- Today's comic by Jen Sorensen is Weed war:
- These Daily Kos community posts were the most shared on Facebook July 7:
16 yo kid has just changed the game, by bookcrazzzy
Priest: World Cup Is A Homosexual Abomination Because Players Wear Gay Shoes, by librarisingnsf
- Republicans give nod to Cleveland for 2016 GOP Convention:
Enid Mickelsen, the chairwoman of the RNC's site selection committee, said in a written statement: "Cleveland is a phenomenal city, and I can't think of a better place to showcase our party and our nominee in 2016. This committee was tasked with difficult decisions and was presented with several strong options to host our convention. I'm confident Cleveland is the right pick for our next national convention. Cleveland has demonstrated they have the commitment, energy, and terrific facilities to help us deliver a history-making Republican convention."
- Shark attacks rise, but you're 33 times more likely to be killed by a dog:
Experts have suggested a couple of reasons for the increase. First, more and more people are hitting the beaches each summer. But sharks themselves are also becoming more numerous, thanks to years of conservation efforts. One NOAA survey in 2014 found that white shark populations were rebounding in the North Atlantic. A separate 2011 study found that white sharks were becoming more numerous around central California.
A third key reason for the uptick is much more mundane—in places like Florida, better reporting systems since the 1990s mean that more and more minor attacks now get recorded, when they previously would've gone unnoticed.
- 'Dark snow' is accelerating glacier melting:
The phenomenon of "dark snow" is being recorded from the Himalayas to the Arctic as increasing amounts of dust from bare soil, soot from fires and ultra-fine particles of "black carbon" from industry and diesel engines are being whipped up and deposited sometimes thousands of miles away. The result, say scientists, is a significant dimming of the brightness of the world's snow and icefields, leading to a longer melt season, which in turn creates feedback where more solar heat is absorbed and the melting accelerates.
- Graphs on how birth year influences political views if you're white:
A new model of presidential voting suggests President Obama’s approval rating — currently in the low 40s — will inform not only the 2016 election, but also the election in 2076. The model, by researchers at Catalist, the Democratic data firm, and Columbia University, uses hundreds of thousands of survey responses and new statistical software to estimate how people’s preferences change at different stages of their lives.
The model assumes generations of voters choose their team, Democrats or Republicans, based on their cumulative life experience — a “running tally” of events. By using Gallup’s presidential approval rating as a proxy for those events, Yair Ghitza, chief scientist at Catalist, and Andrew Gelman, a political scientist and statistician at Columbia University, were able to estimate when political preferences are formed.
- Job openings rose in May to highest levels in seven years. The Bureau of Labor Statistics issued its Job Openings and Turnover report Tuesday. It showed that there were 4.64 million positions waiting to be filled in May. At the same time, the number of jobless workers seeking employment fell to the lowest level in six years. Thus, there are now about 2.1 people for each open position. When the recession started in December 2007, there were about 1.8 people for each opening. At its worst, there were 6.9 unemployed people for every job opening in the summer of 2009.
- Buying marijuana became legal in Washington Tuesday, but for now there are only 24 places where you can make the transaction. And if you rent or are a tourist, you may have a hard time finding a place to smoke. No edibles are being sold.
- 'Human props' pay to live like phantoms in for-sale luxury homes:
The home must remain meticulously cleaned and preserved: the temperature precisely pleasant, the mirrors crystalline clear. If a prospective buyer wants to see the home, they must quickly disappear. And when the home sells, they must be gone for good, off to the next perfect place.
That they do everything an owner would do—sleeping, making memories, learning the home's quirks and secrets—imbues an otherwise-empty home with an unmistakable energy, say executives with Showhomes Tampa, the home-staging firm that moves them in. It also helps the homes sell faster, and for more money.
- Here's that terrifying super-Typhoon from the International Space Station: Japan is bracing for Neoguri's passage. The typhoon is already pounding Okinawa, and one person died when his fishing boat was swamped. Expectations are that the typhoon's wind speeds will diminish as the storm touches Kyushu and the other Japanese main islands further north. But very heavy rains are expected.
- Just when you thought the Hobby Lobby ruling was problematic for those seeking contraception under one's employment, things just got a whole lot worse. With the Supreme Court's new emergency order, now even a signature goes against the religious right. The way our country is going, they're probably soon going to outlaw pens. Because, you know, if you can't sign something, then it can't give you birth control.
Subscribe on iTunes | Subscribe On Stitcher | Direct Download | RSS
- Today on the Kagro in the Morning show: the 7/10/13 podcast. Greg Dworkin rounds up the Canadian derailment, docs against new abortion restrictions & Snowden polling. Cloture votes down, gridlock's worse. Armando philosophizes on crime, graft, constitutional rights & more.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Angie in WA State, Fabienne, eeff, CoolOnion, Eyesbright, Diana in NoVa, Emmy, JVolvo, gchaucer2, JeffW, JamieG from Md, Larsstephens, NM Ray, Democrats Ramshield, i saw an old tree today, belinda ridgewood
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues" is a casual community diary (published Monday - Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography and other things of ...39 comments 22 Recs
- As the Bonn Climate Talks launched today, France's foreign minister Laurent Fabius urged that any climate agreement agreed to in Paris this December must be worded in a manner which does not ...9 comments 22 Recs
- Among other threats to his ex-wife, Anthony Douglas Elonis posted this on his Facebook wall: If I only knew then what I know now, I would have smothered your ass with a pillow, dumped your body ...182 comments 95 Recs
- See a pattern here? Do or say something that's batshit crazily offensive, like refusing to serve pizza to a gay couple, then complain when the not-insane world says nasty things about you and ...46 comments 92 Recs
- Samantha Elauf, denied a sales job at an ...144 comments 61 Recs
- The hero of Fox News speaks ...81 comments 78 Recs
- Democratic Sen. Michael Bennet got some ...14 comments 6 Recs
- Gov. Scott Walker (R-WI) Last fall, as he campaigned for re-election as governor of ...48 comments 48 Recs
- This last Saturday, May 30th a special group of people got together once again to eat, drink and share. As usual it was relaxing, fun and informative. Here are a couple of pictures of one end of ...19 comments 23 Recs
- ALL HANDS ON DECK. This is not a drill. The vote in the House of Representatives on fast track trade authority, preapproving the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) before the public finds out what is ...4 comments 15 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12450)
- Afghanistan (11513)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25215)
- Community (91594)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2400)
- Economy (56334)
- eKos (12471)
- Environment (46422)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15209)
- Jobs (12499)
- Labor (28780)
- Libya (4270)