Back in June I wrote a pollyanna diary about the loss in the WI recall election of Walker. This may become a series but here's another one about the Michigan assault on labor act that just passed. Maybe there is some good to come out of this horrible act.
This is my on going series of recipes from my Italian grandmother and mother. My grandmother was very frugal and to a great extent so is my mother. But they always served great food because the two are not mutually exclusive. So here's an easy peasy way to serve canned peas in the summer and make them taste great.
I know we are depressed about the losses in the recall elections in Wisconsin. But I want to channel my inner Pollyanna and bring you the silver lining in the gloomy clouds of this election year post Citizens United. Here is the good news. Wisconsin progressives, liberals and Democrats will not have a lull between elections. How is that good you ask? Let me tell you about our experience in the Ohio's second congressional district after the Kerry defeat. Follow me down past the orange winding flourish that substitutes for a road around here.
I live in the PA06 district and unfortunately I am represented by Jim Gerlach. He's been around for a while, never ever goes against the republicans but was not exactly the tea bagger type. But they've all become tea baggers now. Under his franking privileges, he sent me a letter regarding his and their big plans for medicare. God help us.
I've been posting from time to time about good cheap food. Most of the recipes I learned from my immigrant Italian grandmother who gave new meaning to the word frugal. So in honor of her here's a twofer below the orange flourish.
I live in Chester County, Pennsylvania which has been a republican stronghold for almost forever. I live in a particularly heavily republican area in the central-northwest part of the county. My home is about 10 miles from Lancaster County but the Amish farms start in this corner of Chester County not too far up the road from where I live. So I thought I'd give an update of my little precinct as of this afternoon.
I have been having a streak of bad customer service this week from businesses and retailers. I also read Lightbulb's diaries about working retail. In the comment section of his latest work of art was a discussion about what to do about bad customer service. Basically, the advice from all the retail workers was call the corporate offices because talking to a manager usually doesn't do any good.
This isn't much of a diary but I thought some might like to know what is happening or not happening in the northwest corner of Chester Co. PA. Chester County is the last county west of Philadelphia considered part of the metropolitan area. About 15 minutes from my house is Lancaster County. We have Amish farms in Chester County along the border of Lancaster County. The northwestern part is still rather rural with subdivisions plopped in between farms near the small municipalities.
I don't know why I'm getting all these calls from different republican front groups lately but today's call was a robo call from the NRA. No one in our household owns a gun or has over owned or shot one. We are registered Democrats. I'm still trying to figure out who sold what list that my phone number was on. On to the gist of the call below the lovely squiggle (looks rather country French or Provencal).
I've started this series of good cheap food to help people eat well cheaply. I was inspired by Lightbulb's series, Confessions of a Retail Worker. I posted this originally as a comment in one of his diaries. Today's recipe is a dessert because everyone deserves a little sweetness in life sometimes. And what's dessert without chocolate? So here's a recipe for crazy cake.
Italians call it polenta and Americans call it cornmeal mush. Polenta sounds more romantic so polenta it is. Traditionally, the cook stirs and stirs to get keep the cornmeal from lumping, sticking and burning. Cornmeal is very affordable and filling.
The domestic goddess bakes pies. A lot. Because I derive great satisfaction from watching people enjoy my pies. I get requests for pie from friends and family and I am happy to oblige. I spread a little joy.
Recommended by domestic goddess
- Oh, shut up, Tony. Well, sure, okay, it's not a exactly a surprise that Antonin Scalia will be one of the U.S. Supreme Court justices choosing to gut the Voting Rights Act of 1965 by wrecking its ...160 comments 247 Recs
- For the past twelve years I've been painting signs in my garage and putting them up next to freeways. Here are a hundred reasons why: 1) You can say whatever you want. 2) It costs almost nothing.162 comments 485 Recs
- As an engineer, I find myself drawn to taking a systematic approach to solving a lot of our society's problems. Start by laying out requirements, find an option that works, no matter how strange it ...255 comments 169 Recs
- (Cross-posted at Attytood ) To every football fan out there who watched in shock and the opposite of awe Monday night as replacement refs stole a game from the Green Bay Packers even after the ...169 comments 477 Recs
- Chief Justice John Roberts initially sided with the Supreme Court's four conservative justices to strike down the heart of President Obama's health care reform law, the Affordable Care Act, but ...295 comments 204 Recs
- I work for The Villages, a large retirement community in Central Florida, and one of the top 20 privately held corporations in the state. My employer records annual sales of over $1 billion dollars, ...382 comments 983 Recs
- This is a list of Democrats who voted to hold Eric Holder in contempt, from the House Clerk's website . Not too many surprises. Many are likely cowering in fear of the NRA. Jason ALTMIRE (D-PA) ...215 comments 226 Recs
- For want of a nail the shoe was lost. For want of a shoe the horse was lost. For want of a horse the rider was lost. For want of a rider the message was lost. For want of a message the battle was ...422 comments 270 Recs
- Update - As per middleagedhousewife's request, here's a link to contribute to the Barrett campaign: www.barrettforwisconsin.com Update #2 - From Steve Singiser's Nightly Polling Wrap (for those ...483 comments 368 Recs
- 162 comments 201 Recs
domestic goddess's Tags
- No current results.
domestic goddess's Blogroll
- No current results.