Posting History for Vox Libertas
|Text and Subtext
Today we celebrate not the 234th anniversary of the birth of this nation, of our declaration of independence—that was two days ago on July the 2nd, the date that the Continental Congress ...
|Of Persons, Corporations, Money and Speech
These are the times that try men's souls. On the one hand we have the Supreme Court of the United States empowering corporations at a time when they already come far too close to owning our ...
|Get FISA Right's Open Letter to President Obama
The December 31 deadline for reauthorizing three key clauses of the Patriot Act — and the possibility of introducing reforms in the process — is fast approaching. In response, Get FISA ...
|Join us live blogging the USA PATRIOT Act markup
This morning beginning at 10 a.m. Eastern, the Senate Judiciary Committee will be marking up S.1692, USA PATRIOT Act Sunset Extension Act of 2009 (spnsors: Leahy, Feinstein, Cardin, ...
|Fix the USA PATRIOT Act
In the last couple of weeks very important things have been going on in the realm of Civil Liberties, and our concern for issues like Health Care, Iran, Afghanistan and the Chicago bid for the ...
|Re: Jim, I need your voice on health care--Sorry, sir
Mr. President, It is with great sadness and regret that I must decline your emailed request. I do this with intimate and personal knowledge of how important this legislation is. I am a ...
|Republicans, Republicanism and the Republic
The news last week was that only 20-30% of Americans are willing to identify themselves as "Republicans". When John Dvorak's blog polled its users as to their politics and party affiliation and ...
|What does it mean to "get FISA right"?
Senator Feingold has said that he’s going to give the Administration “a few more weeks” ...
|On Sex and Evolution and Politics
And now for something completely different... Usually I write in my Vox Libertas diaries about politics, about the Rule of Law, the Constitution, the behavior of our elected leaders and the dangers ...
|Commander in Chief of all the American people?
On Thursday, I noticed something on The Verdict that really bothered me. The next day, Josh Marshall of Talking Points ...
|I think I understand the FISA bill. Do I?
A recent claim claim by Lawrence Lessig, a strong Civil Libertarian, made me stop and think. [Obama's] vote for the FISA compromise is thus not a vote for immunity. It is a vote that ...
Today the rule of law, the checks and balances and the rights reserved in the Bill of Rights were damaged as the FISA act was once again altered and retroactive immunity was authorized for law ...
|A house divided against itself cannot stand.
Just over 150 years ago, Abraham Lincoln warned us that "a house divided against itself cannot stand". While the image of national disunion, prophetic as it was, was what captured the national ...
|School Girl vs "Professional Journalist"
Two news stories recently caught my eye, not only for what each one told us about the state of the Republic, but even more so, what comparing them tells us about the sorry state of journalism today. ...
|In Concord, Cannon Law
This is now the fourth posting in my "In Concord" series, in which I have been trying to capture the thoughts and reflections that occupy me when I go to the Old North Bridge in Concord, ...
|In Concord, The Minuteman -- Unlawful Patriot?
This is the third in my series of postings capturing my thoughts and reflections from my frequent visits to the Old North Bridge in Concord, the site to which I most often go to pray and meditate ...
|In Concord, Cycles of History
This is the second of my postings, capturing my thoughts and reflections at the Old North Bridge in Concord, Massachusetts, site of the "shot heard round the world". In ...
|In Concord, Meditations and Realizations
This is the first in a series that I plan to post, capturing the thoughts and reflections that I have when I go to one of my favorite and most sacred places, the Old North Bridge in Concord, ...
|Protecting the Republic
The Democrats are failing us, as the recent FISA Court vote clearly demonstrates. They are not protecting our Civil Liberties, they are cowering before the political threats of a "politically weak" ...
|Yoo: War-time powers NOT in effect
John Yoo Review, part II In part 1 of my review of John Yoo's book, The Powers of War and Peace , I ...
|John Yoo: Historic Flaws
I have been reading The Powers of War and Peace: The Constitution and Foreign Affairs after 9/11 by John Yoo , and my reactions to ...
|Issues Demanding Action
It's been a while since I posted to Vox Libertas . Most of that time has been spent reading and watching congressional hearings and small symposiums. This posting will attempt to pull together ...
|The "Mary Cheney" Question Redux
Before I brought Vox Libertas here to The Daily Kos, I posted an entry commending The Daily Show for its willingness to address the appropriateness of Wolfe Blitzer's asking Dick ...
|Habeas Corpus Redux
One of the key issues that triggered my current focus on political activism, my creating of this blog and my previous post "
|A Government of Men, Not Laws?
One of my concerns regarding the state of the Republic is with what I see as a trend towards a government of men not laws, in a reversal of one of our most important principles. In this diary (a ...
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by Vox Libertas
- A reporter called me a little while ago, and told me that Rep. Gabrielle Giffords had been shot at a public event. She is in critical condition. I’m going to let others comment on what ...374 comments 1041 Recs
- A fine piece highlighting exactly what is going on in the Republican party, it also shows why Rove backed down over O'Donnell, the Koch brothers. This is because Karl's little ...180 comments 197 Recs
- Wow. A quick study from his experience with John Yoo , the Daily Show's Jon Stewart was in rare form ...47 comments 50 Recs
- Crossposted from My ...95 comments 30 Recs
- In his farewell address to the nation after spending 8 years as president, in 1961 Eisenhower warns of a growing danger. Eisenhower on the Military Industrial ...9 comments 4 Recs
- When will the lid finally get blown off the Al Qaeda / War on Terrorism fear mongering? When will the clarion call “this is a new world in which there are a new breed of enemy that requires a ...66 comments 11 Recs
- When I was a kid, early middle-school age, my buddies and I got hooked on a TV show called The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis . Now, we were just kids, ten, eleven years old, and to our minds the ...48 comments 31 Recs
- The United States has had 44 presidents and nobody knows who the 45th will be. For the sake of argument let’s imagine for a minute something that is a very definite possibility. Let's ...34 comments 14 Recs
- Andrew Sullivan reminds us today of something that is missing in all this talk of crosses in the dirt. More below the fold!317 comments 1338 Recs
- Alright, you may see this a just a rant, but I am simply sick and tired of hearing the term "commander in chief"! I am sick and tired of framing our national conversation in terms of national ...23 comments 14 Recs
Vox Libertas's Tags
- No current results.
Vox Libertas's Blogroll
- No current results.