Posting History for backell
|Yes, You Can Only Vote for Democrats in a Democratic Primary
So, in case you haven't heard, Republicans have their "proof" of voter fraud being a problem. According to Jonathan Kaminsky of Huffington Post: Alabama Republicans, who offered a $1,000 reward ...
|The Strange, Convoluted Theology of David Brat
David Brat is the new love of the Tea Party, and he's quickly launched into the kind of rhetoric that you can always expect from them, claiming: Capitalism is here to stay, and we need a church ...
|Are Facts Liberal?
Anyone who has tried having a rational, civil discussion with a TeaPublican has had the odd encounter where they are informed the "Fact Check Sites are liberal." Then they give you the "facts" ...
|They Didn't All Die for Our Freedom
To those brave men and women who died to protect our freedoms, we owe our gratitude. To those who gave up their lives under the pretense of defending our freedoms, we owe an apology. We're sorry ...
|#BringBackOurGirls and the Mothers of the Plaza De Mayo
Recently, George Will and the folks at Fox News thought it would be a clever rebuttal to Michele Obama to mock the effectiveness of a hashtag. In typical Fox fashion, they're faux pas could have ...
|The Shameless Slut-Shaming of V Stiviano
It didn't take long, but the media has done the seemingly impossible. They have taken a story about a racist billionaire slumlord who made his coin off of denying the rights of minorities and turned ...
|How I Discovered I Was Contributing to Racism
I remember the first—and only—time I used, the “N” word. I was five, living in Shreveport, Louisiana, and Miss Posey was our nanny. She was a large black woman who always smelled like ...
|The Outrageous Right-Wing Defense of Donald Sterling
With the suspension of Donald Sterling has come a trickle of defenders . They’re not so much defending what Sterling said as his right to say it in his own home and not have that leveraged against ...
|Why the Right Wing Should Embrace Evoltuion
For years I've been trying to find some unifying principle which would tie together the varying and seemingly disparate beliefs of the Republican Party. Some of them are so self-contradictory, it's ...
|"Teaphistry:" The Unintentional Genius of the Tea Party
The Tea Party has an unintentional genius to it. They have stumbled across a new debate tool that is incredibly effective, and its time to give credit where credit is due. They have discovered "...
|Why Brian Banks' Story Is Nothing to Celebrate
Brian Banks, released from prison for a crime he did not commit last year, has been signed by the Atlanta Falcons. This is, of course, great news. If you look at the end of the book only, this is a ...
|The Incentive of Being in the Middle
The problem with any discussion of “left” or “right” in American politics is that everything is relative. Many tend to think of themselves as in the middle, ergo “left” and “right” ...
|Rand Paul's Filibustering Sophistry
Rand Paul's filibuster is being met with all the enthusiasm that the Republican spin machine can throw at a thing. Paul is the latest of the greatest "American" (see only conservatives are real ...
|Why America Has a Dark Future
America has a dark future. No one wants to change the light bulbs. I tried to be equitable and include everyone. But if you come up with more idea I'd be happy to add them in.
|Privatized Gun Control, a Solution for Everyone
In the gun control debate there are two competing interests which make it difficult for the different sides to find common ground. On one side, you have the gun control advocates who, in the ...
|A Sincere and Open Letter to Gun Owners
As pointed out by one reader, this isn't addressed to every gun owner. In fact this is really intended to a minority of the most ardent. If you're a reasonable gun owner whom this doesn't apply to ...
|What if People not Getting Shot Were as Important as People Not Crossing the Border?
Right now there are two separate issues being debated in Congress and around the country, immigration and gun control. As per the usual the consistency of logic from the right is about as ...
|Fallacies in Tea Party Rhetoric 101: Red Herrings and Gun Control
Virtually every Tea Party argument is a fallacy. That's not a scientific poll or anything, just a very biased observation through Facebook meme's, which appears to be where the Tea Party gets the ...
|No Really, Rape Is Always Wrong!
Increasingly, in an attempt to justify their extreme positions on abortion, the extreme-right have even made rape a partisan issue, pushing the agenda that somehow it's the rape victim's fault, that ...
|The Difference Between Conservatives and Liberals
Sure you've heard it before, Republicans and Democrats are all really the same. They both lie, cheat and steal to get whatever they want. Neither really cares about the people, and so on and so forth.
|Did You Hear the One Where Jesus Walked into J.C. Penney's With an AR-15 Strapped to His Back?
Did you ever the one where Jesus walked into J.C. Penney's with an AR-15 strapped to His back? No? Neither did I. But then, that's the point. There is this incongruousness between the "Christian" ...
|On Discourse, Dialogue, Diatribes and Dichotomy
The Republican leadership navigated the Sunday morning talk shows yesterday, bemoaning the failure of the President to reach out his first term. Then they groaned today that his Inaugural address ...
|Why Barack Hussein Obama is the Greatest President of the 21st Century
As President Barack Hussein Obama is set to publicly take the oath of office for the second time today, one thing is immutably true—he is the greatest president of the 21st century.
|Beware of Tyrants in Sheep's Clothing
One of the worst, and ugliest suggestions of the modern-era interpretation of the Second Amendment is that it openly advocates for armed rebellion if you aren't happy with the government. Of ...
|If I Only Had a Gun
I am a Christian. This is only relevant insomuch as it relates to why I went to visit Northern Illinois University the day classes resumed after the mass shooting there. I went there to hand out ...
|Is the 2nd Amendment Really Intended as a Safeguard from Tyranny?
With the Newtown shooting and the subsequent discussion of the changes in gun control laws there has been an inordinate amount of discussion, and much of this discussion is based on wrong premises. ...
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by backell
- Man, what a week for Obamacare. A very, very good week. Steve Benen has the list, but since we've ...54 comments 84 Recs
- Earlier this week, I outlined how the Right-wing media will use Goebbels' principles to lie and obfuscate about the basic facts regarding the Las Vegas white ...15 comments 18 Recs
- 2012 the late (and great) Michael Hastings reported in Rolling Stone Magazine that after one of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's friends was killed in Afghanistan, and after hearing his fellow soldiers talk ...248 comments 388 Recs
- "I know there are people scamming the system -- I've seen them." So said a guy about a year ago who was then renting a room in my house. I tried to tell him that people had previously told me he was ...139 comments 143 Recs
- Rep. Janice Hahn attended the annual non-partisan National Day of Prayer gathering on Capitol Hill yesterday, expecting a unified, peaceful event. But after listening to Dr. James Dobson from ...528 comments 672 Recs
- First, we'll take care of some old business from prior to this week. Often, reports of shooting incidents that qualify for GunFAIL don't come out right away, but turn up a week or so later. ...101 comments 116 Recs
- The federal government estimates in an old survey that as much as 40 percent of gun sales nationwide are between private parties. These require no federal background check. Just released from ...227 comments 118 Recs
- January 30, 2013 ...14 comments 53 Recs
- This morning former Arizona Congresswoman Gabby Giffords and her husband Mark Kelley were among the witnesses at a Senate Judiciary Committee investigating gun violence and gun safety. During Mr. ...211 comments 337 Recs
- If you're a regular reader of Glenn Greenwald's like I am, you may have occasionally come across some rather vicious lies about his character - that he's a right-wing libertarian and that he ...563 comments 279 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.