I think we're all familiar with the depressingly effective climate change denial propaganda campaign being waged by Big Oil, Big Coal, and their numerous corporate friends. This morning my wife and I were "treated" to a custom-crafted form of this on our local television news station.
Like many recovering former Roman Catholics, I have been absolutely appalled by the unending tales of sexual abuse of children by priests. Just as appalling have been the endless examples of supervising Bishops quietly transfering priest/rapists to another unsuspecting Parish, full of unsuspecting children, to "protect the reputation of the Church".
Apologists for the Church and its current Pope have argued that "he gets it"; that Benedict has moved forcefully to apologize to victims and to confront this vile rot at the heart of the Church.
If only. Benedict's latest official actions demonstrate where his true loyalties lie. Hint: not with the victims of these despicable crimes.
I understand the need to pay for the oodles of bandwidth we all use to hang out here. But the Grayson ad is essentially a virus. Stop that.
As if the world didn't have enough trouble already. The lunatics in charge of North Korea have been ratcheting up the rhetoric over the last few days, threatening "unprecedented" nuclear strikes on South Korea and the U.S. after speculation was published that the regime was tottering.
Now a South Korean naval vessel is reported to have sunk off the coast of an island not far from the border.
From the department of "you just can't make this shit up", the giant Moody's credit rating firm has issued a "warning" about the credit-worthiness of the governments of the United States, Germany, and other European nations. The Masters of the Universe™ at Moody's warn that these countries may still be Aaa rated, but the distance to a lower rating has been "substantially reduced".
Does this make anyone else's head feel like it's going to explode, or is it just me?
The last year has been really tough as a primary care doctor. More of my patients are losing their health insurance every week. Some hard-pressed employers have dropped all coverage; others have pushed so much of the insurance premium cost increases onto the workers that the workers have to drop their own coverage to pay the rent and utility bills.
But this past week has been the worst. It's no longer just the people being forced to drop their medical coverage, or those being dropped by their employers. Now increasingly it's the folks who supposedly have "good" coverage who are in tears.
Last summer I posted a diary about my daughter's partner, who suffered a health catastrophe while uninsured, because it sadly illuminated everything that's wrong with our health care 'system'. This healthy young man started having seizures out of the blue, suffered acute renal failure requiring dialysis due to non-stop seizures, and was found to have a brain tumor. Every avenue toward obtaining some kind of health insurance, either Medicaid or commercial, was blocked by deliberately constructed obstacles in his conservative Southern state. Rep. Grayson's right; the Republican health care plan? Get sick—hope you die quickly and cheaply.
The dust has settled since then, and in my family we have much to be thankful for...but America's health care "system" still sucks. Follow me for an update if you're interested.
the Vatican is working feverishly to undermine reproductive choice around the world, thereby insuring ever larger starving multitudes. The Pope rails against worldwide hunger, yet his actions guarantee more of it.
What's wrong with this picture?
As reported in today's NY Times, the October 15th deadline is looming for Americans who have used offshore accounts to conceal income from the IRS. The clock is ticking on relative leniency in penalties and possible criminal prosecution. All that pressure on UBS to cough up the names of tax cheats is bearing fruit; the wealthy are starting to panic.
My lovely and brilliant wife pointed this out to me this morning after watching video of President Obama's address on health care reform. She heard the shouted "you lie!" from the Republican "peanut gallery" without knowing anything else about the incident. We don't watch a lot of network news because it's so abysmally bad, but it was worth sitting through the usual "meat-puppet misinterpretation" for this.
Know what my wife said?
Just a quick note; NY Times is reporting here that Charlie "don't raise taxes on us rich people!" Gibson is being replaced by...wait for it...
Diane Sawyer. Blond Ambition herself. The ultimate personification of vapid, celebrity-driven faux-journalism.
Okay, not quite. But yesterday I received a fax from Dr. Price's Congressional office, asking me as a physician to sign on as a "consultant" to the "Physician's Council for Responsible Reform". Because of my "invaluable experience", I've been invited to provide "input" to such luminaries as John Boehner and Eric Cantor.
Can you say astroturf?
Recommended by Ralphdog
- Musings on the evil “Flat Tax” – Enemy of Economic Justice in America No matter how you look at is the “Flat Tax” fails the 99%. The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities' Jared ...4 comments 9 Recs
- Is the political establishment right that Sanders doesn't have a chance? There have been myriad articles written about the lack of attention given to Sen. Sanders campaign for president. A quick ...18 comments 24 Recs
- Actor, director, husband, father and activist, Mark Ruffalo has been outspoken on many social issues, including but not limited to; climate change, clean energy, water preservation, and women's ...220 comments 365 Recs
- It appears First Lady Michelle Obama acknowledging ...78 comments 116 Recs
- The All-Nations Native American Veterans Memorial in Jefferson, Oregon [This is an edited and updated reprise of an essay first written for Memorial Day in 2010.] My ...56 comments 246 Recs
- Memorial Day was a tradition inaugurated after the American Civil War by (now) freed black Americans. Black America's history is American history, even while too many of those who are invested in ...347 comments 228 Recs
- Word out of Iraq from yesterday is quite different the what I see in the morning war coverage out of MSM/corporate media. -- Over in Iraq the coalition has set up two large-scale victories in the ...120 comments 102 Recs
- How bad is modern American Journalism? It's so bad that the burning question of the day on the intertubes and elsewhere revolves around whether or not they are even necessary in order for a ...41 comments 39 Recs
- Hello again painting fans.8 comments 13 Recs
- Need to know what volumes were on Bin Ladin's bookshelf? Curious if his reading tastes were close to yours? Ever consider if what you read makes you who you are, or is who you are dictated by what ...66 comments 21 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.