Posting History for draghnfly
|Isis, the name
My 6-year-old granddaughter recently spent a morning badgering my iPad Siri about her name and asking for pictures of goddesses. A bit later in the day she was quite excited to hear her name on TV. "
|Sherman, set the WABAC machine to ...
EVIL public education! Boo! Hiss! Waste of money. Teachers with their cushy nine-month jobs riding the gravy train on our dime. How dare they! Republican governor after Republican governor wants to ...
|Is my privilege showing?
“At this point it looked like he was almost bulking up to run through the shots, like it was making him mad that I’m shooting at him.” Are African-American men superhuman? Sadly for them, no.
|Passed in the lame duck session of GWB's 6th year
HR 6407 Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act. Passed by voice vote (cowards) and signed into law December 20, 2006. Yeah, that one galls me a lot. Here's what Wikipedia has on that One ...
|Suggestions for a wannabe activist?
Hey there. I diaried a few weeks ago about my community's botanical garden that was open and free to the public since its start in 1966. Long story short, the University which owns and manages the ...
|The Nexus of Public and Private
Am I wrong to be upset? I must be because I seem to be the only one. My community has a lovely botanical garden and arboretum. McCrory Gardens was established by South Dakota State University in ...
|When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd
No, not a diary about Abe. Or even Walt. We broke the planet. I notice it more each spring. Or, rather, the time of year we used to call spring.
|What Is the "American Way?"
Have you ever browsed through a Federal Depository library? The Federal Depository Library Program was established by Congress to ensure that the American public has access to its Government’s ...
|Who among us?
Who among us has not loved a child? Our child? Grandchild? Niece, nephew, or neighbor? The Sandy Hook massacre has impacted me viscerally. Far more than 9/11. Maybe it's because my granddaughter, ...
|Benefit for ...
I don't know about you all from the big cities, but in my small town we have a weekly advertising tabloid that's delivered to everyone. The Town & Country Shopper carries business advertisements ...
|Syllogism, thou cruel mistress
In computer talk, it's like an IF/THEN statement. IF such happens, THEN thus happens. We're familiar with the classic. All humans die. (major premise) I'm human. (minor premise) I will die. (...
|Gimme some of that old-time GMO
These days it's all genetic engineering and cloning and gene splicing and recombinant DNA. Our friends at Monsanto market the herbicide Roundup and, quelle surprise, have blanketed the nation's ...
|Has the insect world gone buggy?
We've just come off the hottest July in modern times and I sit here pondering on this mid-August morning that feels more like late September. The seasons have gone screwy. The climate has changed. ...
|So Dick Cheney got a heart
And my brother-in-law died last night because he didn't. The bravest, strongest person I've ever known is gone and Darth Vader goes on. No, I don't blame Dick Cheney for John's death. I know his ...
|Only bill is a clean bill
Do it! Do it like it's been done dozens of times before with no fuss and little fanfare. Mr. Reid, Mr. Boehner, do it now. The time for "negotiation" has ended. There can be no compromise. The only ...
|Is default the end game?
It occurred to me last night while listening to a discussion of what might not be paid in the event of a default. Among the suggestions were Social Security, etc. We know they don't care about the ...
|Social "insurance" programs?
I'm watching Lawrence O'Donnell. Austin Goolsbee is the interviewee. I don't know how to interpret what I heard.
|Union ≠ Omnipotent
I miss Studs Terkel. Wouldn't it be great to ...
|A Simple Tax Cut Proposal
Billionaires, trillionaires, Joe Schmo. Everyone pays taxes. Income tax, capital gains, payroll, sales, etc. As much as they like to whine about it, taxes don't really "hurt" those who can afford ...
|Sometimes I love my job
I work in the government documents department of a Federal Depository Library. As part of my job I participate in several listservs. Today, a message announced this site.
Chris Matthews annoys me to no end, but occasionally he makes a cogent point. Tonite in his "Let Me Finish" segment, he called on Obama to establish an Environmental Corps. A new CCC. Watch the clip.
| Bring back the CCC
My PBS station rebroadcast American Experience Civilian Conservation Corps tonight. I cried. Again. Is it possible that we could ...
| Is there an environmental engineer in the house?
I have questions about the Gulf Coast situation. Oil has reached land and is making its way into the marshes. I've read some of the remediation suggestions. Burning the oil off, etc. What I want to ...
|My dumb as a box of rocks state
I live in one of the Midwest corridor states. South Dakota. There's nothing much out here 'cept a few fence posts. The country is wide and flat and open. And windy. There is no such thing as a calm ...
|Death Panel: Self-fulfilling prophecy?
Like other sane people, I am aghast that such scare tactic would be used and even more shocked that it is actually believed. My great-grandmother killed herself because of an identical story.
|Lose the legal label
In the days since Dr. Tiller's assassination, I have read and heard the word "legal" too many times. The procedures were legal. Women were exercising their legal rights. Etc. In fact, Rachel Maddow ...
*Yet Another Reproductive Rights and Abortion I have recommended in a couple of comments the e-publication When ...
|The real tragedy of Dr. Tiller's murder
I am a mother of two lovely daughters and a doting grandmother of two absolutely adorable urchins. I've been pregnant. Loved it. I've given birth. Except for the last 30 minutes or so and the ...
|I want to be energy efficient
Our old house has needed these improvements for some time and this year we can finally afford it. First on our list is to replace the old wood storms and screens with aluminum combinations. They ...
|Today a telemarker hung up on me
I'd just like to query the hive mind here. I don't usually diary so if this is inappropriate, I'll delete it. This afternoon I got a cold call from "Card Services." Press "9" to speak to a ...
|Daschle - The right man for the job
Disclaimer: I live in South Dakota and I'm a fan of our boy. I have a professional as well as a personal interest in Daschle's career. He donated his career papers - 2,000 linear feet - to South ...
|Who gets to choose?
Obviously not women. Or their doctors. John McCain has made "choice" a major plank of his healthcare plan. Choice of insurance plan. Choice of doctor. Choice of treatment. From McCain's website:
| Move the decimal
Imagine if you will that you've left the water running in your sink and flooded the house. Grover was supposed to watch over you that you didn't do that but he got busy fighting with the neighbors ...
|What's the difference ...
between Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Gonzalez, Feith, et al, and a hockey mom?
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by draghnfly
- As some in the traditional media have a field day tormenting would-be Republican presidents with the hypothetical "if you knew then what you know now" on Iraq, the large universe of us who knew ...169 comments 156 Recs
- 28 comments 215 Recs
- Austin city manager holds bizarre training session on how to deal with female-dominated city councilFemale city council members asking too many questions, as females do. Residents of Austin, Texas recently elected several women to the city council. For the first time in the history of Austin, the ...169 comments 168 Recs
- President Barack Obama is in a fierce debate, most notably with Senator Elizabeth Warren, regarding the Trans Pacific Partnership. As a free trade advocate, I'd like to be able to take the ...360 comments 194 Recs
- With a heavy dose of condescension, President Obama went after Senator Warren today, attacking both her critical thinking skills and her integrity in one fell swoop. From an interview with Yahoo ...761 comments 143 Recs
- In the UK elections, there were two big winners -- the Tories and the Scottish Nationalists. The losers were the pollsters, who believed that there would be another hung parliament, along with ...85 comments 66 Recs
- In the past few years I have witnessesed an exponential increase in the number of teachers begging for money from strangers. These teachers want to spend some money on a pet project, or a class trip,114 comments 163 Recs
- The stones used to build the fire lookout tower atop Harney Peak were hauled up by mule when it was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps from 1935-1938. Harney Peak, the highest point in the ...22 comments 112 Recs
- A New York teacher has written a remarkable letter to Diane Ravitch explaining how the focus on standardized testing is hurting her students. Her first-grade students . Even though these kids won'...120 comments 111 Recs
- After analyzing thousands of pages of documents obtained through the Freedom of Information Act, CNN's Barbara Starr and Wes ...169 comments 220 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.