Below you'll find recent contributions related to detroitmechworks's followed authors, tags, and groups.
|Black Kos presents: Reading Group: Thomas Sugrue's Sweet Land of Liberty- Introduction
Welcome to the first diary of this Black Kos-hosted Reading Group series. Of course, you don't have to be a member of Black Kos to join this discussion; it's open for anybody and the more, the ...
|Monday Murder Mystery: Jo Walton's Small Change Trilogy
Life is complicated. The older I get, the clearer that becomes. Sadly, everything else becomes less clear. Distinctions between good and bad, success and failure—they all get a little muddied. It ...
|LGBT Literature: Stonewall
LGBT Literature is a Readers and Book Lovers series dedicated to discussing books that have made an impact on the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people. From fiction to ...
|Book Review: Dire Predictions 2nd Edition
Dire Predictions: understanding climate change By Michael E. Mann and Lee R. Kump DK Publishing, $ 25.00 US or ...
|Open Carry Update
Some of the maps I have found showing each state's status on open carry of a handgun are a bit out of date. I went to the most current sources I could find and produced an updated map to show just ...
|Books So Bad They're Good: The Blue Blood Academic and the Lasso of Love
They’re fixing the gates at Smith College. Heaven knows they need them. The Grecourt Gates, named for the chateau ...
|An American State of Intimidation
“Hey Hank ! How’s it goin’, Buddy ?” “Fair to partly cloudy as ever, Sam. How are you and yours ?” “Can’t complain. Peg’s busy gettin’ Billy Bob graduated from the high ...
|Connecticut Pastor Of LGBT-Inclusive Church Shot In Suspected Anti-Gay Hate Crime||librarisingnsf||05/30/2015||24|
|You Can't Read That!
You Can’t Read That! is a periodic post featuring banned book reviews and news roundups. Kansas City MO library parking garage (note all the banned titles!)
|Books Go Boom! Evelyn Waugh's 'The Loved One'
The Loved One is a short satire with very sharp teeth. It is hilarious in that dry, mordant vein the British mine so well. I'm confident you'll enjoy The Loved One if you like sparkling prose, ...
|Write On! One Impossible Thing
Science fiction writer Jules Verne did not believe in impossible things. In each of his novels, he explained in loving detail how the marquee invention would work. Whether it was launching people ...
|Minnesota woman pulls gun on Muslim couple who were picking their son up from a friend's house
This Minnesota couple got quite the scare while waiting for their son Majida and Adly Abumayaleh say an insane (my word, not theirs) Minnesota woman pulled a rifle on them for having the nerve ...
|Self-publishing 101: 5 ways to get feedback on your book
A hearty thanks to James Wells for hosting the last SP 101 ! Before getting started, if you're in the Bellingham, WA area, I'll mention his book launch for The Great Symmetry at 7 pm this Saturday .
|Bookflurries-Bookchat: The Book I Didn’t Write
Welcome to bookchat where you can talk about anything...books, plays, essays, and books on tape. You don’t have to be reading a book to come in, sit down, and chat with us. Last week at ...
|An Other Feminism: a review of Hilary Klein's book "Compañeras: Zapatista Women's Stories"
By Charlotte Maria Sáenz May 27, ...
|Comfort Makes Me Right: Indigo Kalliope: Poems From the Left
Copper, cotton and fool's gold beaten into mash, shoveled down maws of metal monkeys, greater than the sum of ribs, thumbs, and vertebrae. Acid leak squeals spray from split purple lips. Road ...
|The "Magic" Gun Theory
With the NRA pushing stories of people using guns to protect their lives and homes in social media, we are seeing comments from the peanut gallery (or gunnut gallery?) on crime stories stating that "...
|Young People's Pavilion: Bedtime For Chickies
"To write a good young picture book ... You have to write with all the skill of an adult who understands words, rhythm, rhyme, character, and story and all the heart and soul of a child who ...
|The Book Bear||05/24/2015||1|
|Books So Bad They're Good: A Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Summer in Badbookistan
'Tis summer, and time for a middle aged woman's fancies to turn to thoughts of bad books. Not only bad books, of course. I picked up several excellent books at Kalamazoo last week, two of which I'...
|Write On! Pacing
Hello, writers. Last week we talked about making time pass in a narrative. Now I’d like to talk about a related area, pacing. Pacing a story well means spending as little time as possible over ...
|Bookflurries-Bookchat: Driver, Follow That…Book!
Welcome to bookchat where you can talk about anything...books, plays, essays, and books on tape. You don’t have to be reading a book to come in, sit down, and chat with us. It is necessary in ...
|Wonder What Bin Ladin Read in Bed?
Need to know what volumes were on Bin Ladin's bookshelf? Curious if his reading tastes were close to yours? Ever consider if what you read makes you who you are, or is who you are dictated by what ...
|Indigo Kalliope: Poems from the Left: May's 3rd Tuesday & Salute to a Friend
So, here I am, racing another deadline, though I've had a pretty good idea of what I was going to write about for at least a few days. As long as I've admired the work of poets I have the privilege ...
|UPDATED: GunFAIL proves too hot for Pinterest, but the backlash is even hotter
Yes, it's been a while since I've done a GunFAIL update here at Daily Kos. But no, I never stopped keeping records on accidental shootings, guns left behind in bathrooms, and the like. In fact, I ...
Recommended by detroitmechworks
- We've been told repeatedly that if only Eric Garner hadn't resisted, or been so fat, the medical examiner wouldn't have found that his death was a homicide due to asphyxiation . We've been told ...145 comments 275 Recs
- It's time to put on the long johns. Tom Rush, a participant in the "Great folk scare" and mentor to musical legends Joni Mitchell, Jackson Brown and James Taylor (and others), was the first to ...16 comments 25 Recs
- Oh, this is rich. During the Christmas holidays, a gay couple had their apartment door carved out with the word, 'FAGGOTS,' a tactic one might use to demean and intimidate. Instead, the residing ...89 comments 364 Recs
- We're in Idaho, this time According to Idaho police, the two intoxicated men walked into the Post Falls Walmart and proceeded to remove BB guns from boxes, before loading one and firing it four ...86 comments 279 Recs
- We entered Afghanistan with rage and the need for vengeance in our hearts. The reasons for preemptive war with Iraq were clouded by a miasma of lies. 13 years later, we are supposedly "leaving" ...76 comments 95 Recs
- It really just shouldn't (it's the only resolution I could ever make) If you know Adult Swim, the gleefully raunchy nighttime programming block, you might assume that the “Robot Chicken” ...13 comments 14 Recs
- The New York Times, a day late and a dollar short, has called for prosecutions for the torture program under the Bush/Cheney White House. To the great dismay of many decent human beings, President ...74 comments 83 Recs
- The way to honor those who defend our liberties with their lives — as did my father and grandfather — is not to curtail liberty, but to exercise it fully in pursuit of a just and peaceful ...103 comments 321 Recs
- It never ends.60 comments 94 Recs
- I’ve burned through quite a few hours this weekend—since Friday, in fact—writing a piece which, I’ve just realized, parallels much of what University of Texas/Austin Professor Emeritus ...387 comments 361 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.