- Today's comic by Jen Sorensen is Getting burned:
- Voters head to the polls for primaries in Connecticut, Minnesota, and Wisconsin tonight. Republicans will choose nominees for governor in the first two of those states, and they'll also pick a replacement for the irreplaceable Michelle Bachmann. Our roundup of all the key races can be found here, and join us at 8 PM ET as we liveblog all the results.
- These Daily Kos community posts were the most shared on Facebook August 11:
Why Black Men Don't Open Carry, by Vyan
Time For Real Journalists To Hold McCain's Feet To The Fire, by Retroactive Genius
- Klan outnumbered by counter-protesters in Troy, North Carolina:
“Don’t come back to Troy, boy!”
The crowd took up the chant as the KKK group dispersed from in front of the Montgomery County courthouse in Troy on Saturday afternoon.
A counter-protest organized via the Internet to a Ku Klux Klan rally in Troy had brought between 400-500 people to Main Street with signs that let the Klan know they weren’t welcome.
- A tiny French town called "Death to Jews" refuses to change its name.
“This name has always existed,” [deputy mayor] Marie-Elizabeth Secretand told AFP.” No one has anything against the Jews, of course. It doesn’t surprise me that this is coming up again,” she added.
“Why change a name that goes back to the Middle Ages or even further? We should respect these old names.”
- Some charts on why rent is so damned high:
Part of the problem has to do with simple supply and demand. Millions of Americans lost their homes during the foreclosure crisis, and many of those folks flooded into the rental market. [...]Here are comparative rents for the top 25 metropolitan areas
Alongside the foreclosure crisis, the financial collapse and ensuing recession jacked up unemployment and squeezed incomes. [...] Rent prices going up, but your income isn't.
- Shepard Smith says he regrets calling Robin Williams a "coward" for committing suicide:
- Montana's Sen. Lebowski?
An effort to draft Hollywood star and Paradise Valley resident Jeff Bridges as the Democratic Party's replacement for Sen. John Walsh on the November ballot has grown like wildfire over the weekend.
Former Livingston businesswoman Lizabeth “Libby” Pratt began the campaign to draft Bridges into the U.S. Senate race on Friday. The surge has even gotten the actor's attention.
[On the Howard Stern show Monday with his wife, Susan, Bridges said:]
“I looked down and I see this thing ‘Jeff Bridges for Senator' and I said, ‘What?' … There's a group of people that have called in and want me to run for senator of Montana, like 1,000 people, and I said, ‘Sue?'” Bridges said. “And she looks at me and says, ‘Don't even think about it.'”
- In the wake of the police shooting of Michael Brown, there has been conflicting information about Brown's interaction with the police, conflicting information about subsequent riots and conflicting information about how long they Brown's body was left to lie at the scene. But what does not seem to be conflicted is the mainstream media's attempt to erase the victim. For instance, the Associated Press used the headline: "Missouri Crowd After Shooting: 'Kill the Police'." This is why we need objective journalism.
Subscribe on iTunes | Subscribe On Stitcher | Direct Download | RSS
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show: we go from Ferguson to foreign aid to militarized cops versus various kinds of protests, and somehow it all works. Along the way: Siegelman's judge arrested; new party sweeps Spain, and; how bad Tucker Carlson really is.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
mimi, raincrow, Lefty Coaster, gpoutney, justiceputnam, BeninSC, jnhobbs, JeffW, Just Bob, renzo capetti, annieli, Mr MadAsHell, enhydra lutris, whaddaya, Eric Nelson, belinda ridgewood, hbk
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- 4 comments 10 Recs
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues" is a casual community diary (published Monday - Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography and other things of ...80 comments 24 Recs
- [Mikey Weinstein]: This guest Op-Ed from my dear friend, Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF) Advisory Board member, and former Secretary of State Colin Powell’s Chief of Staff Lawrence ...6 comments 40 Recs
- Healthcare reform is not done. Not by a long shot. While Obamacare has gone a very long way ...13 comments 11 Recs
- Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-TX) Sen.9 comments 12 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12390)
- Afghanistan (11508)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25011)
- Community (91165)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56218)
- eKos (12466)
- Environment (46191)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15063)
- Jobs (12469)
- Labor (28635)
- Libya (4270)