Below you'll find recent contributions related to mogmaar's followed authors, tags, and groups.
|Open thread for night owls. Anthony Russo: a whistleblower on torture who should not be forgotten
When the news first came out that the United States had tortured suspected terrorists, there were three responses: Some Americans said, good, they deserved it; some were shocked and appalled; some ...
|Midday open thread: Dissing Charles Darwin; celebrating Jeff Davis; trying BP executive
Today's comic by Tom Tomorrow is Privacy talk :
|Abbreviated pundit round-up: Now it's Hillary, Bernie, Martin; domestic spying corrodes democracy
Doyle McManus at the Los Angeles Times writes— Bernie Sanders: Why the guy who won't win matters : Sen. Bernie Sanders, the self-described socialist who kicked off his presidential campaign on ...
|Open thread for night owls: Missing statistics make evaluating our criminal justice system harder
Matt Ford at The Atlantic writes The Missing Statistics of Criminal Justice : After Ferguson, a noticeable gap in criminal-justice statistics ...
|Book Review: Dire Predictions 2nd Edition
Dire Predictions: understanding climate change By Michael E. Mann and Lee R. Kump DK Publishing, $ 25.00 US or ...
|The white riot that burned Greenwood to the ground
Smoke billowing over Tulsa, Oklahoma, 1921 The Oklahoma "where the ...
|Denise Oliver Velez||05/31/2015||241|
|This week at progressive state blogs: Monica Wehby returns; Gov. LePage pretends on income tax
This week in progressive state blogs is designed specifically to focus attention on the writing and analysis of people focused on their home turf. Let me know via comments or Kosmail if you have a ...
|Solutions for the Urban Heat Island Effect
There were 33 proposals submitted to this Climate Colab contest solutions to the urban heat island effect in Cambridge, MA recently. I wonder if any of these would be useful in India too. http://...
|Spotlight on green news & views: Hot Alaska; Hot India; Hot Pacific; Doomsday clock adjusted
Red-Earred Slider. See Lenny Flank's photo diary . Many environmentally related posts appearing at Daily Kos each week don't attract the attention ...
|This week in science: from icy worlds to warm-blooded dinos
Images of Pluto returned by New Horizons. Click image for background on mission This week more images of Pluto were released by the New ...
|Open thread for night owls: And now for a bit of feline delight
It's Friday, so forget politics for three minutes and watch these felines have a blast in a cardboard cat maze. Notice they can't even herd themselves. Best part after 2:05.
|Midday open thread: Arctic ice at record low; Sandy victims blame Christie; Bush and the coal barons
Today's comic by Mark Fiore is Mitch McConnell and Snuggly the Security Bear Beg to Spy :
|Those guys who boosted the 'surge' in Iraq? They're eager to do it again
Explosions in late 2014 variously described as an ISIL truck bomb or a U.S. airstrike in the town of Kobane on the Turkish-Syrian border. ...
|Down and Out in Brooklyn and Queens
New York, I love you, but you're freaking me out. I've been working full time and trying to find a place to live that I can afford and it is going nowhere. Bouncing back and forth between Brooklyn ...
|The Real Reason Hillary is a Prohibitive Favorite in 2016
"The Chinese have this great saying that women hold up half the sky. So if you are holding up half the sky, you ...
|Open thread for night owls: Too many of the people in Washington do not rep those who elected them
Blast from the Past . At Daily Kos on this date in 2014 — Texas legislature gives 1.5 million poor residents the finger :It's not enough just to ...
|SpiritSisters: Writing In Women's Voices. New diary series
Graphic by Michelle Robinson. Used by permission of the artist. Activist women have walked many different paths, and have come from many different places and life experiences to get to where we ...
|Denise Oliver Velez||05/28/2015||107|
|EPI: Government's state jobs report for April shows recovery still plodding
Click here and scroll briefly for an interactive version of this map.
|Midday open thread: Is rent out of reach? Col. Graham retiring; Cubans not keen on Marco Rubio
Today's comic by Ruben Bolling is Introducing Louis 'Flash' Maltby :
|Income inequality reflected in mental health statistics, according to new study
A new study from the Centers for Disease Control— Serious Psychological Distress Among Adults: United States, 2009–2013 —confirms what common sense and the experts have long told us: The ...
|Could Jeb Bush's time on boards of corporations with legal troubles become a 2016 focus?
Busy, busy, busy. Ron Green at the Associated Press has taken a look at all the corporate and non-profit boards and advisory boards Jeb Bush has served on since he ...
|Nebraskan lawmakers override Gov. Pete Ricketts's veto to abolish state death penalty
State Sen. Ernie Chambers finally won his 38-year battle to get Nebraska's death penalty repealed. With Wednesday's override vote in its one-house legislature, Nebraska ...
|Spotlight on green news & views: Shooting a black rhino for fun; extreme rainfall; protesting Shell
Check out OceanDiver's post . Many environmentally related posts appearing at Daily Kos each week don't attract the attention they deserve. To help get more eyeballs,
|Texas & Alaska Floods: El Nino & Hot Oceans Start a Year of Hellish Weather. It Will Get Worse.
There's too much heat in the oceans. Way too much heat. Hot water has surged across the equator in the Pacific and a deep pool of very hot water is building off of Mexico's west coast. Tropical ...
|Midday open thread: Drug cartel builds CCTV network; 'clickbait' enters dictionary; microbead ban
Today's comic by Matt Bors is Reasonable measures :
|Big media's sneering, dismissive coverage of Bernie Sanders is a plague on democracy
The media are more interested in ...
|As Texas floods, now is the time to examine its teaparty Republicans
Drone video of flooding in Central Texas over Memorial Day weekend. The drought in Texas ended with a wet, thundering bang last weekend, but the political hypocrisy may just be getting started. ...
|Open thread for night owls. Cole: Kaplan's call for renewed imperialism in Middle East is boneheaded
Let's have some more cakewalks, 'kay? Robert D. Kaplan recently wrote a piece (behind a paywall) saying it's time to bring imperialism back to the ...
|It's flooding down in Texas
Whole Foods Market on Lamar ...
|Sanders makes run official: If people 'fight back, there is nothing that can’t be accomplished'
In a speech peppered with introductory "brothers and sisters," Sen. Bernie Sanders on Tuesday made official his entry into the primary battle for the Democratic presidential nomination framed by ...
Recommended by mogmaar
- The Progressive Change Campaign Committee and Democracy for America are ramping up the pressure against Republicans in Wisconsin. Today we are launching a robo-call campaign in key districts to keep ...104 comments 263 Recs
- Ocean water, heated by global warming. is melting glaciers in West Antarctica from below, potentially unpinning glaciers that have bases well below sea level.189 comments 250 Recs
- Harry Reid spoke bluntly on energy issues. Looking the Faux and Balanced cameras square on, he spoke truth: Coal makes us sick ...12 comments 29 Recs
- Many Obama campaign staffers, who are part of the PCCC's 650,000 person membership, sent us emails about Obama caving on tax cuts. The response was overwhelming. Here are a few: ...851 comments 845 Recs
- One overlooked election tidbit: GOP gains in state legislatures (and governors’ offices) will throw a major wrench into efforts to slow climate change. What follows is an explanation on why ...20 comments 30 Recs
- Like boatsie , I'm reporting and tweeting ...7 comments 18 Recs
- Cross-posted at Eclectablog.com . Last week in Ann Arbor, Van Jones spoke at the Ecology Center 's 40th anniversary. ...411 comments 378 Recs
- Well, this took all day. Arrived home last night completely adrenally fried. I tried to take the pictures no one else might take. I hope you enjoy them. They make me weep as my heart overflows ...247 comments 550 Recs
- Proposition 23, known as the Dirty Energy Proposition for its financial backing from oil companies, has garnered national publicity for its effort to roll back California's greenhouse gas law. ...67 comments 258 Recs
- Jimmy Carter started it all by installing solar panels on the White House and pushing hard for renewables and energy independence. Then came Reagan/Bush and 30 years of a Republican-driven agenda ...318 comments 446 Recs
- No current results.