Posting History for Bill Day
I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I call myself that in order to distinguish myself from the dominant strain of North American Christianity. At the risk of sounding arrogant and judgmental, I am ...
|“The Horror! The Horror”: Iraq Body Count
During our war in Iraq, we often heard about our troops, often referred to as “heroes,” who had died in the war. The total number of our troops who died in Iraq was approximately 4800. ...
|An Orwellian Dictionary for Our Time
I started this “dictionary” shortly after seeing a 60 Minutes segment about rare earth elements. After learning that we use vast quantities of such elements, particularly in the new F-35 jet ...
Many of us have long recognized that this country needs to increase the minimum wage. But merely raising the minimum wage will not address the excessive and increasing concentrations of wealth that ...
It’s been four weeks since the shooting deaths of officers Ramos and Liu, and the NYPD apparently remain angry, blaming Mayor de Blasio and those protesting against police killings. Patrick Lynch, ...
|Police Under Siege!
The mainstream media lately have been decrying the 56% increase this year in the numbers of police officers fatally shot in the line of duty, apparently outraged that 50 police have been shot this ...
|“. . . As We Forgive Our Debtors”: A Moral Case for Debt Refusal
We have all been brought up with the idea that we must pay our debts, that failure to pay back a debt is morally wrong. Since the 2008 financial crisis, banks have argued that writing down debt, ...
|On Unconscious Racism
My primary purpose here is to call attention to a recent article on the unconscious racism that infects nearly all us white Americans, even, as I suggested in an earlier diary , the most well-...
|Republican Myth: Deficit Spending Threatens Our Future
If we are ever again to achieve progressive governance in this country, we must boldly challenge a number of insidious myths promulgated by Republicans and in many cases moderate Democrats as well. ...
Often on Thursday mornings I volunteer at a local church in a poor neighborhood in Griffin, GA, the town in which I live. Since the mills closed and moved overseas about 15 years ago, Griffin has ...
|What Do We Do Now?
It was, no doubt, a dismal election. The forces of hate, fear, bigotry, ignorance and dishonesty have won. But while pundits talk about the impact of Senate and gubernatorial races, probably the ...
On October 3-17, I was privileged to take a river cruise with Grand Circle Cruise lines called “Russia Revealed.” I can best sum up the trip by saying that “revealed” is an appropriate title ...
|Dick Cheney, Prophet
Bill Moyers, in a June 29th interview with anti-war Middle East scholar and retired Army Colonel Andrew Bacevich, quotes from a 1994 interview with Dick Cheney, altogether too outspoken former VP :
|The Failures of Capitalism
Localized small business capitalism can be, in theory, a workable system that provides a decent living standard for those living in small communities. But even in such a system there is no such ...
I am at once deeply saddened and profoundly angry at the murder of Michael Brown and the subsequent militarized police action in Ferguson, Missouri. This is no ordinary police effort to maintain ...
|Why Are Honduran Refugee Children Crossing Our Border? Because WE DROVE THEM OUT OF THEIR COUNTRY
Ok. So the sensationalist headline is grossly oversimplified. The chain of events that led these refugee children to flee their home is complex, but there can be no doubt that our policies toward ...
|Some Things Worth Fighting (Non-violently) For
This is just a laundry list—no development and no particular order, just issues I care about deeply. It’s a product of frustration and anger about many things I’d like to write about in detail ...
|In God We Trust? I think not.
Where I live in Georgia, license plates with the phrase “In God We Trust” are ubiquitous. Though I am a follower of Jesus Christ, I will not put such a license plate on my car. Intended as a ...
|Cut Federal Contractor Executives’ Pay
Two or three times a month I have the privilege of listening to desperately poor people tell their stories. It seems as though virtually every one of them I have talked to in the last several months ...
|A Modest Republican Proposal for People Lacking Health Insurance
We encounter them constantly in places as varied as subways, airplanes, restaurants, and stores. They’re at McDonalds and WalMart, in Target and Starbucks. Over and over again, we are forced to ...
|The True “Makers” and “Takers”: Re-defining Work
Many of our politicians along with the rest of the 1% have led us in a fundamentally dishonest understanding of the nature of work. They have come to define work as simply holding a job for which we ...
|Republican Jobs Plan
Here's our new jobs plan. We think it incorporates the essence of our ideology and should appeal to all Republicans, from Tea Partiers to establishment Republicans.
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by Bill Day
- is the title of this short piece by Eugene Robinson in the Post Partisan section of the Washington Post . Robinson reminds us that the entire incident reeks of racial bias. Gray was on a street ...80 comments 217 Recs
- The officers who killed Freddie Gray have finally been formally charged with murder and manslaughter. Three of the six officers are African-American. ...54 comments 19 Recs
- Colors changed so the map can be seen by all. Original is below the fold. Click ...229 comments 132 Recs
- "You know, I, for the love of me, I cannot understand why people who have billions of dollars are compulsively driven for more and how many people have got to die because they don't go to a doctor,33 comments 49 Recs
- Thank you ABC News and and George Stephanopoulos for giving a Progressive Candidate a forum, on your national "Political Viewpoints" show. More please . Sen. Bernie Sanders Says America Needs '...190 comments 179 Recs
- Originally posted at Eclectablog.com . Shoot 'em? Teana Walsh, an assistant Wayne County, Michigan prosecutor posted this on her Facebook page after watching images of protesters and rioters in ...140 comments 259 Recs
- Besides standing up against Trade Deals that end up exporting American Jobs; Besides calling for more equitable Tax rates on the Wealthy, that will reduce the dangerous and growing gaps in Income ...156 comments 191 Recs
- My best friend when I was small was a Friend. Her parents were birthright Quakers active in prison reform and nuclear disarmament. As a child I saw the homelier side of Quaker practice - the silent ...45 comments 136 Recs
- You know what? I feel for the cops in Baltimore. I feel sympathy for the cops who take arrestees on "rough rides" because the sumbitches did "whatever" to stress them out. The cops who prolong the ...8 comments 8 Recs
- Bloods and Crips uniting and disputing the claims of the Baltimore Police Yesterday, immediately after the funeral of Freddie Gray, the Baltimore Police Department released an ...249 comments 272 Recs
Bill Day's Tags
- No current results.
Bill Day's Blogroll
- No current results.