Sometimes life feels like a parody of some better, more logical life. Other times, life calls for good parodies to make it easier to laugh in the face of awful. Follow me below the orange tear-gas cloud (grab a protection pak please) after a word from our sponsor...
Here at Top Comments we strive to nourish community by rounding up some of the site's best, funniest, most mojo'd & most informative commentary, and we depend on your help!! If you see a comment by another Kossack that deserves wider recognition, please send it either to topcomments at gmail or to the Top Comments group mailbox by 9:30pm Eastern. Please please please include a few words about why you sent it in as well as your user name (even if you think we know it already :-)), so we can credit you with the find!
Parody. Wikipedia sayeth it is an imitative work created to imitate, or comment on and trivialize an original work, its subject, author, style, or some other target, by means of satiric or ironic imitation..
Back in college, there was some sort of kerfluffle involving the head of the Student Activities Board or Student Senate, not sure which. His last name was similar to "Sharif" from the Clash's Rock the Casbah. A brilliant parody was done, witty funny and more, titled Rock The Commons (the Student Union building). Let's take a look at some more well-known songs:
The parody song du jour is Tacky, by none other than "Weird Al" Yankovic. It is, of course, his version of Pharrell's Happy.On to tonight's Tops, which are definitely no parody but are 100% genuine originals! Brought to you by the one and only BeninSC!
Last up before I turn you loose to share your own is one by local band The Fools. Everybody loves a Psycho Chicken, right? A hilarious parody of Psycho Killer, by the band that nearly played at my high school one prom (so legend has it) - the Talking Heads
Brillig's ObDisclaimer: The decision to publish each nomination lies with the evening's Diarist and/or Comment Formatter. My evenings at the helm, I try reeeeallllyy hard to publish everything without regard to content. I really do, even when I disagree personally with any given nomination. "TopCommentness" lies in the eyes of the nominator and of you, the reader - I leave the decision to you. I do not publish self-nominations (ie your own comments) and if I ruled the world, we'd all build community, supporting and uplifting instead of tearing our fellow Kossacks down.
From Angie in WA State:
Thanks to Coss for an insightful comment linking a lot of different factors in a succinct and telling turn of phrase in kos' diary about Journalists being arrested and otherwise harassed in the performance of their Constitutionally protected work as members of the Free Press while covering #Ferguson
Maybe they need to wear moronic hats and hang teabags from their ears to shield themselves from law enforcement.
Thanks, TC Team!
Brilliant comment by JoanMar. Gets right to the point about so much of what's been going on.
From Denise Oliver Velez:
Please read this comment by FogCityJohn, in today's Black Kos diary.
(And, yet another from Fog City John! Great work!)
From joedemocrat:I would like to submit this comment by Fog City John. In this comment, Fog City John gives an excellent summary of what's relevant in our discussions surrounding the murder of Mike Brown in Ferguson.
From Yours Truly, brillig:Top Mojo for yesterday, August 18th, first comments and tip jars excluded. Thank you mik for the mojo magic! For those of you interested in How Top Mojo Works, please see his diary FAQing Top Mojo.Puddytat nails the biggest threat to police in kos' diary What a stupid excuse for arresting reporters
From Hunter's Police to Al Jazeera: 'I'll bust your head right here' comes this observation by reddog1 as to what the cop was doing.
1) This is a very important diary by Roadbed Guy — 241Top Comments with Pictures for yesterday, August 18th, courtesy of jotter!
2) They don't need a PR firm. They need a soul. by Wee Mama — 151
3) Harlem, by Langston Hughes by Its the Supreme Court Stupid — 137
4) Thank you for the link by Phoebe Loosinhouse — 129
5) Where is the tox report on the cop by OregonWetDog — 120
6) As far as I can tell by thejeff — 116
7) Agree that New Yorker article was important by lgmcp — 107
8) Irony. by miss SPED — 107
9) Interesting times indeed. by One Pissed Off Liberal — 105
10) Who are the agitators again? by ranger995 — 102
11) There was a diary yesterday by Richard Lyon — 102
12) Small municipalities in north St. Louis County... by duckhunter — 100
13) I live two counties north of St. Louis county by Got a Grip — 99
14) tiresome to write; has to be done by chaunceydevega — 99
15) THAT was my whole point. by xxdr zombiexx — 98
16) Excellent post. by TomP — 98
17) FTP is part of what makes the shot iconic by TrueBlueMajority — 98
18) No, don't delete it... by a gilas girl — 97
19) asdf by sgilman — 95
20) oh I see hunter wrote about this earlier by TrueBlueMajority — 94
21) proud member of that by gravlax — 93
22) The legacy of Ronald Reagan and small government by ontheleftcoast — 91
23) His reporting has been terrible and all by JoanMar — 91
24) I actually felt bad for Don Lemon by moviemeister76 — 87
25) Olson "shocked at how heavily armed... by kurious — 87
26) The issue of traffic tickets is important... by RerumCognoscereCausas — 84
27) I think you're concluding too much. by jrooth — 82
28) The National Guard by phillies — 82
29) Brown's friend's version sounds right... by SixSixSix — 81
30) For a couple of years we have seen thousands of by Leslie Salzillo — 81