|Barriers and Bridges
Created to facilitate conversations about race and racism. We invite people to share their personal experiences and perspectives. We will also be providing links to interesting articles and teaching tools. We plan to republish relevant posts from other groups and writers at Daily Kos.
|Black Kos community
Black Kos community group. This group publishes diaries that cover a broad range of topics including black history, the arts, politics, and the culture of peoples of African descent worldwide.
|Bring Home our Girls
On April 14, 2014, 276 schoolgirls were kidnapped from their school in Chibok, Nigeria. Since then, some of the teenagers have managed to escape; the vast majority of them, however, are still being held captive. The mission of this group will be to seek out and publicize efforts to bring home our girls. This group may or may not be dismantled once the girls are returned to their loved ones.
|Climate Change SOS
Blogathon: September 9-13, 2013
"Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world." ~ Desmond Tutu
Just a little group to talk about some things.
|Firearms Law and Policy
To advocate effectively for repeal or passage of firearms legislation we must first know and understand current law and policy, and how both are implemented, where we live. There is enormous variability across the country; the relative utility/relative risk of firearms is different on a 500 acre ranch in Montana than for a 1000 square foot apartment in New York. State and local laws reflect that diversity. We will discuss firearms law and policy with an emphasis on the many historical ethics an...
|House of LIGHTS
House of LIGHTS (Loving Inspiration, Giving Hope To Survivors). A place for survivors of physical, sexual, psychological, and emotional abuse, assaults, and bullying. A place for the people who support them. A quiet place for all voices to be heard. A safe place where we can learn to educate, support, and protect our children and each other.
|Kossacks for the Homeless Person
For those entwined in or interested in the plague of homelessness harming this nation.
|Obamacare Saves Lives
This imperfect law is saving lives, preventing bankruptcies, giving hope and comfort to millions. This group aims to celebrate the victories, even as we work to strengthen and perfect the law.
A community dedicated to bringing the news about President Obama and the 2012 campaign.
|Police Accountability Group
The police are creating more problems than they are solving. In incident after incident they escalate situations and create injury to persons in many cases persons that have done no wrong. The problem needs to be fixed but to do so light must be shined upon these incidents.
The Prison Watch group is dedicated to educating the Daily Kos community on the brutality inside America's prisons.
|Repeal or Amend the Second Amendment (RASA)
Our group promotes informed discussion about repealing, re-interpreting, or amending the Second Amendment of the US Constitution, following the infamous Scalia-led decisions in Heller and McDonald. Re-interpretation under a Democratic-majority Supreme Court might be easiest. If that is not possible, then repeal or amendment may be the last recourse. (This is not the same as banning guns. Gun regulation could e....
|Shut Down the NRA
A group to document News of gun violence, to create a Community of activists, and to create a platform for Action to work towards breaking the hold of the NRA on politicians and changes to gun law that will actually result in significant, measurable decreases in American gun violence and fatalities.
We are a group of women from all walks of life sharing our stories and discussing women's issues and rights with intersectionality to prevent erasure and preserve identities of all women. We are sisters in spirit, and we are taking back our narratives. Dominant culture narratives do not represent our lives; they elide, alter, and erase. We discuss the harms women experience when the dominant culture does not accurately consider, believe or hear women's voices. We will also celebrate the strengt...
|Support Michelle Obama
Michelle Robinson Obama has been subjected to some of the worst racist abuse any Black woman has ever been subjected to. This group will augment the work being done by RaceGenderDiscrimiNATION by supporting the First Lady and exposing all of the attacks that have been and well be made on her by the right-wing racists of the world.
|Support the Dream Defenders
The Dream Defenders are fighting for justice in Florida. Their goal: To enact Trayvon's Law in Florida, which would repeal the Stand Your Ground law, ban racial profiling, and end the school-to-prison pipeline. We are a Daily Kos community with a goal: To promote and support those objectives, online and off. Current project: Improving and promoting the Michael Brown Over-Policed Rights Act, a Daily Kos community crowd-sourced project.
|This is Reggae Music!
Now this is reggae music...welcome to the sound! This will be a celebration of reggae in its broadest interpretation: ska, rock-steady, reggae, dance-hall and reggaeton. We'll look at reggae personalities: singers and djs, producers and creators, emcees and promoters. We'll look at riddims and clashes, dances and dancers. We may occasionally showcase a new or emerging artist; but, for the most part, we'll be revisiting the golden age of this genre.
Discussion of nonpolitical criminal trials* and media coverage, including effects of the internet, Twitter and 24 hour news cycle on change of venue and jury pools. Books and films on criminal trials also. Sorry, but Nancy Grace is not invited. ;) *Not for "war crimes" or rox v. sux, please.
Are you sure you want to remove yourself from this group?
Accept or decline the invitation. A private message will be sent to the group with your response.
Recommended by JoanMar
- The five scrolls or megillot, The Song of Songs, Ruth, Esther, Ecclesiastes, and Lamentations, are read during the year on different holidays. Ruth, my subject here, is read on Shavuot . This is ...5 comments 12 Recs
- Archbishop Diarmuid Martin of Dublin says he voted no, but recognizes that this election represents a reality check for the Catholic Church. Ireland, one of the world's most predominantly ...76 comments 83 Recs
- Overpass Light Brigade, "Unlearn Racism" When the Overpass Light Brigade brought the message of " ...479 comments 203 Recs
- There are perhaps 4500 black rhinos left in the world. As of last Monday, there was one fewer.190 comments 98 Recs
- This story keeps getting ickier. From radaronline.com : After Josh Duggar admitted to his parents Jim Bob and Michelle that he had fondled multiple minor females in his home, his parents say they ...192 comments 285 Recs
- "The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax-- Of cabbages--and kings-- -Lewis Carrol, The Walrus and The Carpenter The time has come to talk ...179 comments 316 Recs
- A short diary, praising the kindness, dedication, compassion, and steadfast good spirit who is known here as Joy of Fishes. More may be forthcoming from others Kossacks. I'll merely remark that she ...24 comments 42 Recs
- 5:48pm, Note: I first posted that this fall happened at 8:45am. I was wrong. My neighbor and I figured out that I actually fell down at 8:00am. And then was out for 30 minutes. I know because she ...22 comments 7 Recs