Posting History for Laura Wnderer
|This Week in the War on Women: July 12, 2014
SCOTUS, Hobby Lobby, and the Push for “Not My Boss’s Business” Act Senators Mark Udall and Patty Murray’s bill, “The Protect Women’s Health from Corporate Interference Act,” clarifies ...
|Talking to a Hair Brush
Apparently only men watch late night talk shows and satirical programs. Out of Jon Stewart’s The Daily Show have come: - The Colbert Report by Stephen Colbert - Colbert is now moving on to ...
|This Week in the War on Women: Feburary 1
A WAY WITH WORDS (AND THOUGHTS) They WON! Rand Paul Version One of the first things that an English teacher tries to get her students to do when analyzing literature is to have her students ...
|This Week in the War on Women: December 28
This morning, while taking my dog for a leisurely half-hour walk, I listened to Weekend Edition on NPR. In that half hour, the only female voice I heard was the show’s host, Linda Wertheimer. ...
|Students of Today
Since school began in September, two of my students have had to leave to deal with their depression, and the parents of other students have emailed me about how stressed out their children are and ...
|This Week in the War on Women: October 26
WOMAN AS VESSEL DEPARTMENT “Case Explores Rights of Fetus Versus Mother” I get that the authorities really really really care about fetuses, because, God, but how come we women don’t get the ...
|This Week in the War on Women (9/14)
VIOLENCE OH, MY GOD Category There is no religious or cultural reason that can possibly support the rape and death of an eight-year old by her “husband’s” boy thing. There has got to be a ...
|This Week in the War on Women
WAY PAST INSANITY High School Virginity Check: Coming to a school near you? So it’s good that these girls can get an education, but my goodness, the disrespect shown to them is unimaginable. ...
|This Week in the War on Women
VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN San Diego Mayor Bob Filner. The creep who just keeps on creeping out. What kind of therapy do you get to learn not to use your position of authority to touch and thereby ...
|Chipping Away at Women’s Rights in Northern Virginia (News?)
At 7:40PM, I read an email that I received at 4:22PM. The email from Planned Parenthood begins: “The City of Fairfax is voting TONIGHT, July 9 on a proposed ordinance that would arbitrarily single ...
|My Ex-Husband Is Homeless
“Don’t hit me! Don’t hit me!” my ex-husband yelled, his face red, veins popping from his neck, spittle sticking to his lips. He stood inches from me in the hallway outside the master suite—...
|One Woman Roaring
Just a couple of months ago we women were on our way to ruling the world, what with the end of men and all. We were even arguing about what it means to have it all, because we were at the point in ...
|Romney: Out of Touch on Staycation
It’s not that the images of Mitt and his family on their jet skis and their boats bother me too much (especially since I can’t afford a vacation since I’m saving for one little apartment), but ...
|Envy-Free at 51?
I’m at the age when I should have stopped looking around to compare myself and my life to any one else’s, and certainly not to every one else’s. It’s time (51 is definitely after the ...
|Appreciating Teacher Appreciation Week
I know that it’s Teacher Appreciation Week because there’s free food at school. Last week, in preparation for the big event, we were feted with, as one colleague put it, mayonnaise-five-ways. ...
|The War on Women: Foot First
Sure, a woman’s ability to not get pregnant, stop a pregnancy, care for her body-mind-soul, feed her children, support herself, house her partner, tend to her parents is being undermined, ...
|The Education Philosophy of 0=50
“What does doing 0 work but getting a grade of 50 teach a child?” No, this is not a rhetorical question, neither is it a hypothetical one. It is a question that teachers across the country seem ...
|Being a Big Mouth with Friends
One of the perks of being a middle-aged woman (besides the physical alterations, faltering marriages, temperamental teens, and capacity-diminishing parents) is the ability for every woman you meet ...
|We All Wear Underwear
On Sunday Pastor Dennis Terry said that anyone who lives in the US who doesn’t believe that this is a Christian nation whose supreme leader is Jesus should “Get out!” I’m Jewish—I don’t ...
|Rape: The Scourge of Our Time
This week I was devastated by the way women are treated in Morocco. How could a law, as in something legal and condoned by society, allow a rapist, as in someone who forced himself on a woman, would ...
|When Silence Is Not Golden
My mother has, or should I say, had a new best friend. That was until she told me that she didn’t ask a question during a class until the break because she didn’t want her new friend to tell her ...
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by Laura Wnderer
- The American Federation of Teachers followed the National Education Association in passing a resolution sharply critical of Education Secretary Arne Duncan over the weekend. While the NEA ...29 comments 49 Recs
- I didn't really plan on writing a diary today. I am supposed to be working. The first notice I got that the buffer zone legislation had been overturned was from Planned Parenthood Action Fund. I ...282 comments 569 Recs
- In the following diary, I've attempted to bare my soul, in a cathartic attempt to share what it is to be a veteran in america. This is my own experience. There are points in this diary that are ...91 comments 124 Recs
- Scientists have found that mercury is "wafting" out of oil sands operations in NE Alberta. Oilsands development in northern Alberta, Canada. CREDIT: Shutterstock According to Canada.com ...100 comments 289 Recs
- Perhaps the math is a little bit simplified, but it's quite astonishing to hear a quote like this from anybody who would really have a media spotlight. It's even more astounding when you hear who ...54 comments 300 Recs
- Six of 31 guns discovered by TSA agents at airports around the country last week. You'd think Christmas week would be a slow week for GunFAIL incidents. But all that actually slowed down was the ...166 comments 190 Recs
- I was 11 years old, and I'll never forget how that moment felt. I was watching "Rocky III." Mickey—Rocky's trainer and mentor—had just died after telling his protege: "I love ya, kid, I love ...117 comments 99 Recs
- This will be short, about 3:16 short. Bill Moyers has called it. Please watch this video.181 comments 348 Recs
- "Let's say you weren't the kind of person you are... maybe you don't make friends that easily. Not that there's anything wrong with you: you're just shy. And you don't have a family or maybe they're ...94 comments 379 Recs
- A year ago today, about four hours ago, I walked into the bedroom to find that Jim Nelson, my husband and partner of 41 years and a few months, was dead. I gave the Kos community the news in a ...84 comments 209 Recs
Laura Wnderer's Tags
- No current results.
Laura Wnderer's Blogroll
- No current results.