure above shows the share of male and female workers between 25 and 34 and between 35 and 44 years old who earn poverty-level wages. In 2013, that hourly wage was $11.49. Over one-fourth of men 25-34 years old earned poverty-level wages in 2013.
The bottom line is there are a great many adults, and an increasing share of men, stuck in very low-paying jobs, and they are the same people who are responsible for raising the next generation.
Devastating news for a generation and for the future of the US from The Economic Policy Institute:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
HeyMikey, karmsy, MKinTN, amyzex, Youffraita, JamieG from Md, greengemini, Susan Grigsby, Polly Syllabic, slowbutsure, tardis10, peregrine kate, Calvino Partigiani, SoCalSal, oldcrow, FloridaSNMOM, wxorknot, Glen The Plumber, nomandates, JayRaye, Portia Elm, LiberalLoner, Shaylors Provence
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by VL Baker
- More than 3,700 people squeezed into a Minneapolis gym to hear presidential candidate Senator Bernie Sanders lay out his campaign agenda. More people were left standing outside. Upon arrival, ...230 comments 314 Recs
- I spent over 30 years of my life working in agricultural biology. Mostly this was in biological control of insect pests and weeds. At the same time I followed my interests in the evolution, life ...95 comments 76 Recs
- The Trans-Pacific Partnership deal is more about Corporate Empowerment, than it is about "straightening Trade" -- between Nations. Or so all these very smart economics people, are saying ... Stop ...149 comments 196 Recs
- Her name was Brandi Nicole Stanley. Please remember her. She lost her battle with cancer the evening of Memorial Day, last Monday. I was with her, holding her hand, as I had promised. Brandi,192 comments 516 Recs
- FOREWORD BY OTTERAY SCRIBE (her father): Her full name is Brandi Nicole Stanley. I am her father. Remember her, please. She never wrote a diary after registering, because she never thought ...123 comments 560 Recs
- I just finished George Marshall's book Don’t Even Think about It: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Ignore Climate Change . The timing could not be more ironic for I also read this diary by ...60 comments 30 Recs
- This is a political website, so most readers will know about Austerity, in the sense of the current European malaise of public finances caused by socialization of private losses incurred in the ...55 comments 28 Recs
- All People ...6 comments 14 Recs
- Red-Earred Slider. See Lenny Flank's photo diary . Many environmentally related posts appearing at Daily Kos each week don't attract the attention ...20 comments 79 Recs
VL Baker's Tags
- Beatles (920)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Industrial Meat Production (7)
- Meat (549)
- Meat Industry (3)
- Meat inspection (4)
- Meat Production (160)
- Meat Safety (5)
- Meatless (52)
- Meatless Advocate (5)
- Meatless Advocates Meet-up (3)
- Meatless Monday (626)
- Meatless Mondays (16)
- Meatpacking (18)
- Recommended (199600)
- The Yes We Can Pragmatists (8)
VL Baker's Blogroll
- No current results.