Posting History for ban48
|Question for Michigan Voters
Dear Michigan voters, I have a question for you: Exactly what did you get out of the Detroit bankruptcy? Snyder's henchmen shook down 22,000 retirees, pillaged the city, and ran up huge tabs. And ...
|The letter that could have prevented the Revolutionary War
We all know the story - the American colonists were being increasingly ground down by British rule, so they listed their grievances in the Declaration of Independence and finally rebelled against ...
|and weathermen lie, cats and dogs don't fall from the sky...
Note: I published this late on a Sunday. I'm going to beef this up with more examples from the junk-science-site (top item from each heading should be good) and republish. If someone were to say "
|Anatomy of a Government Outsource
Here is an interesting example I stumbled upon while browsing the web. I came across SafeBuilt , a company that specializes in outsourcing building inspection departments from local governments. ...
|Fail: I just solved Detroit's problem
Update: OK, this was failed in the comments where it has been court-tested and shot down. It does beg the question though: why is MERS continually allowed to skirt property sales tax. The ...
|Romney's Tax Shell Game - How It Will Work
Romney says he will lower tax rates and close loopholes. Can it work and be revenue neutral? Yes.... You just need to know the difference between lowering tax rates and lowering taxes. He can ...
|Romney's Tax Plan - How It Can Work
Romney says he will lower tax rates and close loopholes. Can it work? Of course it can. It is actually quite easy, even from a revenue-neutral point of view. He can easily lower taxes paid by ...
|Bad Accounting 101: Beer & Peanuts & Social Security
Bad as it is when accounting runs your life, it is even worse when bad accounting takes over. Read & enjoy…
|A Revenue Neutral $300B Stimulus that Saves Social Security....
How about a revenue-neutral $300B plus stimulus that also saves social security? Sound crazy? Actually, it is pretty easy. All we need to do is apply some free-market principles to social security.
|What Buffet Said (clickable charts version)
What Buffet more-or-less said, charts version: (Updated with click-able charts)
|Tax Code Quick Look
The following is a set of charts explaining the US tax code, or more appropriately, the net effects of the tax code. It is more straightforward than you might think, but I'm assuming readers know ...
|You won't fix social security until you fix this
Most people are somewhat familiar with the concept of investing. You put some money in now, and you get paid back later what you put in plus a little extra. The little extra is interest. ...
|More on that $2.6T no-one seems to want...
As I pointed out in a a previous diary , the social security surplus is ...
|We've got your $2.6T, and we're not giving it back
Suppose you had a bank account and every year deposited $10k. Lets say after 10 years, you decided to splurge and buy a car, so you don't make a deposit and instead attempt to withdraw $15k. And ...
|Why We Need to Keep an Eye on Social Security
I missed the President's press conference. It sounds like he is doing the right thing. But, he can't do it alone. We really need to keep an eye out for "calls to be reasonable" and "shared ...
|Some Alternate Charts of the Recession
We've all seen the "Pelosi Chart" comparing unemployment accross recessions. Well, that is just one graph of what is going on. I'm not an economist, but I know my way around excel and make a ...
|Bad News: We're Not Poor
I'm sorry, but I have some really really bad news: we're not poor. No, this isn't snark. Remember the good old years under Clinton? Pick a year, any year - don't matter. Inflation-adjusted per ...
|So, what if it were all an illusion?
What if everything we think we knew about the economy were wrong? What if we could sense it but we didn't have the right language, the right mental construct, the right image to speak to? What if....
|What are the odds...?
So, what are the odds? Does a statistical improbability prove anything? I say “No!” Not only that, in many cases the highly improbable is the most likely outcome. If you're looking ...
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by ban48
- A two step program 1] Educate women 2] Easy access to multiple forms of free birth control. In every country, even regions of rapidly expanding population [eg India] where women are educated and ...193 comments 215 Recs
- 144 comments 73 Recs
- Olympia, WA Yes, the young men are black. The two young men (brothers) allegedly shoplifted some beer from a major grocery store. According to the boys' mother, "They don't carry guns, they ...44 comments 48 Recs
- As I showed in a previous diary , Americans are deeply dissatisfied with the long-term course of the economy. Fewer Americans identify themselves as "...21 comments 16 Recs
- I wrote a diary the other day that apparently struck a nerve. It got passed around some on Twitter and FaceBook and you wouldn't believe the swarm of haters and trolls that swept into the diary to ...284 comments 450 Recs
- "Dead malls," "traffic sewers," "parking deserts." These terms are now common among civic planners. They also have a common origin: suburbia. These are not the usual terms used in public health ...167 comments 242 Recs
- I really have begun to marvel at how much the Central Dogma of molecular biology has worked itself, willy-nilly, into modern popular culture, modern popular psychology. Modern popular entertainment.37 comments 50 Recs
- In the past few years I have witnessesed an exponential increase in the number of teachers begging for money from strangers. These teachers want to spend some money on a pet project, or a class trip,114 comments 163 Recs
- There’s a sign on the wall. There’s always a wall. There’s always a sign on it. The walls are owned by the wealthy and the politicians take turns posting the signs. Those signs tell us who's a "250 comments 241 Recs
- Fight dumbassery everywhere you see it. We've been way too tolerant.600 comments 426 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.