Below you'll find recent contributions related to Quite Contrary's followed authors, tags, and groups.
|Race, Class and Neglect
is the title of this column by Paul Krugman in today's New York Times . It starts with the notion that we still have a problem with race, as exemplified by what happened with Freddie Gray and the ...
|A brief but powerful video from Jeremy Scahill
I thank MsSpentyouth for the Facebook post that made me aware of it. As far as i could tell it had not yet been shared here. Watch and then respond in the comments. Follow this link to the ...
|Another update on Felicity
Our now three-legged cat came home just before Noon yesterday. We have her in a downstairs room. After several times when she hid behind bookcases where we could not reach her, I emptied the ...
|"Freddie Gray Never Had a Chance"
| Must-read from Ta-Nehisi Coates on Baltimore
When nonviolence is preached as an attempt to evade the repercussions of political brutality, it betrays itself. When nonviolence begins halfway through the war with the aggressor calling time out, ...
|Some context to recent events in Baltimore
If you want some context to the recent events in Baltimore, read the piece linked below. Let me note as one who has taught just outside Baltimore for the past two years (first in Glen Burnie and ...
|an update on Felicity
Yesterday, in this posting , I explained about our youngest (at 12 years 7 months) rescued cat, her cancer, and her forthcoming leg amputation because of a tumor that encircled the leg. She had to ...
|Sometimes what matters can change in an instant
and all your previously decided priorities get tossed out. Earlier this month my wife discovered a growth on the right rear leg of one of our three remaining rescued cats, Felicity, the shyest. She ...
|A sports-team executive who gets it right
is John Angelos, COO of the Baltimore Orioles, outside whose stadium a protest about the killing of Freddie Gray got out of hand. The words came about as part of a twitter exchange after a comment ...
|‘Lynch Mob’: Misuse of Language
is the title of this powerful New York Times column by Charles M. Blow . He is reacting in particular to the inflammatory statement by the head of the Baltimore Police Union to the demonstrations ...
Recommended by Quite Contrary
- First of all, thank you to all who supported me with advice in the diary. Not every bit was germane to my situation, but the support was very comforting. Quick back-story: Kidlet noticed a feral ...138 comments 146 Recs
- This past week, the Republican Party asked Americans to join in the celebration marking the opening of the George W. Bush Presidential Library. In addition to offering "Thanks W" stickers (...64 comments 169 Recs
- 29 comments 8 Recs
- It's tragic enough that maybe three dozen were killed because of the gross negligence of the owners of West Fertilizer Co in West, Texas. But compounding the carnage, it seems as if half the town ...409 comments 411 Recs
- By now most of you have probably heard that there was another rampage on a college campus in Texas today. Twelve people were rushed to area hospitals after an attack on the campus of Lone Star ...191 comments 177 Recs
- I grew up in a lower middle class Republican family. We had Protestant relatives, lapsed Catholic relatives, rich relatives, even (shame of shame) a divorced relative, but never a Democrat that I ...130 comments 376 Recs
- This will be a quickie AND a post-and-run because it's 4:57 AM and SuperShuttle is arriving at 5:35 AM because I'm flying up to the Bay Area this morning, but I had to share this article from the ...159 comments 213 Recs
- Gary Bauer, while running for president in 2000. A few weeks ago I put ...189 comments 269 Recs
- If Spring is here, can Easter be far behind? Or is it the other way around? Either way, the two are as entwined as roses and Valentine’s Day, as Halloween and pumpkins, as Winter and Christmas. ...236 comments 326 Recs
- An 'alleged' rape. Is that something just short of a 'legitimate' rape, Mr. Mayo? Referring to Steubenville's rape victim, 'Jane Doe', ...42 comments 119 Recs
Quite Contrary's Tags
- No current results.
Quite Contrary's Blogroll
- No current results.