Posting History for Mark J Stern
|The Impression-Proof Obama
This weekend, Saturday Night Live premiered Jay Pharaoh as President Barack Obama, a long-anticipated switch that will mercifully allow Fred Armison to retire his blackface makeup. The impersonation ...
|Mark J Stern||09/17/2012||92||51||-||1145|
|John Roberts's Rational Basis
When the news broke that John Roberts had provided the key fifth vote to uphold most of the Affordable Care Act, the reaction across the political spectrum was shock, tinctured with either gloating (...
|Mark J Stern||07/05/2012||27||64||-||523|
|What's the Matter with the South?
On October 6th, 1971, John A. Wilkinson and Lorraine Mary Turner got married. The event is mostly forgotten today, as Wilkinson and Turner were two normal people who, by all accounts, went on to ...
|Mark J Stern||05/09/2012||19||7||-||195|
|Marriage Equality and the Demise of Originalism
In his very first independent dissent on the Supreme Court, Justice Hugo Black--still fresh from the Senate and considered an intellectual lightweight by his colleagues--issued a peculiar opinion in ...
|Mark J Stern||02/29/2012||26||35||4||426|
|We Are Troy Davis
By this point, almost everyone knows the story of Troy Davis, who was executed last night after a twenty-two year legal battle over a case built on scant evidence and glaring questions. Everyone has,
|Mark J Stern||09/22/2011||51||91||3||372|
|The GOP's War On Toddlers
The GOP has a long list of minority groups which it has attempted to either marginalize or destroy outright: gays, blacks, women, Latinos, transsexuals, Muslims, poor people, immigrants, union ...
|Mark J Stern||05/10/2011||8||7||1||76|
|The Bloodlust Hangover
Are we done talking about Osama yet? No? Okay, I can understand that. This is a big moment in American history, and it’s pretty much the only absolute, black-and-white victory we’re going to ...
|Mark J Stern||05/03/2011||3||3||1||80|
|Pastor Terry Jones: In Defense of a Monster
Terry Jones, the lunatic cult leader from Gainesville, Florida who has recently begun a crusade to burn the Quran in public, is a disgusting man. His actions are reprehensible, ignorant, and hate-...
|Mark J Stern||04/26/2011||69||8||1||143|
|The Perks of Anarchy
Before I dive into bad and/or strange news, we should all take a moment to reflect on a basic victory this week: we have a government! Perhaps celebrating our continued governance is setting a low ...
|Mark J Stern||04/13/2011||5||5||1||57|
|Dark Horse or Lame Pony?
It’s getting to be that time when the opposition party swarms around a cluster of viable candidates for president, vigorously exploring the issues of the day and settling on a figure who can unite ...
|Mark J Stern||04/06/2011||36||24||-||300|
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by Mark J Stern
- Redistricting in Ohio was conducted entirely by Republicans, who control both chambers of the legislature and the governorship. They drew a map intended to produce 12 Republicans to only 4 ...10 comments 4 Recs
- We're all familiar with the various misguided decisions of the Bush Administration. I'm personally of the position that the root causes generally lay in ignorance and recklessness, as opposed to ...5 comments 5 Recs
- Now that Mitt is back on top, what could he do to clear the path to the convention? Why not buy off his pesky primary challengers with promises of future jobs in a Romney Presidency? Here’s what ...3 comments 1 Recs
- Most media headlines this morning seemed to be all about Mitt and how he "won" Michigan, but this simplistic tale skipped over some key facts. One concern is, " Where does the delegate count stand? "12 comments 4 Recs
- So yesterday I shared a little about coming out. Today I'd like to share my story for those who are interested in such things. I think I knew I was not like my brothers very early on. Even as a 5 ...35 comments 57 Recs
- As radical Republicans in the House have provoked an imminent government shutdown, the conventional wisdom is that it's a political mistake, because Bill Clinton easily won re-election after an ...1 comments 1 Recs
- This will be short cause it's getting late. Caught this on Facebook. Bernie Sanders on the floor of the Senate talking about the budget and the Republicans plans to balance it on the backs for the ...8 comments 21 Recs
Mark J Stern's Tags
- No current results.
Mark J Stern's Blogroll
- No current results.