- Today's comic by Jen Sorensen is If cops treated bankers the way Ferguson cops treat black people:
- "Tonight, voters in Arizona, Florida, and Oklahoma head to the polls in our penultimate primary night of the year. Arizona will have a host of contests to watch: We have a nasty open Republican gubernatorial primary, a race in a safely blue Phoenix seat, and a contest between three very flawed Republicans to take on Democratic Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick in a light red seat. Polls close in most of Florida at 7 PM ET (which is when we will start live-blogging), in Oklahoma at 8 PM ET, and in Arizona at 10 PM ET. You can check out our primary preview here.
- These Daily Kos community posts were the most shared on Facebook August 25:
- The Alabama GOP is merely cough-cough asking questions.
- No excuse for lack of diversity in green movement:
Roughly 50 environmentalists of various racial backgrounds — African American, Native American, Latina, and Caribbean — gathered at the National Press Club yesterday with a message for mainstream green institutions: If you are serious about diversity, then put your money where your mouth is or suffer the consequences later.
The newly launched Diverse Environmental Leaders National Speakers Bureau, or “DEL,” convened yesterday on the 98th birthday of the National Park Service to convey chiefly two things: That environmentalists of color are plentiful and available as employees and leaders, and that environmental groups and government agencies have no legitimate excuses for having predominantly white workforces.
- After suspension for bullying, Richie Incognito is back in the game:
Incognito is a free agent and is set to meet with several NFL teams. The offensive lineman huddled with Tampa Bay on Monday.
Incognito was suspended by the Dolphins in November after Jonathan Martin abruptly left the team, saying he was bullied by him.
His attorney David Cornell called it "harassment that went far beyond the traditional locker room hazing."
- Durable goods, consumer confidence soar: Durable goods sales, a much-watched measure of economic health, rose a phenomenal 22.6 percent in July, following a revised 2.7 percent increase in June. It was the biggest gain ever. There is a caveat, however. The increase was boosted by aircraft orders. Outside the transportation sector, durable goods purchases fell 0.8 percent. Meanwhile, consumer confidence rose 2.1 points to 92.4, with a 6.7 point increase in the "present situation" component to 94.6. Far more consumers are saying jobs are now plentiful, at 18.2 percent vs July's 15.6 percent.
- Twelve people killed by their own inventions or discoveries.
- We've already have had five major Eastern Pacific hurricanes in a season that has three months to go:
According to NOAA's Climate Prediction Center, the average Eastern Pacific hurricane season runs from May 15 through the end of November, and sees 15.4 total named storms, including 8.4 hurricanes, and 3.9 major hurricanes (Category 3 and greater). This year, by contrast, has already seen 13 storms, including 8 hurricanes, and 5 major hurricanes! And there are still fully 3 months to go.
- Elon is back from Ferguson, Missouri, and he has a few things to share. From breakdowns on national television to what the experience on the ground has really been like to major mistakes by the mainstream media, we pull back the revolutionary curtain.
Subscribe on iTunes | Subscribe On Stitcher | Direct Download | RSS
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show: The shots that killed Michael Brown? When unarmed teens & stay-at-home moms aren't. MAJOR GunFAIL. The "white privilege" of "being afraid for your life." "Suburban ghettos." How AIPAC got Israel funding passed during a Senate recess.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
side pocket, historys mysteries, OpherGopher, koNko, Dartagnan, JeffW, vtgal, Susan Grigsby, renzo capetti, annieli, mikejay611, enhydra lutris, belinda ridgewood, this just in, eyo, SanFernandoValleyMom, hbk, ekoh
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- Thursday morning, the ...15 comments 14 Recs
- 44 comments 45 Recs
- 175 comments 290 Recs
- In the latest attack on the climate science community, John Mashey (a computer scientist and frequent DeSmogBlog contributor) was sued for $2 million for exposing plagiarism. It's a long and weird ...5 comments 20 Recs
- Yesterday, Republican Justin Amash (MI-03) and Democrat John Lewis (GA-05) as well as 58 of their colleagues sent a letter to the Senate calling on them to pass real NSA reform as opposed to the ...2 comments 12 Recs
- State and federal government crews continue to monitor the clean up of a big oil spill off the coast of Santa Barbara as the size of the disaster has expanded. The spill from a ruptured pipeline ...14 comments 23 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12390)
- Afghanistan (11508)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (24980)
- Community (91119)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56197)
- eKos (12465)
- Environment (46167)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15056)
- Jobs (12467)
- Labor (28622)
- Libya (4270)