- Today's comic by Jen Sorensen is Tips and tricks for new college students:
- Here's what you missed on Sunday Kos ...
President Bush declared Iraq a 'catastrophic success' ten years ago, by Jon Perr
Daily Kos Elections Power Rankings: The Governors (Back to School Edition), by Steve Singiser
'Stuck in the past' on women? Play offense, say GOP strategists, by Dante Atkins
The best and worst campaign ads of 2014 (so far), by Jeff Singer
White man jaywalks with gun...guess what happens?, by Denise Oliver Velez
- Dog-kicking CEO canned.
- On this date 113 years ago: Teddy Roosevelt delivered his "Speak softly and carry a big stick" speech at the Minnesota State Fair. Less than two weeks later he was sworn in as president after McKinley died from an assassin's bullet.
A good many of you are probably acquainted with the old proverb, “Speak softly and carry a big stick—you will go far.” If a man continually blusters, if he lacks civility, a big stick will not save him from trouble, and neither will speaking softly avail, if back of the softness there does not lie strength, power. In private life there are few beings more obnoxious than the man who is always loudly boasting, and if the boaster is not prepared to back up his words, his position becomes absolutely contemptible. So it is with the nation. It is both foolish and undignified to indulge in undue self-glorification, and, above all, in loose-tongued denunciation of other peoples. Whenever on any point we come in contact with a foreign power, I hope that we shall always strive to speak courteously and respectfully of that foreign power.
Let us make it evident that we intend to do justice. Then let us make it equally evident that we will not tolerate injustice being done us in return. Let us further make it evident that we use no words which we are not which prepared to back up with deeds, and that while our speech is always moderate, we are ready and willing to make it good. Such an attitude will be the surest possible guarantee of that self-respecting peace, the attainment of which is and must ever be the prime aim of a self-governing people. …
- FBI checking into nude celebrity photos:
A statement released by the agency Monday afternoon doesn’t elaborate on what steps are being taken to determine how intimate images of Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Lawrence and other stars were leaked. [...]
The FBI has investigated previous leaks of nude celebrity images, including leaks involving Scarlett Johansson, Christina Aguilera and footage shot of television sports reporter Erin Andrews in a Tennessee hotel room.
- Never too early to start your Xmas shopping.
- Cops arrest black politician for distributing leaflets:
The stars of North Carolina’s Moral Mondays movement took the stage on Labor Day at Charlotte’s Marshall Park to condemn the state’s record on voter suppression and racial profiling, and urge the community to organize and turn out at the polls this November. Just a few hundred feet away, police cuffed and arrested local LGBT activist and former State Senate candidate Ty Turner as he was putting voting rights information on parked cars.
“They said they would charge me for distributing literature,” Turner told ThinkProgress when he was released a few hours later. “I asked [the policeman] for the ordinance number [being violated], because they can’t put handcuffs on you if they cannot tell you why they’re detaining you. I said, ‘Show me where it’s illegal to do this.’ But he would not do it. The officer got mad and grabbed me. Then he told me that I was resisting arrest!”
- Dealing with climate change means changing our diet:
Food production alone is poised to reach or exceed total global targets for greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 (as in, emissions targets for everything). We may tend to focus on energy and energy production as represented by coal-based power plants and fracking, but the food system is a massive semi-hidden variable in the global warming progression. A study out today in the journal Nature Climate Change once again makes the argument that changing the global food system is crucial to slowing climate change and for ensuring food supplies in general.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show: Cantor's new job. Greg Dworkin on the deaths of Gop anti-Obamacare strategy & the "wave." Russian sanctions & new conspiracy theories. Brooklynbadboy: rich vs. insanely rich. Armando on Michael Sam & the NFL's many issues.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Gooserock, CoolOnion, navajo, lotac, LinSea, maryabein, paradise50, Patate, ericlewis0, Oh Mary Oh, gravlax, Eric Nelson, belinda ridgewood, aresea, jbsoul, hbk
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- 11 comments 21 Recs
- The Kansas Democratic Party has completed their search for the next executive director of the party, and the answer came from within. Kerry Gooch, formerly political director for the Kansas ...4 comments 9 Recs
- That is all.28 comments 21 Recs
- Cross-posted from Real Economics . The TPP has brought the issue of "free trade agreements" to the fore again, so I think it is time we looked honestly at what has happened to the three North ...33 comments 48 Recs
- Welcome to Kitchen Table Kibitzing! Tonight is Open Thread Night. Please make yourself at home and enjoy the company of our community!94 comments 36 Recs
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues" is a casual community diary (published Monday - Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography and other things of ...61 comments 27 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12318)
- Afghanistan (11497)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (24711)
- Community (90372)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2376)
- Economy (55849)
- eKos (12437)
- Environment (45699)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1195)
- International (14747)
- Jobs (12419)
- Labor (28279)
- Libya (4265)