Posting History for diomedes77
|The reasons the Dems were crushed, and the likely lesson they'll take from the crushing.
We don't have all the data in yet to know exactly why the Dems were demolished well beyond even the GOP's best hopes. But we can make some preliminary judgments. IMO, the biggest reason overall is ...
|Anti-Capitalist Meetup: An Alternative Economic System, Part II
The Stone Breakers, by Gustave Courbet. 1849 At the end of Part I, I said we, as communities, regions and nations should be able to ask the following, when it comes to public projects, without ...
|Anti-Capitalist Meetup: An Alternative Economic System. Part One.
Think outside the box. Way outside it. That's the key when it comes to the "vision" thing. Most attempts at vision handcuff themselves to the strange idea that everything must work within the frame ...
|Anti-Capitalist Meetup: On "The Making of Global Capitalism"
As a first group diary, this will be fairly narrow in scope and ambition. There have already been numerous excellent reviews of The Making of Global Capitalism , and a symposium over at Jacobin . It'...
|The Misdirection and Expansion of "Rights."
With the latest ruling on abortion buffer zones, we have yet one more strange expansion and inflation of a "right," one which seems completely without connection to the right as stated, one ...
|Original Intent: Why should we care?
I've always been fascinated by our Revolutionary period, and have read a lot on the subject. My shelves are filled with books by authors who concentrate on America in the 18th and early 19th ...
|What's the Matter With Jersey?
Brief diary this time: Thomas Frank wrote a very interesting book a few years ago about the phenomenon of some voters, generally conservative, clearly voting against their own economic interests. ...
|Zimmerman and the Presumption of Innocence
There is a key aspect to the Travvon Martin case that I have not seen addressed yet. There is an obvious conflict in the idea of presumption of innocence under Florida law, which is heavily ...
|It's not logical to limit magazine size.
And every time I see someone talk about how limiting magazine sizes would have saved the eleventh, fifteenth or twentieth victim in a massacre, I want to throw something at the screen. Follow the ...
|Racism: What it is. What it isn't.
Racism is the belief that certain races are inherently superior to others, and therefore should dominate. Racism is the belief in racial superiority and supremacy. Racism is not "looking at things ...
|Is there a super-rich lefty who could go up against Murdoch?
Taking a rif from Kos's recent diary about Current TV, I thought about what it would take to really counter the growing right wing machine, set in motion by, among other things, Reagan's erasure of ...
|This Twisted Nation: Guns before food, clean water, shelter and healthcare.
This will be a relatively short diary entry, though I may update it later. Main reason for writing it? I'm just gobsmacked that we, virtually alone of all developed nations, enshrined the ...
|The 2nd Amendment and Tyranny: Who defines what is tyrannical?
As many of you already know, there has been much talk from the right since the Newtown massacre about the "original intent" for the 2nd amendment. For decades, only the right-wing fringe would ...
|Obama is boxed in on taxes and spending.
He couldn't counter one of the biggest holes in Romney's ideology tonight: Romney says he won't raise taxes because it will kill jobs. But he is perfectly willing to cut spending which will kill ...
|Conservative misunderstanding of the economy: The fundamental issue of the hour.
Anyone who has ever debated the economy with conservatives knows that it's a tough slog. Anyone who argues with them online has heard all the usual silly conservative retorts: "You're just jealous!" "
|Collectivism versus Individualism: Billionaire funded distortion
For as soon as the distribution of labour comes into being, each man has a particular, exclusive sphere of activity, which is forced upon him and from which he cannot escape. He is a hunter, a ...
|Making a living vs. Making a Killing
Most Americans just want to make a living, not a killing. Most capitalists, however, start (or buy or invest in) a business to make a killing. Making a killing requires victims/losers -- direct and ...
|You need us, liberals!
(The following is a revision of a response to another diary) Be proud of the silly stereotypes tossed off by righties. Wear them as a badge of honor, nor horror. . . . . One thing that drives ...
|The End of Standards and the Ron Paul Phenomenon.
I think America needs to have a serious debate about basic standards and expectations. The Ron Paul phenomenon points to the destruction of those standards and expectations, and all too few seem to ...
|Ron Paul: States Rights before Civil Rights
To me, one of the most amazing political stories of the last few years has been the emergence of Ron Paul. It's all the more amazing that he has been able to capture the nearly blind adoration of ...
|Demand More!!! A "level playing field" is not enough!
We hear it all the time. We hear the calls for a level playing field, or an equal application of our laws. Generally, it's liberals and progressives calling for those things, usually in response to ...
|Capitalism is like cigarettes
And neither liberals, progressives or conservatives understand what that means. The right wants their ciggies without filters. Liberals and progressives, OTOH, want to smoke, too, but they want ...
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by diomedes77
- "In dark days, men need a clear faith and a well-grounded hope; and as the outcome of these, the calm courage which takes no account of hardships by the way." Thus begins " ...10 comments 13 Recs
- Since the Midterm Elections, speculation and blame is running rampant on Social Media as well as in the traditional media. Many wonder why there was such a low voter turnout, and why Democrats ...1587 comments 504 Recs
- By many reports, there were over 300,000 people demanding action to combat the menace of Climate Change today in New York City. Here are a few sights and sounds from this historic day along with a ...28 comments 134 Recs
- I have recently been thinking a lot about building a feminist movement irrespective of our differences of analysis and experiences of oppression and exploitation. As I often do when looking for ...78 comments 19 Recs
- (crossposted at Humanitarian Left and at Firedoglake ) When I see headlines like this on my Facebook feed: "Even if a small ...71 comments 50 Recs
- Recent Supreme Court rulings highlight the persistent presence of misogyny in the US. Megan Amundson, executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts, expressed her anger over the Supreme Court�97 comments 95 Recs
- Things are certainly going to crapola for many poor Central American children these days. But at least they are not having their lives ruined by elected socialists. Barbarism is so much better. ...65 comments 26 Recs
- I didn't really plan on writing a diary today. I am supposed to be working. The first notice I got that the buffer zone legislation had been overturned was from Planned Parenthood Action Fund. I ...282 comments 569 Recs
- It’s been one of those weeks where so many things have come to light that I simply do not know where to begin writing first. I sit there and think, which of the various things that I have been ...72 comments 30 Recs
- Don't worry, Target and Nabisco. I have no racist motivation. I just like to tenderly cradle packages of cookies that are black on the outside and white on the inside. And are made in Kenya by ...252 comments 187 Recs
- No current results.