Huffington Post has a poll to pick 5 of the years' biggest political disappointments of the year. Most of the picks center around Obama. Take your pick, Healthcare, Climate Change, Afghanistan, etc. Heck, they even threw in the Chicago Olympics. That got me to thinking about what some of my biggest political disappointments of the year were. I'm not going to do a list of 5, but I am going to list the ones that got me "Fired Up". So join me below the fold for a different interpretation.
I think at this point, we all know where each other stands on the Health Care debate, so I'm not even going to attempt to sway anyone here on the merits or disadvantages of the bill. But what I would like to do is remind people of just what we should be focusing on instead of cannibalizing our own. The GOP continues to be the party of intolerence, arrogance, and just plain mean spiritedness.
Obviously there is some "ahem" tension around here regarding Obama, Health Care, Jobs, Climate etc. I have seen it on the wreck list every day this week. But I wanted to step back this "wintry mix" Friday and fill you in on what you may have missed this week while all the fighting has been going on. The Republicans, GOP, teapartiers, Fox News, Sarah Palin are still around folks, and they have been very busy. Join me below the fold for a few items that we MAYBE should be paying attention to.
I know the economy is still woefully underperforming and there is a new narrative that is starting to take hold that the stimulus hasn't done a thing except put us further in debt. Despite the fact that the CBO explicitly states that 1.6 million jobs were generated"
Via Politicalwire and (sorry for the Politico link, but I got it from Politicalwire)Ben Smith comes word of the new beta GOP.com Republican website. Now, we've all had some good laughs at Steele's and the GOP's "hipness", but most of those have been relegated to sound bites or "Reagraham Lincoln" Daily Show parodies. Now comes something that can be a source of daily mockery, depending on how often Steele updates his blog. Or how often they cycle through the "faces" of the GOP.
This is becoming a very nasty habit at Republican led town halls. Before it was just the Anti-Reformers being incredibly rude to those with real and heartbreaking Healthcare stories to tell. But now, it's the Representatives that are completely dismissing their contituents. And the nasty little habit has now seeped up into the chairman of the RNC, Michael Steele.
Think back over the past 2 months to all the town halls that have been held by Democratic representatives all over this country concerning health care. Hundreds. Now think back to all the abuse these same Democratic representatives have taken from the Anti-Reform crowd.
At a Tampa forum, Democratic Rep. Kathy Castor struggled to make herself heard and eventually cut her appearance short as dozens of people shouted "Tyranny! Tyranny! Tyranny!" reports the St. Petersburg Times. Amid the crowd of about 1,500, the newspaper reported, other chants rang out like, "Tell the truth! Tell the truth!" "Read the bill!" "Forty-million illegals! Forty million illegals!"
I had dropped Politico from my RSS feed a while ago, but happened to stumble across this
article by Ben Smith which seems to lay bare all of the arguments the left has been making about the "astroturfing" of the Tea Party/Town Hall events for the last few months. I'm not familiar with organizing marches/protests, etc, but this seems too crass by half. This is the headline:
As most of you know I'm "adopting" a once half feral stray that I decided to call His Majesty, Sir Snarklepants, or Snarkle for short. We've come a long way in the last 6 weeks and I post daily pictures and video on my my blog The Daily Snarkle. So here's the long and short of it. This has got to be one of the laziest cat I have ever seen. The evidence is below the fold.
When I was growing up, I had 2 sets of the most wonderful, loving grandparents a child could have. And I was lucky enough to have then well into adulthood as well. Each set had large backyard gardens and were fond of shrubs and trees and flowers of every variety. I grew up on home grown vegetables and fruits and trust me, they are are much better than the produce at your local Food Lion, or maybe it was just the love :) But both had a peculiar habit that I didn't understand until just recently, of just taking a chair under a tree outside and just sitting. Occasionally talking, but mainly just observing. But it was until recently when I, myself, started growing a garden and landscaping that I knew why they did it.
As most of you know, I'm adopting a half feral stray cat Well, any way, he went to his first vet visit yesterday. And here are the results. A fun, frivolous Saturday Morning diary. Join me below:
I'm sure that there are a few of you out there that know that I've been struggling to get my Mother on disability for 2 years now. During this time, she's been hospitalized several times with minor heart attacks, pneumonia, and various other ailments. All while being diabetic and incontinent. And through all of this, NO HEALTH INSURANCE!
Recommended by DJShay
- about Obama and his Bush tax cut compromise/capitulation. Like many progressives, I was angry at Obama for leading us on with his rhetoric about the unfairness of extending the upper-tier brackets ...906 comments 410 Recs
- Posted on behalf of @Symbolman On the 50th Anniversary of the Alaskan National Wildlife Refuge Sarah Palin kills a docile caribou, while TLC advertises for Oil Companies. Coincidence? ...66 comments 31 Recs
- BlackWaterDog (BWD) was hounded out of DailyKos to her new blog . Bonddad and NewDealDem are here ,2096 comments 639 Recs
- This is, of course, the internet. That means people can say they are whoever they want to say they are. Many people are telling the truth, many others are not, and none of us really knows the ...141 comments 25 Recs
- First off let me say this. I have no interest in debating with those who are comfortable hanging out on Daily Kos as it is now. This diary is only for those who agree with me. People who turn ...1006 comments 451 Recs
- I have already said what I think about BWD in my diary from last week ...1351 comments 395 Recs
- Seconds before President John F. Kennedy was assassinated 47 years ago in Dallas, Nellie Connally, wife of Texas Gov. John Connally, turned and ...427 comments 523 Recs
- I don't believe you. I've watched you for years and I've never believed you. You want the same 5 million+/year deals you see the other purveyors of outrage making. You're a one-note pony. You ...1005 comments 761 Recs
- Express Scripts - or ESI, is a wildly profitable company. Worth $26.5 billion, they are the second largest prescription medical supplier in the country and even during the recession, they pulled in ...192 comments 193 Recs
- For the second straight week, I have run across articles about the President of the United States. Now, you might ask why is that notable, all media is full of articles written about the POTUS. Good ...130 comments 46 Recs
- No current results.