Posting History for SouthernLeveller
|An Apology to Transgendered Persons
In a diary a few days ago "We Must Fight for LGBTQ Rights AND Religious Liberty," I did not proofread a comment I made. I meant to call laws that force transgendered persons to use the bathrooms of ...
|Candidates for a Liberal POTUS Dream Cabinet: Secretary of State
Proposition: To move the USA in a more progressive direction will take not only "more and better" Democrats elected to every level of government, not only independent social movements harnassing ...
|We Can and MUST Fight for LGBTQ folk AND Religious Liberty
When IN passed its warped version of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act which, unlike the federal RFRA and most state level RFRAs, was designed to target LGBTQ people (vulnerable because IN, like ...
|The Strange Career of RFRA
Today, in his ridiculous interview with George Stephanopoulos, Gov. Pence (R-Teabag) of Indiana tried to claim that the new IN "Religious Freedom Restoration Act" was not about discrimination ...
|Too Many DKos Folks are Overconfident
Okay, I've been around long enough to know that this brief diary is likely to get me labelled a "concern troll." But I can't help it. I think far too many here are underestimating the GOP clown car.
|Adventures in Green Homeownership
My family has always tried to be eco-friendly. When we were renters, there was only so much we could do. We could put a brick in the toilets, but not replace them with low-flow toilets. Thanks to ...
|On Raising Anti-Racist Children in a Racist Society
I fully support the expulsion of the ringleaders of Sigma Alpha Epsilon "bus of bigotry" at Oklahoma University. I do not agree with those who say that this is too harsh a punishment. However, some ...
|In Praise of Connected Social Critics
In Plato's Republic , Socrates tells the famous Allegory of the Cave in which enlightenment/knowledge of the truth is found by removal from society--leaving the cave. This begins a tradition in ...
|My Liberal Principles
I've been trying to find a better way to tell friends, relatives, strangers, etc. why I am a liberal (U.S. definition). I thought it would be better if I could boil things down to a few clearly ...
|Kristallnacht at 75: A Warning for Our Day?
Today is the 75th anniversary of Kristallnacht or "Night of Broken Glass." Throughout Germany in the early, pre-WWII, days of the Nazi era, on this night, Brownshirt thugs attacked Jews and ...
|Revolutionary Patience: Necessary Virtue for Our Time
In the 1980s, the German feminist liberation theologian, Dorothee Soelle, coined the term "revolutionary patience" to describe an attitude, a mindset, a complex virtue that I think is necessary for ...
|Breaking: Marriage Equality Advances in HI
Really brief. Not a proper diary. According to The Huffington Post marriage equality has passed out of state senate committee after 10 hours of debate. From here it goes to the full senate. Gov. ...
|Kentucky as a Purple State
I moved here in 1986 and made this my adopted state. I often read, including here at Daily Kos, that Kentucky is a "Red" (or Republican-dominated) state. "Wow. Isn't it amazing that Alison ...
|Why I Am a Democrat
Hi, Everyone: I have lurked on this site since 2004, but I deliberately did not create an account because I already published a (now defunct) political blog (Kentucky Fried Politics) and a blog, ...
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by SouthernLeveller
- During the 2000 Republican presidential primaries, Arizona Senator John McCain proclaimed Jerry Falwell an "agent of intolerance." But after losing the nomination to George W. Bush, ...37 comments 38 Recs
- Alberta Liberal Party Leader David Swann Cross-posted from Daveberta.ca Now that the great orange chinook has finally put an ...11 comments 16 Recs
- A New York Times story ...78 comments 47 Recs
- Even as GOP presidential candidates beat the drum of "border security first" and continually call Obama's immigration actions "executive amnesty," a new AP-GfK poll finds that many Republican ...15 comments 14 Recs
- The reasons to be skeptical of Hillary Clinton are legion, from her husband's record in the '90s, to her corporate ties (including being on the board of Walmart), to ...643 comments 171 Recs
- In American politics, few people admit mistakes. They are made—and made in excess—but hearing a ...172 comments 92 Recs
- How many times have you heard people complain that there is no difference between the Democrats and Republicans? They complain that it really doesn't matter who is elected, things never change. �13 comments 8 Recs
- Deputy Prime Minister and Liberal Democratic Party leader Nick Clegg is in real danger of losing his ...48 comments 39 Recs
- This from the Anchorage Daily News: Ethan Berkowitz surged to a decisive win over opponent Amy Demboski in the Anchorage mayoral runoff election Tuesday night. With 98 percent of the vote counted,113 comments 277 Recs
- Last week in Texas, a Republican lawmaker proposed an amendment so outrageous, that even some of his own GOP colleagues were repulsed. ...553 comments 368 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.