Posting History for aprichard
|11 Important Economic Facts Missing from the Debate
Our public debates are often distorted by misinformation, this is especially true on economic issues. Here is my list of 11 economic facts most Americans don’t know but should.
|Ask President Obama to Answer a Simple Question on Medicare
I have long wanted to have the chance to ask an elected official a simple question – Why do we need private health insurance companies? If we start by assuming that all Americans should have ...
|A Test of Democracy
This election has repeatedly and accurately called a test of post-truth politics. It is not just an election of candidates, it is a test of democracy. Mitt Romney has shown a severe contempt for the ...
|My new Oped in Juneau paper: OWS last chance for middle class
I wrote this oped for the Juneau, Alaska paper . The protests have gotten peoples ...
|My OWS Op-Ed published in my local paper.
My local paper just printed an op-ed that I ...
|A Clear Message: Corporate control of our government is destroying the U.S.
Thousands of protesters gathered in Wall Street and hundreds of other locations around the country to signal that enough is enough. The country is moving in the wrong direction, the political system ...
|We worked hard to give Obama the power of the Presidency, he gave it away
Anyone notice a pattern? –The public opposes continuing Bush's bank bailout, the bailouts continue. –The public supports the public option, the public option dies. –The public supports ...
|My Op-Ed in the Anchorage Paper: Our politics has failed the middle class
Last week the Anchorage Daily News published my Op-ed called Both parties serve entities other than voters . ...
|My Oped on Trickle-Down Economics in the Juneau Paper
One of the most important political stories of the last 35 years has been the Republican success at dividing working class voters and convincing many of them to vote for a party that has actively ...
|The Pervasive Use of Violence as a Political Weapon
The tragedy in Tucson has opened a long overdue debate on the state of our political discourse in our country. Republicans were quick accuse democrats of using the tragedy to promote their own ...
|Why a Payroll Tax Holiday Could Destroy Social Security
Bruce Bartlett is an economics expert, a former Domestic Policy Adviser in Reagan Administration, and a former Treasury Official during the ...
|My Tea Party OpEd Published in Alaskan Paper
My oped on the failures of the Tea Party was published in the Juneau paper today. Here are a few paragraphs but go read the ...
|The Human Cost of Tax Cuts
What does it say about a Party when their policy on their signature issue is based on lies and distortions? The Tea Party claims to be the party that will bring Fiscal Discipline back to Washington, ...
|Requirements for Change: Fixing Our Failed Two-Party System
Every once in a while we need to step back and reassess our situation and plans for the future.Up to now, the progressive blogosphere has focused largely on electing Democrats to office, but the ...
|Unsolicited Advice for Pundits: Politics is not a Sport
I have long felt that the two biggest obstacles the progressive movement faces are the system of legalized bribery that passes for elections in the U.S. and the pathetic state of the modern media. ...
|Can we make campaign finance reform a priority yet?
"the rich have the right to buy more cars than anyone else, more homes, vacations, gadgets and gizmos, but they do not have the right to buy more democracy than anyone else. -Bill ...
|Acronyms of Mass Destruction
For the last year, many people have been staring at their retirement statements in shocked disbelief and wondering how we got into this mess. The answer is a complex and sordid tale of financial ...
|Where Did $5 Trillion Go?: My Op-Ed Published
I submitted an Op-Ed to my local paper and they printed it today in the Sunday Section. The National Debt has increased almost $5 trillion under George Bush's watch.
|Three Speeches, Three Lies about the Bridge
The McCain campaign is grasping at straws, reeling from one narrative to another hoping something will give them traction. They thought they could paint Obama as elitist until they found out that ...
|The GateKeepers: Running the Media Gauntlet
When it comes to the national media, there are no shortage of things to complain about. They routinely blend ...
|Pollution, Petroleum, and Population
I guess I just don’t understand economics. Economists point to things like the unemployment rate, the inflation rate, and consumer spending and tell me not to worry, “everything is great&...
|Paying the Economic Costs of Iraq
Congressman Rangel had the right idea when he introduced legislation to reinstitute the draft. By reinstating ...
|Brilliant Iraq analogy on TPM||aprichard||10/21/2006||26||19||1||6|
|Republican Experiment Failed, My Op-Ed printed||aprichard||10/08/2006||148||563||41||33|
|GOP $50 Million Attack Ad Campaign a Democratic Opportunity||aprichard||09/20/2006||17||14||-||7|
|(AK-AL) Diane Benson Facing off Against Don Young||aprichard||09/04/2006||5||4||-||78|
|Conservative Policies: We Tried Them, They Failed||aprichard||08/16/2006||9||7||-||1|
|The Importance of Understanding Large Numbers||aprichard||07/14/2006||52||19||10||237|
|The End of Cheap Oil: My Peak Oil OpEd||aprichard||06/10/2006||11||14||1||18|
|Who is being naive?||aprichard||05/13/2006||7||4||1||1|
|Daily Kos and influencing the Dem Platform||aprichard||02/11/2006||17||7||-||-|
|Repeal Bush tax cuts to fill the lockbox||aprichard||02/08/2005||6||2||-||1|
|Iraq and war on terror, my op-ed||aprichard||01/30/2005||6||2||-||-|
|A tale of two taxes, my Social Security LTE||aprichard||12/21/2004||7||6||1||22|
|My letter to the DNC||aprichard||12/17/2004||1||1||-||-|
|Framing the Weaknesses of Social Security Privatization||aprichard||12/15/2004||5||-||-||-|
|A graphical argument for advocating reform||aprichard||12/09/2004||12||2||-||8|
|An idealistic plan to fix everything||aprichard||11/30/2004||1||-||1||-|
|Draw a Line in the Sand on Deficit||aprichard||11/29/2004||5||1||-||-|
|Frame 2008: Hold Republicans Accountable||aprichard||11/08/2004||13||3||-||-|
|Remind NPR of their own reporting on Tora Bora||aprichard||10/30/2004||3||9||-||-|
|Incompetence Invites Attack||aprichard||10/25/2004||3||-||-||-|
|proof- Iraq did not make us safer, Bush incompetent||aprichard||10/14/2004||3||-||-||-|
|Top Ten Mistakes Bush Won't Admit To||aprichard||10/09/2004||1||1||-||-|
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by aprichard
- Do we need more proof Washington's not working for middle class families? We got it once again this week. The big banks and their army of lobbyists couldn't stop the creation of a new Consumer ...246 comments 983 Recs
- Suppose you had a bank account and every year deposited $10k. Lets say after 10 years, you decided to splurge and buy a car, so you don't make a deposit and instead attempt to withdraw $15k. And ...45 comments 132 Recs
- A popular diary on the rec list purports to show how little an effect some proposed changes to how Social Security COLA's might get calculated would have on recipients. However, there is a ...33 comments 34 Recs
- Another broken promise but this time, it is epic. Cuts to Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. [In debt talks, Obama offers Social Security cuts http://www.washingtonpost.com/...565 comments 328 Recs
- 466 comments 624 Recs
- Here is a short, and very relevant, history lesson. The Roman Senate governed Ancient Rome for five centuries. It looked much like the Congress today. The purpose of the Roman Senate was to rule ...232 comments 635 Recs
- New Hampshire citizen-activist Doris Haddock ("Granny D") has died, aged 100 according to New Hampshire state representative [Jim Splaine http://www.bluehampshire.com/diary/9492/the-passing-of-granny-140 comments 438 Recs
- In a post on Salon today, Glenn Greenwald reveals to readers the essential tactic of the Democratic Party leadership. It's not trying to get Republican support, it's not filibuster reform, it's not ...1080 comments 787 Recs
- The Supreme Court stabbed Democracy this morning. I was there; I saw it happen. You weren't physically present in the courtroom of the Supreme Court today, but if you signed our petition, you were ...682 comments 1285 Recs
- Tomorrow, the Supreme Court has scheduled a special session at 10am. No one is quite sure what the court is going to announce, but it’s probably going to be something BIG. In fact, it’...713 comments 1083 Recs
- No current results.