Posting History for SethRightmer
|Operation Disrespectful Nod
The misogynistic, right wing reactionary bigots of #GamerGate are still at it. And this time, they've taken a page from our progressive playbook. The Washington Post reports that the lynch mob has ...
|White Male Oppression
I'd like to take a moment to look at the concept of oppression, and specifically white male oppression. In my view, all oppression is a disease or a parasite. It may appear to benefit its host, but ...
|Home Sous Vide
Saturday, I went to put the leftover roast chicken bones into the stock bone bag in the freezer and found it full. Time to make stock! Pulling out one of the bones, a bit of seven bone chuck, I ...
|What would you like from a Dem landslide?
I know we aren't supposed to count chickens before they are hatched but I have not felt this giddily optimistic about an election in a while, and from everything I'm sensing, I'm not alone. So I ...
|George Zimmerman, Minority
Robert Zimmerman, George's father, released his response to the Orlando Sentinel: “George is a Spanish-speaking minority with many black family members and friends. He would be the last to ...
|Double Down Outside the Bus
At the end of the day, we all use cliches. We can try to think outside the box, but when you go off the beaten path, you could get thrown under a bus. So I say, double down on our use of tired ...
|The Scariest thing in the World
Do you know what scares politicians, captains of industry and other authoritarians the most? It is not some rival usurping their power. No, the thing that scares them the most is people sitting down ...
|Yes, you are a racist. But that's okay!
Allow my friends from Avenue Q to break it down for you:
|Interrupting Oppression: Give Them a Way Out
Or, The Art of the Graceful Exit. Poking around this website and reading comments, I have seen any number of people make comments or even diaries that are offensive or derogatory to some group of ...
|Why I'll be voting for Obama
I'm damn far left. I feel that Obama has been letting us lefties down. But I'll be voting for him. Why is that? Is it because the alternatives are worse? While that's true, it isn't really the reason.
|Small Scale Socialism
Many people equate socialism with big government, but it is actually something you can do locally, with other like minded individuals. Credit unions, cooperatives, communes and co-housing groups ...
|Am I still a radical?
I linked to the Wikipedia page on Saul Alinsky in a comment earlier, and it got me thinking. I first read Alinsky's Rules for Radicals in 1993 or '94, I think. I was a radical at the time, ...
|Keeping thieves out of the marketplace
Whenever I hear about "deregulation" I marvel at that brilliant piece of propaganda. Deregulation. What a brilliant piece of doublespeak. Because many people feel that regulations are arbitrary, ...
|Have you ever had a cold, Mr. President?
Not a flu. Those are nasty. Just a head cold, and you feel under the weather but you don't know whether to go to work or stay home? So you stay home but end up feeling so guilty you do household ...
|Selling the brand
Okay, so I'm a newbie here and I don't work in marketing so take these ideas with a grain of salt. But as a newcomer to posting at DailyKos, I have an outsider's perspective and not a lot invested ...
|Why I'm a Socialist
I am an unabashed socialist. Here is what I mean by a socialist, and why I think everyone should support the political philosophy of socialism, not out of any feelings of social justice you may or ...
|Authoritarianism and Bullying
What is authoritarianism? It is the belief that humans are basically bad, and they need to be domesticated or tamed in order to be good. To be tamed, an animal needs to have its spirit broken. The ...
|We need to get serious about these right wing trolls
Just talking about them isn't enough. Here are some of ideas for dealing with them, that historically have worked very well.
|More and better democrats
If we can not even discuss what makes a democrat like the president better or worse without lobbing vicious personal attacks in all directions, we have no hope of ever electing better democrats. And ...
Hello, Cruel World. Reading the spate of "Goodbye, Cruel World" diaries we've seen here of late has inspired me to come out of the lurking cupboard with this, my first diary on Daily Kos. First, ...
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by SethRightmer
- ISIS burned Muadh al Kasasbeh, a captured Jordian fighter pilot, to death . They doused him with an accelerant. His captors set him on fire. Muadh al Kasasbeh desperately tried to put out the ...1195 comments 450 Recs
- I donât remember the same outrage and blaming of politicians and protesters back in June when two âPatriotsâ left the Bundy Battlefield and ambushed and killed two Las Vegas police ...48 comments 234 Recs
- 10 hours of harassment An actor who recorded 10 hours of catcalls and remarks from passersby in New York City has received rape threats in response to a video detailing the harassment, the advocacy ...278 comments 189 Recs
- The October Revolution that brought the Bolsheviks to power in Russia occurred on October 25 (old style), 1917. As it happens I have recently finished reading a book by Orlando Figes, A People's ...16 comments 30 Recs
- A diary earlier dealt with this in part The Roman Empire: Gentle folks, never hurt anyone. The Byzantine Empire: Kept Up the Roman tradition of non conquest and peace. The Holy Roman Empire: Such ...72 comments 87 Recs
- Were that within the scope of my capabilities, that is. I would swan dive into an active volcano, I would bathe in Ebola, I would defy despots, stare into the sun, eat glass and throw myself onto ...188 comments 285 Recs
- What will come after capitalism? When the Roman Empire collapsed in the west in the 5th century after Christ (going by Dionysius Exiguus's calendar ), very little in the way of imagination was ...101 comments 46 Recs
- There have been some recent claims here at DKos that the voices of white, male, middle-class, healthy, Christian, heterosexuals are being stifled at the expense of black, Latino, Native American, ...413 comments 204 Recs
- My last essay "Dear White Folks, Please Stop Being So 'Surprised' When White Cops Shoot Unarmed Black People" has received quite a bit of attention from the readers of the Daily Kos. During the ...458 comments 511 Recs
- A recent poll shows that Hillary Clinton now has a 43% approval rating vrs. a 41% disapproval rating, This is just one poll, so people should not provide too much credence to it, but it is a data ...587 comments 276 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.