Posting History for onceasgt
|The first step on a long road
I was 7 when President Kennedy was killed. I think it was the first step on the long road that brought this nation and a generation to the point where hope is hard to believe in, and cynicism ...
| Home for Thanksgiving
I like to spend the day before Thanksgiving getting things ready. Mr. onceasgt understands and leaves me to it. Friends and family are coming. New friends and old.
|Autumn Leaves and 100 doors
This weekend I certainly got my exercise. I knocked on 100 doors. I talked to 37 people. I gave out Commit to Vote cards. But, I think the most good I did was a conversation that wasn't supposed to ...
|Saturday, in the park.
I live in a small city in a rural area. The residents call it a city. I'm originally from NY- I call it a small town. But, each of the small cities and towns here have a summer festival, of some ...
Back in October I wrote a diary about Al. " I have these pictures..." He came back to see me the other day. We had coffee and we talked. And this amazing man and I found out more about each other.
|Baseball, Dads and Love
Today is Opening Day. If I have to tell you Opening Day of what- you may not understand this diary. But- if you know Opening Day- and like me consider it a holiday, you will.
As I checked my email yesterday evening- there it was. "Congratulations, you have been gifted a lifetime subscription from an anonymous donor" I was stunned-Although I lurked here many years, I am ...
|Making "Family"- Memories of Military Thanksgivings
Turkey is in the oven and the rest of the house is still sleeping. A fairly odd assortment of guests are due in about 5 hours.But already the memories of Thanksgivings past are here. While in the ...
|" I have these pictures..."
A couple of days a week I sell antiques in a small shop in a small town. Lately about half of the people that come in the door, come to try and sell something.Last week, an older gentleman came into ...
|About those "entitlements"
As Washington looks to squeeze savings from once-sacrosanct entitlements like Social Security and Medicare, another big social welfare system is growing as rapidly, but with far less ...
|"Less than 1%"
While being inundated by 9/11 retrospectives, something that Tom Brokaw said keeps echoing -"Less than 1% of the population of the United States has born the burden of 10 years of 2 wars" ...
|What was missed by most in the President's Speech to the American Legion
But in this tough economy, far too many of our veterans are still unemployed. That’s why I’ve proposed a comprehensive initiative to make sure we’re tapping the incredible talents ...
|Visit with my Congressman
Or at least his local office. After some gentle prodding from angelajean, and some encouragement from DaNang65 -Here is my first diary I had an appt this afternoon at Congressman's ...
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by onceasgt
- Instead of interviewing the Vermont Senator on his Sunday "Politics" show, instead of asking his Pundit Panel what they thought of the Sanders' Candidacy, Chuck Todd took it upon himself to single-...196 comments 164 Recs
- How about this : The city (Baltimore) has paid about $5.7 million since 2011 over lawsuits claiming that police officers brazenly beat up alleged suspects. . . . On a cold January afternoon, ...11 comments 7 Recs
- 364 comments 397 Recs
- Imagine for a moment that a man's neck was almost severed, nearly clean cut in the most painful way possible, while in the custody of the people charged with the duty of protecting and serving. ...447 comments 418 Recs
- I come here not to particularly urge that a baseball owner/executive be idolized but it's worth noting what the Chief Operating Office of the Baltimore Orioles John Angelos said following protests ...74 comments 391 Recs
- That was the first offensive thing my boss said to me today. It was not the last. We were building a lawn irrigation system for a large house with a small yard in downtown Chicago. Everything was ...148 comments 217 Recs
- My mom was a hippie activist feminist. The sort who communed nude with nature, and bought her 6 year old shirts with that wonderful quote about fish needing a bicycle. Part of that was being very pro-44 comments 62 Recs
- The current military pension system, in which you get a generous pension after 20 years of service but have no retirement plan if you serve 19 years, could use an overhaul. That doesn't mean that ...45 comments 21 Recs
- 100 years ago the Gallipoli Campaign started. The results was 500,000 casualties. Fuck you Winston Churchill.59 comments 146 Recs
- Thank you to 2thanks first and foremost for his support and his lifesaving visits to the hospital. It meant a lot to see his bright and shining face when I was there in ICU and then in recovery and ...56 comments 212 Recs
- No current results.