Posting History for Matthew D Jones
|Elizabeth Drew on the Erosion of Democracy
In a piece in The New York Review of Books called "Big Dangers in the Next Election," Elizabeth Drew has written an extremely thoughtful article ...
|Matthew D Jones||05/03/2015||4||10||1||-|
|Nicholas Kristof: Where's the Empathy?
Nicholas Kristof wrote a great piece in yesterday's New York Times about the decline and early death of a high school buddy who hurt his back, lost his job, and ended up on disability. Kristof goes ...
|Matthew D Jones||01/25/2015||7||21||-||-|
|A Grey Labor Day
Where I live, in the Northeast, it’s overcast and grey, which, I think, is a good metaphor for the depth of political and social dysfunction on display this Labor Day. Consider just the following,
|Matthew D Jones||09/02/2013||1||1||-||-|
An article in Friday's New York Times describes how, in the states which refuse Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act, the poorest of the poor will receive no new help to obtain health ...
|Matthew D Jones||05/26/2013||15||29||-||-|
|Michael Harrington's Revenge?
America's best known 20th Century democratic socialist, Michael Harrington , the author of The Other America , spent the last part of his life trying to push the Democratic Party in the direction of ...
|Matthew D Jones||11/20/2012||3||9||-||-|
|FiveThirtyEight: Ryan "Bounce" Modest to Say the Least
In the measured language of the MSM, FiveThirtyEight says the Ryan polling "bounce" has about as much buoyancy as a lead balloon: But if you simply average all the data that post-dates the ...
|Matthew D Jones||08/15/2012||29||15||1||383|
|Obama may be a one term President
I just read this piece by Eliot Spitzer on Slate and it hit me that, for good or ill, Obama may well be a one term President. Spitzer points out ...
|Matthew D Jones||07/25/2011||73||8||-||278|
|Joan Walsh: Arianna Huffington v. Frederick Douglass; Obama, the Left and "Compromise"
Very thoughtful piece by Joan Walsh at Salon on the state ...
|Matthew D Jones||07/19/2011||9||2||-||96|
|Obama made the Republicans sit at the kids table
according to David S. Bernstein at the Boston Phoenix: The effect [of the successful operation ...
|Matthew D Jones||05/05/2011||4||10||1||176|
|Two Trains and a Moment of Redemption (In Pictures)
Michael Harrington, the late author of The Other America , wrote that one of his greatest sorrows was riding on the train that brought Robert Kennedy's body back to Washington and seeing the ...
|Matthew D Jones||01/20/2009||5||7||1||24|
|Was Bush Progressives' Manchurian Candidate?
While I endure the last days of the Bush Administration, watching a final acting-out of the President’s “daddy issues” as he attempts to escape the shadow of his war-hero father in ...
|Matthew D Jones||12/14/2008||29||3||-||-|
|Obama v. McCain: A Stark Choice with a Deep History
It’s hardly news to say that this election presents a stark contrast in terms of policy choices, but it may be less obvious how the choice we face this November is a watershed between two ...
|Matthew D Jones||09/14/2008||4||2||-||-|
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by Matthew D Jones
- As we enter another election cycle, one dominant theme is the idea that Republican Candidates are beholden to Christians. In several reports I've heard or read this idea is coupled with the ...59 comments 57 Recs
- Things change. But for right now Jeb really looks like a loser. Weak, indecisive, buffeted by outside forces rather than in control.241 comments 60 Recs
- A new poll from Associated Press-GfK shows just how much self-inflicted damage the highly politicized U.S. Supreme Court has sustained. When asked whether the ...45 comments 55 Recs
- You'll have to excuse me. I'm skipping every pundit who chose to spend their column inches this Sunday talking about "Deflategate." Because... 1) there's already commentary on the sports page, and 2)103 comments 82 Recs
- Let the smear tactics begin! Hopefully it will show the American people just what kind of scum conservatives and the GOP really are. Bernie Sanders, an independent and social democrat in the US ...121 comments 52 Recs
- While I've been hesitant to join in some of the more heated conversations about these topics of late, I have read with interest a few diaries and comment threads related to them. Forgive me for ...412 comments 157 Recs
- For those of you that hadn't yet heard, on 22 May 2015 - less than 3 weeks from today - a public referendum will be held to amend the constitution of the Republic of Ireland to recognize same-sex ...17 comments 24 Recs
- On Easter Monday morning, April 24, 1916, hundreds of men and women arrived at Liberty Hall, Dublin, many by bicycle, ready to fight for their independence from England. They came from the Irish ...18 comments 39 Recs
- Colors changed so the map can be seen by all. Original is below the fold. Click ...325 comments 171 Recs
- I keep a close watch on this heart of mine I keep my eyes wide open all the time I keep the ends out for the tie that binds Because you're mine, I walk the line I Walk the Line , by Johnny Cash ...34 comments 60 Recs
Matthew D Jones's Tags
- No current results.
Matthew D Jones's Blogroll
- No current results.