- Today's comic by Ruben Bolling is A formula for inequity, told in four generations:
- Initial claims for jobless compensation fall to 304,000.
- Out of state visitors account for 44% of recreational marijuana purchases in Colorado:
Total marijuana demand in Colorado, where the nation's first recreational pot shops opened in January, is estimated at 130 tons this year, a study for the state's revenue authority said this week.
A day after Washington became only the second state to allow recreational sales of the drug to adults, the report release on Wednesday said the projected demand in Colorado was much higher than anticipated.
- Here's one way to wind up on the NSA watch list:
Last week, German journalists revealed that the National Security Agency has a program to collect information about people who use privacy-protecting services, including popular anonymizing software called Tor. But it's not clear how many users have been affected.
So we did a little sleuthing, and found that the NSA's targeting list corresponds with the list of directory servers used by Tor between December 2010 and February 2012 – including two servers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Tor users connect to the directory servers when they first launch the Tor service.
That means that if you downloaded Tor during 2011, the NSA may have scooped up your computer's IP address and flagged you for further monitoring. The Tor Project is a nonprofit that receives significant funding from the U.S. government.
- 204 years of Supreme Court decisions that turned corporations into people.
A new 1.1-MW solar array built by REC Solar atop the future Miami-Dade IKEA
store opening this summer in Sweetwater, FL.
- Don't touch that button: A study at three Toronto hospitals published in the journal Open Medicine found that "The prevalence of colonization (with bacteria) of elevator buttons was 61 percent." On flushing handles and other toilet surfaces, it was 43 percent.
- An encounter with police in Charleston, South Carolina, has left another black teen dead. Multiple witnesses, all refusing to give their names, told the same story that 19-year-old Denzel "Jaba" Burnell was shot in the back of the head by an officer while Burnell was kneeling with his hands behind his back. Team Blackness also discussed a new study that revealed men would rather electrocute themselves then be alone with their thoughts, new insight on feminism from Fox News, and a Texas city that wants to ban undocumented children, because 'Murica!
Subscribe on iTunes | Subscribe On Stitcher | Direct Download | RSS
- On today's encore Kagro in the Morning show, it's the 7/12/13 podcast: Sharknado; Monte Frank of Team 26; where4art's e-mail on Spitzer, and; the big, final installment on the 1975 nuclear/constitutional option showdown, featuring an extra bonus hour!
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
YucatanMan, Dave in Northridge, gchaucer2, JeffW, mayim, rhutcheson, LinSea, dharmasyd, maryabein, wintergreen8694, Eric Nelson, belinda ridgewood
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- OND Editors OND is a community feature on Daily Kos, consisting of news stories from around the world, sometimes coupled with a daily theme, original research or commentary. Editors of OND ...23 comments 22 Recs
- Um, so apparently no one was scheduled for tonight. Consider this an open thread while your TC team throws the rest together.95 comments 40 Recs
- 4 comments 12 Recs
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues" is a casual community diary (published Monday - Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography and other things of ...85 comments 26 Recs
- [Mikey Weinstein]: This guest Op-Ed from my dear friend, Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF) Advisory Board member, and former Secretary of State Colin Powell’s Chief of Staff Lawrence ...6 comments 41 Recs
- Healthcare reform is not done. Not by a long shot. While Obamacare has gone a very long way ...13 comments 16 Recs
- Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-TX) Sen.9 comments 13 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12390)
- Afghanistan (11508)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25012)
- Community (91170)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56220)
- eKos (12466)
- Environment (46195)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15064)
- Jobs (12469)
- Labor (28637)
- Libya (4270)