The United States is one of the 57 members of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe. The OSCE is probably best known for the courageous work of Michael Bociurkiw and his team of inspectors at the Malaysia Airlines MH17 debris field in eastern Ukraine.
More recently, the OSCE attracted attention for a press conference given at one of the Russia-Ukraine border crossing checkpoints it was monitoring. Members of the Russian press were clearly bewildered by the principles of neutrality and impartiality as Paul Picard provided strictly objective responses to their questions.
There's a link to the video at the top of the page at
The quality of the OSCE’s work is excellent. That’s why it’s statement today matters.
||OSCE Representative says media has a right to cover civil disturbances without intimidation
VIENNA, 14 August 2014 – OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media Dunja Mijatović said today that the arrest of two reporters covering civil disturbances in Ferguson, a suburb of St. Louis, Missouri, was unacceptable and a clear violation of the right of media to cover news.
Washington Post reporter Wesley Lowery and Huffington Post reporter Ryan J. Reilly were taken into custody by local police on 13 August while filing reports on demonstrations triggered by the fatal shooting of a local resident. They were released without charges filed.
“Summarily rounding up journalists while they are doing their jobs sends a dangerous precedent and must never be condoned,” Mijatović said. “Journalists have the right to report on public demonstrations without being intimated by the police.”
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
cotterperson, YucatanMan, blueoasis, kingfishstew, annieli, DRo, George3, thanatokephaloides, ypochris
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Mark Lippman
- Denny Hastert Did anyone see this coming? Former Speaker of the House Denny Hastert, a Republican who ...221 comments 89 Recs
- He's already won. Believe it or not (I didn't at first), Hillary's primary poll ...790 comments 153 Recs
- For several decades, state and local governments have been showering private businesses with tax breaks and direct subsidies based on the theory that this practice fosters economic development and, ...10 comments 17 Recs
- Recently, outlaw motorcycle clubs engaged in a daylight gun battle in Waco, Texas. This combat involved hundreds of people. The mall where the riot occurred was left resembling a war zone, with ...48 comments 23 Recs
- Ann Kirkpatrick Tuesday morning brought some exciting news for Arizona Democrats, as Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick announced she'd run against veteran ...57 comments 59 Recs
- 100 comments 25 Recs
- I'm shocked! Shocked! Joe Arpaio is attempting to "manipulate the judicial system" Oh, gawd. This is breaking this morning in Phoenix: lawyers for Maricopa County Sheriff Joe ...85 comments 159 Recs
- Texas Sen. John Cornyn, right, with Sen. Ted ...54 comments 133 Recs
- Hillary Clinton, at a small-business roundtable in Iowa, loses nothing by bypassing the traditional ...263 comments 127 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi could be key in the fight over fast-track trade legislation. Senate Majority Leader Mitch ...46 comments 59 Recs
Mark Lippman's Tags
- No current results.