- Today's comic by Tom Tomorrow is Officer Friendly:
- Here's what you missed at Sunday Kos ...
Ferguson, Clive Bundy, and the Second Amendment, Dante Atkins
Clues for navigating the alphabet soup of health insurance, Joan McCarter
American veterans, their challenges and the wrong side of heaven, Mark E Andersen
'Show Me' Missouri racism, Denise Oliver Velez
Hillary Clinton can only win with the Obama coalition, Egberto Willies
- How Ferguson situation unfolded over a week of front pages in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
- Reid optimistic about Senate as he trashes Koch brothers:
U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., told a large crowd in Reno on Sunday that he was confident the Democrats would keep the majority in the Senate after the 2014 Election Day. [...]
Reid had harsh words for the Koch brothers and their financial backing of Democratic opponents and their influence on American politics. [...]
"They (Koch brothers) think they have enough money to buy America," Reid said. "Not only with the U.S. Senate, not only with the House of Representatives but with the constitutional offices as well. They are even involved with the state senate races here (in Nevada) as well."
- USGS report: Climate change altering Missouri River:
Climate change is altering the flow of the Missouri River, the nation’s longest, causing increased streamflow in some parts and decreased flow in others, according to a new report.
The report, published by the U.S. Geological Survey, looked at streamflow data from 227 streamgages — tools that estimate water flow — in the Missouri River from over the past 50 years. According to the study, almost half of the streamgages showed either increasing or decreasing trends in flow since 1960. In the eastern part of the river’s watershed, which includes parts of North and South Dakota and Iowa, streamflows have increased, while in western states like Montana and Wyoming, streamflow has decreased.
- White people who learn percentage of blacks in prison is more than percentage of whites may generate support for the harsh policies that produced that skew.
- Remember how that parent or mentor told you to trust your gut?
Within the human digestive system lives a massive ecosystem of bacteria, known as gut flora or the gut microbiota, and recent research suggests that these microbes can manipulate your brain into eating unhealthy things and even into feeling stressed and depressed. This is all part of the schemes bacteria use to optimize their environment for themselves.
- Risk-taking teens' brains may be networked differently:
Brain differences associated with risk-taking teens have been investigated by researchers who found that connections between certain brain regions are amplified in teens more prone to risk. "Our brains have an emotional-regulation network that exists to govern emotions and influence decision-making," explained the study's lead author. "Antisocial or risk-seeking behavior may be associated with an imbalance in this network."
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show: Greg Dworkin rounds up the Perry indictment, Gop 2016 blues, Iraq, jobs & improvement at the VA. On Ferguson: Jeffrey Smith's insightful backgrounder & Mark Sumner on their school struggles. Finally, no, it's not just libertarians.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
mimi, eeff, navajo, Lefty Coaster, justiceputnam, timewarp, Dartagnan, JeffW, MikePhoenix, LinSea, Larsstephens, annieli, FarWestGirl, thomask, enhydra lutris, Eric Nelson, belinda ridgewood, George3, librarisingnsf, snau
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- There's an old Monty Python sketch in which a "Face the Press" interviewer grills the Minister for Home Affairs: "You claimed that you would build 88,000 million, billion houses a year in the ...4 comments 10 Recs
- I just finished George Marshall's book Don’t Even Think about It: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Ignore Climate Change . The timing could not be more ironic for I also read this diary by ...29 comments 21 Recs
- Precinct Organizing Support Sought My county's Precinct Organizing Committee is planning a "train the trainers" session in July. I'm working with a couple of folks to track down good hands-on ...31 comments 11 Recs
- Texas' state Senate districts (click to enlarge) In a move that election law expert Rick Hasen characterizes as "surprising," the Supreme Court ...27 comments 12 Recs
- Hey KTK peeps! It's me again, signing on from Austin where it is sunny and...oh wait it looks like it might rain again tonight after all. Was that thunder in the distance AGAIN? Maybe it was just ...105 comments 72 Recs
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues" is a casual community diary (published Monday - Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography and other things of ...53 comments 28 Recs
- Some times the 'best medicine' is the truth. And one thing's for sure about Candidate Bernie Sanders -- We can always count on him to tell us the truth. Especially when it comes to the fading ...78 comments 67 Recs
- If you were to read some of the audience’s comments in [http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/05/26/1387749/-Gaius-Publius-Hillary-TPP-the-World-of-Money-and-the-Center-for-American-Progress THIS ...11 comments 30 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12430)
- Afghanistan (11509)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25084)
- Community (91367)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56277)
- eKos (12468)
- Environment (46314)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15119)
- Jobs (12491)
- Labor (28721)
- Libya (4270)