Posting History for ThePedro
|CO-Sen: Let's get out the vote!
Right now Nate Silver's projections have the Colorado Senate race between Michael Bennet as the closest in the nation (within half of a percent). No matter whether you think of him as a true liberal ...
|Kossack in Quito: Some thoughts on the current Ecuador situation
I'm a US student who's been living and studying in Quito for the past month and thought I would offer my two cents on the current situation in Ecuador. First, I would like to say that most of the US ...
|Race Baiting in the Florida Primary.
Tonight I stumbled across a politico article telling me that: Florida Democratic Senate candidate Jeff Greene ...
|The Good Soldier: A Belated Story for Memorial Day
With oil pouring into the Gulf of Mexico at an unprecedented rate and vessels carrying humanitarian aid being attacked, there's not a whole lot of good news going around. I wanted to share this ...
|Is a Man's Life Worth $6.00?
I've been in Chicago for the past week or so and in my time here I have stopped to talk to some of the homeless people who are so often ignored. I don't know that I would do this if I hadn't spent ...
|Breaking: Arizona Bans Taco Bell, Other "Ethnic" Restaurants
Tomorrow Arizona Governor Jan Brewer is slated to sign another in a string of laws to get the state’s large immigrant population under control. The law states that “no restaurant ...
|Immigration Reform MUST Protect Families
Comprehensive immigration reform that does not keep families together is not comprehensive immigration reform. I really don’t care about “securing America’s border” or some ...
|Why We Need Immigration Reform NOW: Cynthia's Story
Every Friday morning I go to volunteer at a local day shelter for homeless families. I help make lunch, eat with the families, then play with the kids. This friday, I sat down to eat with a woman ...
|Cap-and-Dividend is the Way Forward on Climate Change.
Recently Senators Maria Cantwell (D-WA) and Susan Collins (R-ME)introduced the CLEAR Act to the US Senate as an alternative to both the Waxman-Markey cap-and-trade bill in the House and the Lieberman-
|Hey Joe Lieberman...F*ck You
After reading this article in which Leiberman says: "I can't see a ...
|Urgent: Neo-Nazi Rally in Minnesota Tomorrow, Let's Fight Back
I learned last night that there will be a Neo-Nazi rally tomorrow protesting a workshop on white privilege and anti-racism. The Nazis have claimed that the white participants are "traitors to white ...
|1 minute, 27 seconds.
That's how long it took me to call my congresswoman Betsy Markey about healthcare when I finally decided to do get off my ass. Is that really so hard? I don't know why I put it off for so long ...
|Netanyahu's Offer a Bad Idea
Reading the BBC news online this morning, I came across an offer for peace laid out by Benjamin Netanyahu. Here are some of the ...
|In Defense of Christianity: Whoever Killed George Tiller is a FANATIC
I feel like too often Christians get a bad rap from the left, much the same way that every other religion under the sun gets a bad rap from the right. This is not to say that there isn't a ...
|Giving Homelessness a Face
Recently, I had the opportunity to volunteer at an event called Project Homeless Connect. This takes place twice annually in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where around 100 different homelessness service ...
|Greetings my "Socialist" Brethren.
As I was taking my daily look at Politico scanning for some juicy article to read, I stumbled across a headline that made me think I was reading The Onion. Upon closer examination, it appears to be ...
|The Silent Majority: A call to action
Ok, to be fair, we're far from silent. We came out to the polls in record numbers to support Obama. Well over a million of us came out to support his inauguration. But we've been becoming a bit ...
|How to be an Effective LGBTQ Ally
Several weeks ago I went to the Midwest Bisexual Lesbian Gay Transgender Ally College Conference (MBLGTACC) in Bloomington, Indiana and attended a really excellent workshop on what makes someone an ...
|How to talk to an Islamophobe
The other day I watched a film called "Reel Bad Arabs" about the narrative that our entertainment media (particularly Hollywood) has created around Arabs and Muslims. This resonated with me strongly ...
The internet is a great tool for political discourse. Also, it has developed to be continually more democratic and open (think wikipedia and firefox). Considering these two things, I see potential ...
|Two-State Solution Will Fail in Palestine/Israel
Of late, I have been putting a lot of thought into sustainable peace in the Middle East. The current popular wisdom is that two independent states of Israel and Palestine should be carved out of the ...
|Citizen's Power: Using the net-roots
The only really have two criticisms of Obama's new "Citizen's Briefing" tool. One is that there's no way to make sure Obama listens. He could dismiss many of the ideas as handily as he did the ...
|Washington's New Lobbyists
President Elect Barack Obama changed the way that campaigns are run in America. He created a grassroots movement through the power of the internet. Now, it appears that he may bring the same ...
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by ThePedro
- If a child cries in the flood plains and nobody listens, does it make a sound?67 comments 269 Recs
- I've gone green. It's not that I didn't want to earlier, but it took an empty bank account and a crapped out transmission to get me on the stick. Taking the bus has gone from a challenge to an ...24 comments 18 Recs
- So, ladies, you say you want a raise? How should you go about getting it? First, you have to figure out how to compete with the guy in the next cubicle. After all, he went to a school almost as ...923 comments 838 Recs
- This story just came across my Twitter feed: http://manhattan.ny1.com/content/top_stories/124338/police--cab-driver-stabbed-by-passenger-who-asked--are-you-muslim There won't be much substance to ...878 comments 605 Recs
- I am just an unknown at dKos. An occasional blogger with a UID over 150K. While I’ve probably made no difference in your lives, many of you have impacted me. I just wanted to take a moment ...111 comments 113 Recs
- _This is the second part of a two-part series on racism on the right and left of the United States’ political/ideological spectrum. Part one, which can be found at the link just below the jump,1316 comments 491 Recs
- I am selling a set of five really lovely paintings, cheap. These would work nice if you have a decorating scheme of yellows, oranges, and dark reds. If you have something that matches the redhead ...73 comments 21 Recs
- A life spent in public service should not go unacknowledged and unappreciated.391 comments 530 Recs
- I have been beating the drum here for years now (as have many others) to get people on this site involved in making phonebanking calls, especially for special elections. It's a pretty thankless job,306 comments 525 Recs
- Just read this from an email alert, didn't see it diaried yet. Details over the fold ... And BTW - diary police, yes this is not exactly a fleshed out diary full of analysis and opinions regarding ...290 comments 28 Recs
- No current results.